BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 325 LSD Options?

Tags
325 lsd options
5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  payno 
#1 ·
It's been a very long time since I've posted in this forum! But it looks like, with the fatal decline of my Ford, that BMW will be my new home in the summer.

Basically - my friends drift and it looks like a great way to faff about. Not overly expensive and doesn't take years of dedication with and an absolute fortune. I like the fact that you can be a total amateur and still have an awesome day without having to sink thousands into a dedicated track vehicle.

The plan is; E36 BMW with coilovers and standard braces. I figure it's enough basic modification to give me enough control as well as keeping it pretty close to a standard car. Until I eventually put it into a set of tyres. Or someone else. But that's neither here not there...

I was wondering what my differential options are on the 323/325? I did a search and managed to get 1 hit with the word 'diff' but '2 Way' and 'LSD' were obviously too short to search :frown

I heard from someone at a track day that the rear subframe on a Compact is the same as a Z3 and I figured that the Z3 was more likely to come with an LSD as it looks more 'sporting' but then I figured M3's are more common and so it's more likely to have parts but then of course there are propshaft sizes and all that ratios so I quickly got out of my depth.

I know I could just weld my diff. Having been out with a friend who potters around in a 328 with a welded diff, I know it's not the end of the world living with it but the constant scrubbing is really annoying and the juddering while parking would do me no favours so I am more than happy to spend more and get something I want.

See less See more
#7 ·
Some 325's had LSD but are extremely rare. Early 328 sports did too and are a straight swap. M3 3l does and it's a straight swap but you need to swap the flanges as above poster says. M3 EVO comes with a large case diff so will require the subframe too
any meduim case diff will fit although it is the input shaft flange that needs changing not the output flanges if you get one from an m3.
its not as straight forward as changing output flanges and you need to get the pre loads settings right.
best to look for one from a 2.8 sport as that will be a straight fit or one that has already been converted from an m3.

my lsd is from an e36 2.5TDS so some other models did have lsd options. its only the ratios that will be different but thats no big deal.
he has a compact lads the rear end is different to the rest of the E36 range

#6 ·
any meduim case diff will fit although it is the input shaft flange that needs changing not the output flanges if you get one from an m3.
its not as straight forward as changing output flanges and you need to get the pre loads settings right.
best to look for one from a 2.8 sport as that will be a straight fit or one that has already been converted from an m3.

my lsd is from an e36 2.5TDS so some other models did have lsd options. its only the ratios that will be different but thats no big deal.

#8 ·
aahh i see maybe fit the rear axel complete from an evo then with the lsd to?

alot of work i know but could benifet from larger brakes to on the rear.

and as for the ratios not being that much different in the lsds the 3.15 ratio lsd although not massive it certainly makes noticable difference on the road quicker accelaration

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.