E36 325 LSD Options?

Notices
 

Thread: E36 325 LSD Options?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. E36 325 LSD Options? 
    #1
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    SaintGrimm's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Anglesey
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    It's been a very long time since I've posted in this forum! But it looks like, with the fatal decline of my Ford, that BMW will be my new home in the summer.

    Basically - my friends drift and it looks like a great way to faff about. Not overly expensive and doesn't take years of dedication with and an absolute fortune. I like the fact that you can be a total amateur and still have an awesome day without having to sink thousands into a dedicated track vehicle.

    The plan is; E36 BMW with coilovers and standard braces. I figure it's enough basic modification to give me enough control as well as keeping it pretty close to a standard car. Until I eventually put it into a set of tyres. Or someone else. But that's neither here not there...

    I was wondering what my differential options are on the 323/325? I did a search and managed to get 1 hit with the word 'diff' but '2 Way' and 'LSD' were obviously too short to search

    I heard from someone at a track day that the rear subframe on a Compact is the same as a Z3 and I figured that the Z3 was more likely to come with an LSD as it looks more 'sporting' but then I figured M3's are more common and so it's more likely to have parts but then of course there are propshaft sizes and all that ratios so I quickly got out of my depth.

    I know I could just weld my diff. Having been out with a friend who potters around in a 328 with a welded diff, I know it's not the end of the world living with it but the constant scrubbing is really annoying and the juddering while parking would do me no favours so I am more than happy to spend more and get something I want.
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    payno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    birmingham city
    Posts
    9,490
    Thanks
    2,141
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGrimm View Post
    I heard from someone at a track day that the rear subframe on a Compact is the same as a Z3
    and the same as the E30
    the E36 coupe/loon/vert are all different to the compact
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    SaintGrimm's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Anglesey
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    and the same as the E30
    the E36 coupe/loon/vert are all different to the compact
    I never knew the E30 was the same too! This is why I love decent car-specific forums.
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    wulldo328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328I SPORT
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    wulldo328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    the lsd from an 3.0ltr M3 will fit strait on mate all youd have to do is swap the out put shaft over from your diff and its a strait swap
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1993
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    4,432
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Some 325's had LSD but are extremely rare. Early 328 sports did too and are a straight swap. M3 3l does and it's a straight swap but you need to swap the flanges as above poster says. M3 EVO comes with a large case diff so will require the subframe too
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    danidge's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i + cbr1000rr
    Year of Manufacture:
    98 + 04
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    danidge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    felixstowe
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 152 Times in 143 Posts
    any meduim case diff will fit although it is the input shaft flange that needs changing not the output flanges if you get one from an m3.
    its not as straight forward as changing output flanges and you need to get the pre loads settings right.
    best to look for one from a 2.8 sport as that will be a straight fit or one that has already been converted from an m3.

    my lsd is from an e36 2.5TDS so some other models did have lsd options. its only the ratios that will be different but thats no big deal.
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    payno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    birmingham city
    Posts
    9,490
    Thanks
    2,141
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wulldo328 View Post
    the lsd from an 3.0ltr M3 will fit strait on mate all youd have to do is swap the out put shaft over from your diff and its a strait swap
    Quote Originally Posted by StK View Post
    Some 325's had LSD but are extremely rare. Early 328 sports did too and are a straight swap. M3 3l does and it's a straight swap but you need to swap the flanges as above poster says. M3 EVO comes with a large case diff so will require the subframe too
    Quote Originally Posted by danidge View Post
    any meduim case diff will fit although it is the input shaft flange that needs changing not the output flanges if you get one from an m3.
    its not as straight forward as changing output flanges and you need to get the pre loads settings right.
    best to look for one from a 2.8 sport as that will be a straight fit or one that has already been converted from an m3.

    my lsd is from an e36 2.5TDS so some other models did have lsd options. its only the ratios that will be different but thats no big deal.
    he has a compact lads the rear end is different to the rest of the E36 range
     
     

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to payno For This Useful Post:

    danidge (08-04-2013)

  11.  
    #8
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    wulldo328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328I SPORT
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    wulldo328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    aahh i see maybe fit the rear axel complete from an evo then with the lsd to?

    alot of work i know but could benifet from larger brakes to on the rear.

    and as for the ratios not being that much different in the lsds the 3.15 ratio lsd although not massive it certainly makes noticable difference on the road quicker accelaration
     
     

  12.  
    #9
    Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    payno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    birmingham city
    Posts
    9,490
    Thanks
    2,141
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wulldo328 View Post
    aahh i see maybe fit the rear axel complete from an evo then with the lsd to?
    no the rear axle on the compact is the same as the E30 so nothing from the rear of the coupe /vert/ saloon / touring
    will fit
     
     

  13.  
    #10
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    wulldo328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328I SPORT
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    wulldo328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    hhmm is there any e30,s that had lsds that he could use no?

    a freind of mine was hunting for an lsd for his 318is but also is having no luck at the moment either
     
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts