325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mistreku View Post
    hardly, lol.. just kidding, i got the idea. then you're sorted, if it will be mostly a track car, it's all good.
    still going on the road gona be a little sleeper. Im leaving the standard bumpers on. Not going for M-tech stuff, Just the M3 rear wing and going to see if I can get a stealthy front splitter or will make one And yep, one of the people I look for car look inspiration has to be the one and only Chip Foose

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    318i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and only 50k
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mistreku View Post
    yes, you will be able to read your codes, but bare in mind that if your chip hasn't been done properly, it will only give you the 1211 code, which means something is wrong with the ecu. on a stock ecu, this should be pretty accurate, as this is the bmw fitted obd. on a chipped ecu as well, but as long as the chip has been done properly. and not only will you be able to read the codes, but to reset them, as well.

wiring is pretty straight forward, you'll need to wire the pin 8 from the x20 connector (round one, near the fuses box) to pin 16 in the white connector from the instrument cluster. that can be done in no time, the only difficult bit here is finding a hole to get the wire from the x20 connector (under the bonnet) inside the car (to the pin 16 from the white connector, in the right side of the instrment cluster). me, i found a small hole near the positive socket of the car (big red cable).

few more details on X20: as you can see, it's a 2 pieces connector. un-screw the top, and you'll split it in 2 halves: the upper one is the one with the holes, the bottom is the half with the pins. you'll already have 8 number wired in the upper part (should be a grey wire), you'll just need to continue from there with to the wiring to the pin 16 in the white connector from the instrument cluster.

pics will make it pretty clear. if you need any other info, just ask.
    Just had a thought about this.

instead of running a wire from pin 8 in the diagnostic connector (i think your talking about that one from what you've said) to the back of the dials pin 16 in the car to get the EML light to flash in the car.

What about pushing a wire into the pin #8 in the diagnostic port, connecting it to an LED then a wire going from an LED to earth. wouldnt this mean you could connect it, tap the accel. pedal 5 times, read the code and then disconnect it, it would save running wire through the car and removing the clocks etc.

i may try it sunday and let you know the results.

from what i understand running the pin #16 wire to the pin 8? on the clock which would then run to earth is the same setup as i mention above??

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    captain_chaos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 318i View Post

instead of running a wire from pin 8 in the diagnostic connector (i think your talking about that one from what you've said) to the back of the dials pin 16 in the car to get the EML light to flash in the car.

What about pushing a wire into the pin #8 in the diagnostic port, connecting it to an LED then a wire going from an LED to earth. wouldnt this mean you could connect it, tap the accel. pedal 5 times, read the code and then disconnect it, it would save running wire through the car and removing the clocks etc.

from what i understand running the pin #16 wire to the pin 8? on the clock which would then run to earth is the same setup as i mention above??
    Before I done it I had a guick look at the wiring diagrams and yes, you should be able to do that. As that pin 8 in the under bonnet plug goes staight to pin 8 on the ecu.
    I just ran a wire from the connector under the bonnet round the slam pad where the lighting wires run down to the grommet behind the brake servo. put the wire throught the grommet and it comes out next to your accelerator pedal. and just run it into the clocks. Had to poke a little hole on the clocks so I could actually see the Check Engine light go on as it was blanked on my clocks.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    318i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and only 50k
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_chaos View Post
    Before I done it I had a guick look at the wiring diagrams and yes, you should be able to do that. As that pin 8 in the under bonnet plug goes staight to pin 8 on the ecu.
    I just ran a wire from the connector under the bonnet round the slam pad where the lighting wires run down to the grommet behind the brake servo. put the wire throught the grommet and it comes out next to your accelerator pedal. and just run it into the clocks. Had to poke a little hole on the clocks so I could actually see the Check Engine light go on as it was blanked on my clocks.
    in theory i think mine could work, ill give it a go as then it can just be installed to read faults. may even try it when i get out of work.
    i take it that its a 12 volt circuit so a 12 volt LED or bulb is needed?

Has anyone got what each of the pin numbers is on the diagnostics port on the E36? Im looking to find out if one of the pins is an earth??

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    in theory i think mine could work, ill give it a go as then it can just be installed to read faults. may even try it when i get out of work.
    i take it that its a 12 volt circuit so a 12 volt LED or bulb is needed?

Has anyone got what each of the pin numbers is on the diagnostics port on the E36? Im looking to find out if one of the pins is an earth??
    Its a 12v bulb mate. And all you need to earth it is just even a little croc clip somewher on the body.

Here is the link I been using ever since I found on one of the threads. Just Im not sure what pin is the check engine light on a 318. http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW...NG%20DIAGRAMS/
    Last edited by captain_chaos; 15-05-2010 at 17:38. Reason: Link

BMW Master
    Car Details
    318i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and only 50k
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_chaos View Post
    Its a 12v bulb mate. And all you need to earth it is just even a little croc clip somewher on the body.

Here is the link I been using ever since I found on one of the threads. Just Im not sure what pin is the check engine light on a 318. http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW...NG%20DIAGRAMS/
    thanks

Mine is a grey wire running from pin 8 one the dme ecu to pin 8 on the diagnostics port according to the diagrams, once i found the right ones.

i think it may be pin 8 on all models.
    fingers crossed

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    thanks

Mine is a grey wire running from pin 8 one the dme ecu to pin 8 on the diagnostics port according to the diagrams, once i found the right ones.

i think it may be pin 8 on all models.
    fingers crossed
    might aswell try it just means u will constantly have the headache wen the Check Engine light goes on of knowin something is wrong hahaah

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mistreku's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks

i'm pretty sure it will work that way too. i think pin 8 (grey one) is used on all e36 for diagnose, since there's just one diagnose tool for all e36. if anything was different, we'd prolly had different diagnose tools for 320, 316, 325 etc. can't see anything that could go wrong with that. i think you could wire an LED right there, under the hood, and leave it there. just check it from time to time, and see if it's on. if so, check the codes. it's kinda the same thing as having it in the dash.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456