BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e36 m3 500bhp

Tags
500bhp
3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  touringRob 
#1 ·
Hi, im wondering roughly how id get around 500bhp from a 3.2 e36 m3? Id imagine forced iduction would be needed but what else ? Anyone have any ideas?

Im also looking for it to be doing a 0-60 time of around low 4 seconds without the use of nitrous?

Also how would i keep it in a straight line with it being RWD when drag racing for example and not just spinning

Thanks

#4 ·
For a 3.2 i stock form you need about 8-10psi , it varies.

You need slicks for such low 0-60, also 0-60 is a terrible measurement of actual performance as you can dial in the drivetrain to do just that a good 0-60..

And slicks again for serious drag racing, lower then 12s

#5 ·
Yea i know 0-60 times are not the best measurement of performance its just i know a good few guys with 400bhp evos, skylines etc and would like to beat them near enough of the line aswell as midrange accelration.

Would a LSD diff on the not help with getting traction ? I actually saw a MR2 off the line which ended up smashing into the tyres , im not really wanting thi happening due to lack of traction and too much power.

Anyone know the rough price of a supercharger / turbo for e36 m3?

#7 ·
well on standard internals and a turbo conversion you'll get a 70-160bhp gain on 6-12psi.. obviously remap on top of that.. 160bhp gain with a remap will take ya up past 450bhp straight away.. near enough 500..

then you can get bigger injectors.. skim your head to bring the compression up.. decent head gasket.. methanol injection.. then you can look into internals (lightend and balanced crank.. uprated crank bolts, pistons, port and polish.. valves, valve stems, springs.. cams.. but standard internals should be enough..

Vanos elimination would be an idea.. as vanos usually commits suicide under boost..

make sure you run a decent, fast spooling turbo.. preferably with an external waste gate.. obviously decat and standard shit like that..

as for getting the power down.. its never easy.. decent LSD, lightend and ballanced fly wheel.. padel clutch.. etc..

big money but well worth it..

#8 ·
skim your head to bring the compression up.. decent head gasket....
I thought with turbos everyone lowered compression to run more boost without getting into detonation and that would be the opposite of what you would do?

#9 ·
Yes you do mate, and there is no remap on top of it lol with out proper mapping it won't work full stop.

To get 500 brake out of a cosworth you generally (depending on what turbo) run around 2bar, (28psi).

So i would imagine that on a 3.2 evo engine you would need 15-20psi again depending upon turbo/supercharger type.

Good turbo's to look at are gt30's and gt35's. You will need to lower your compression ratio for any thing over around 10psi maybe less. This means forged pistons (if your not a pikey), im fairly sure your clutch won't last very long either.

Your stock injectors will not flow enough so you will need larger ones, siemens deka injectors are fast becoming the norm.

Going against the grain a little centrifugal superchargers don't perform as well as an eaton or screw type blower, this is your other option, you will need to run slightly more boost and a lower compression to get the power you want (with an eaton). Probably around 9:1 or in some case even lower. You will get the power you want with a centrifugal type blower and they are easier to fit, but a well speced turbo or eaton will give peak boost and much better mid range power, a centrifugal blower really is the worst of both.

This is just my educated guess work as i haven't ever shown a bmw any FI love.

Rob,

#11 ·
You will need to lower your compression ratio for any thing over around 10psi maybe less. This means forged pistons (if your not a pikey)
What's the pikey option? enlarging the compression chamber or maybe laser cut sandwich plate and 2 head gaskets?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.