BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E36 323 tuning mods

11K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  touch_reality 
#1 ·
Hi All

Looking for some advice as to where to start in my quest for more power from my e36 323 coupe??? Totally standard engine-wise at the moment!

Thanks

#4 ·
M50 inlet manifold comes from the M50 2.5l (325) engine. It has bigger inlet ports to allow more air to enter the engine - As it stands, your manifold is slim and narrow and restricts air flow (This is by design) !

I believe, that with the manifold alone, you can jump upto about 192bhp give or take... But someone else will be able to confirm this.

As for the remap, have a word with 'TheEnd'.

#6 ·
Thats a good price, assuming that you get everything included, and you only have to bolt it on :thumbsup

Ask the seller for the part number before you buy too, as some unscrupulous sellers have been masking 320 manifolds as 325 manifolds.... They look similar, but are different !

#7 ·
Nice one, what do i cross reference the part number with? I've dropped a PM to 'TheEnd' regarding remaps as well.

Thanks for your help.

Whilst we're on the subject of airflow/intake, what would you suggest in terms of filters, replacement panel filter or a cone filter? What type?

Cheers

#8 ·
I believe the part number you require is: 11611735727

Alot of people highly recommend the "DaveF" induction kit... But they can be hard to get ahold of, and often very expensive.
I currently have a Pipercross panel filter in mine, which suits me perfect, and I get to keep the standard cold air feed :thumbsup

#9 · (Edited)
remap

Hi Mark,

I think you'll find that Enda's in the Birmingham area(Sorry Enda).We are local and offer a fully mobile service.
You could also PM Alpina527 on the forum here.

He does the manifold conversion 100% spot on and ready to fit with no modifications required and can take your existing one as p/x.You might need a metal plate from your throttle body to manifold to ensure a good tight fit which he can supply also.

You will see good gains with m50 conversion & remap.
DaveF's are rare now but a good panel filter works well.
:thumbsup

#16 ·
Thanks for that. So ... 200bhp should be fairly easy and relatively inexpensive to attain.

Wait a minute ... I can't believe I'm even considering modifying this car!

For one thing, it's supposed to be a short-term, stopgap kind of thing. For another, it's automatic. And finally, it's fairly special even in standard form and it seems a shame to mess with it.

Regardless, I've had several items of interest in my eBay watch list for days, now!

#19 ·
328 cats and backbox (or fancy 328 spec aftermarket) will help, as the 323 came with a 320 type single pipe exhaust.
The 325 and 328 both had twin pipes all the way back, and the 325 one will fit fine, but there is a lambda hole in the 325 exhaust that would need to be blanked off.

#21 ·
Inlet manifold from m50
air filter
exhaust
decat (if you want..)

Then a remap.

If there's cams available, they will help more power too

Reactions: Emaps Scotland
#24 ·
Yea, why not.

BMW engines rarely wear out, they'll out-live the chassis in most cases, and the other common cause of death is cooling problems, then overheating and head problems, but in general terms, you'd struggle to kill a BMW engine* even if you were trying!

*offer not valid on swirl flapped engines, or anything with valvetronic

#28 ·
As already stated, 170k is nothing on an M52 engine. Sensors, water pumps etc are the main things that give up the ghost, nothing major though.

A session on a good diagnostics machine can help rectify where most problems lie. The actual engine will go on for well over 250k if well maintained

#30 ·
There is no midrange loss of power if the manifold is done properly. The torque curve moves up the rev range by 250rpm, certainly no loss

The 325 body is of no use at all. It's exactly the same size as the 328 and has a different profile through the bore.

A proper 328 bbtb has an enlarged bore and bigger butterfly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.