325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi newbie here,

Just bought a 94 e36 325i to replace my 2.0 16v fiesta.

Its a great car but just lacks a bit of power compared to what i had.

I want to tune it slightly without spending alot of money. Ive read that M3 cams can be fitted and give a decent gain. From what i can gather only the intake cam is actually a different profile and i keep seeing US spec cams being used. Can UK M3 cams be used, as they will obviouslly be easier to source? Also does it matter which e36 M3 they come from?

Im thinking with the cams and with the BMC carbon fibre induction kit i had on my fiesta fitted, that it should give me a decent gain in the high revs. Especially if i can get it setup to match. Anyone done this and know what kinda of performance increase i can expect?

Also if there are any other ways to improve perfomance on the cheap please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    mikaveli's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil325i View Post
    Hi newbie here,

Just bought a 94 e36 325i to replace my 2.0 16v fiesta.

Its a great car but just lacks a bit of power compared to what i had.

I want to tune it slightly without spending alot of money. Ive read that M3 cams can be fitted and give a decent gain. From what i can gather only the intake cam is actually a different profile and i keep seeing US spec cams being used. Can UK M3 cams be used, as they will obviouslly be easier to source? Also does it matter which e36 M3 they come from?

Im thinking with the cams and with the BMC carbon fibre induction kit i had on my fiesta fitted, that it should give me a decent gain in the high revs. Especially if i can get it setup to match. Anyone done this and know what kinda of performance increase i can expect?

Also if there are any other ways to improve perfomance on the cheap please let me know.
    Your 325i lacks power compared to your fiesta? A fiesta St is 150 bhp, it's lighter so it (should) get to 60 in 7.9 seconds - 0.1 seconds faster, but it's 15 mph slower... and a fwd girls car.

Right, to answer your questions. No a UK M3 won't have compatible cams... sorry. It's a US e36 M3 or nothing.

An induction kit will offer very little (if any) gains, the 325 is already pretty free flowing. Just go for a decent replacement panel filter and a remap - you'll be looking at around a 12 -15 bhp gain.

Other than that, a sports cat exhaust system, upgraded suspension and shedding unnecessary weight are the only real cheap options left.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Sunil325i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaveli View Post
    Your 325i lacks power compared to your fiesta? A fiesta St is 150 bhp, it's lighter so it (should) get to 60 in 7.9 seconds - 0.1 seconds faster, but it's 15 mph slower... and a fwd girls car.

Right, to answer your questions. No a UK M3 won't have compatible cams... sorry. It's a US e36 M3 or nothing.

An induction kit will offer very little (if any) gains, the 325 is already pretty free flowing. Just go for a decent replacement panel filter and a remap - you'll be looking at around a 12 -15 bhp gain.

Other than that, a sports cat exhaust system, upgraded suspension and shedding unnecessary weight are the only real cheap options left.
    My fiesta was a mk3.5 with a 2.0 16v zetec engine. The engine was high compression, with raceline head and matching cams and a few other bits and bobs. Also had a quaife ATB diff. Was featured in performance ford and fast ford and trust me it would eat any 325i easily as id raced a few. Was timed with proper timer gear at Brunters air field 0-60 in 6 seconds and that was in the wet with a std ecu on std map. Defo wasnt a girls car.

http://www.rs1800.clara.net/damos_ass.avi
    http://www.rs1800.clara.net/half_decent_handbrake.avi

Dont know how im going to source some US cams then, why cant the Uk ones be used out of interest?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    US spec M3 was a de-tuned lump. IIRC they only put out 220bhp. Think it was due to emissions laws.
    Euro spec M3 has a different cylinder head

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Sunil325i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve23002 View Post
    US spec M3 was a de-tuned lump. IIRC they only put out 220bhp. Think it was due to emissions laws.
    Euro spec M3 has a different cylinder head
    ah so a US spec m3 has same head as a 325/328 but UK version had a revised head design to make more power. Right makes sense

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    ah so a US spec m3 has same head as a 325/328 but UK version had a revised head design to make more power. Right makes sense
    Thats more or less it from what i remember
    Ill have a look over the weekend and see if i can find any more info

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Sunil325i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    anyone know where to get hold of some US M3 spec cams then, or is there any other cheap options i could go for

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Sunil325i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Also i read the coupes have mtec spec suspension and that it was only an option on saloons. How can i tell if i have the mtec spec and will some off a coupe fit if i get some. Also what is the difference? slightly lower and stiffer?

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    mikaveli's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    My fiesta was a mk3.5 with a 2.0 16v zetec engine. The engine was high compression, with raceline head and matching cams and a few other bits and bobs. Also had a quaife ATB diff. Was featured in performance ford and fast ford and trust me it would eat any 325i easily as id raced a few. Was timed with proper timer gear at Brunters air field 0-60 in 6 seconds and that was in the wet with a std ecu on std map. Defo wasnt a girls car.

Dont know how im going to source some US cams then, why cant the Uk ones be used out of interest?
    For US M3 cams, either use ebay - changing the options to list internationally. Or buy them from BMW UK - you're looking at a grand for the pair.

The US 'M3' is just a tuned M52, it only makes 240 bhp. The euro M3's use a different engine.

Buying a UK 3.0 or 3.2 M3 engine and loom etc is the best bet if you've got money to spend and want a big performance increase - 100bhp plus.

And yeah... a fiesta is a girls car.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Sunil325i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaveli View Post
    For US M3 cams, either use ebay - changing the options to list internationally. Or buy them from BMW UK - you're looking at a grand for the pair.

The US 'M3' is just a tuned M52, it only makes 240 bhp. The euro M3's use a different engine.

Buying a UK 3.0 or 3.2 M3 engine and loom etc is the best bet if you've got money to spend and want a big performance increase - 100bhp plus.

And yeah... a fiesta is a girls car.
    Was thinking of going m3 power but might aswell buy an m3 if i was going to do that. Wanted to do some cheap upgrades to release a bit more poke dont want to spending loads as it aint worth it and ive had enough of spending silly money on cars.

Your just the kind of bloke i liked racing in my fiesta. Just to see there face when theyve been cained off by a 'girls car'

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast