BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 323i what is the standard power?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  salvatore 
#1 ·
hi all.. i have just bought a E36 323i and i am going to be modifying for more power but i want to know what the standard power is ment to be soo i can aim for a reasonable power gain..

its a N reg but i was told when bought it that the engines been changed for 323i from a 98 model and he said the only difference is its a iron block?

can anyone tell me if there is any difference between these engines?

thanks

#3 ·
Welcome to the BMW world!

Well you have -

Engine - 2,494 cc - 6cyl - DOHC - 24V
Power - 168bhp - 181lb·ft
Engine Type - M52B25
Zero to Sixty - 7.9sec
Top Speed - 144mph

For power increase you can aim for 190bhp easily - you will be wanting a 325i M50 Manifold Converstion - which can release up to 30bhp Approx

Get it Chipped or Re-mapped - up to 15bhp

For the engine change he means that the car insially had the Nikasil lined engine that did suffered from bore wear etc... and you have the Alusil lined engine which was BMW answer to the Nikasil fix in 1998 - BUT I only thought that this was only with the 328's - I may be wrong... but that is the only thing I can think of why...

If you want to check... Open the bonnet & stand looking into the engine bay from the passengers side, look straight down the side of the block and toward the rear and you should see it! If not you might have to hunt a bit harder for just the nobled bit (non-Alusil).....depends how dirty the engine is!

Nikasil Block :

Alusil Block :

Hope this helps....

EDIT: Sham you beat me to it...

Reactions: Emaps Scotland
#5 ·
thanks for all the welcomes and the great help in explaining!!

im looking for an m50 manifold at the moment, might have one lined up!

one more question if us wudnt mind answering? is how do i got about getting the trottle bodies modifed? is it just getting them bored out bigger? or am i totally wrong

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.