E36 320 upgrade to 323 possible?

Notices

Thread: E36 320 upgrade to 323 possible?

Reply to Thread
  1. E36 320 upgrade to 323 possible? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    way3000's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi Forum.

I've been wondering, what is the main difference between the E36 320i M50 (single vanos) engine and the 323?

Firstly I'll tell what I've found out so far so that you can verify my data

Data:
    The E36 320i (mine) has a M50B20 engine (not the alu M52) with single vanos
    A E36 323 would have a M52B25, since it's a (in a lack of a better word) "downgraded" 325 engine aluminium block. (read from wikipedia)

problem:
    What I was thinking was, it should be able to give the 150 HP engine those last 20 HP and the missing torque? right? (maybe even more unnoticeable for the inspection company, which just check for emision and brakes)

Solution?
    How do I achieve this? is it possible to do that, or would it just be better to find a used M52B25 engine from a trashed 323 and drop it in?
    (or maybe even a 325 or while we're at it 328?)

PS:
    Problem is: I can legally, in Denmark, tune the engine up till the 170+HP without any fear of penalty, the 192/193 325 engine would be too much. (Notice that the inspector dosen't do a dyno on the car, he just tries it, and they are rarely very competent or caring, as long as the emision and the brakes works)

What I thought was to:
    Install cold air intake kit
    Replace intake manifold with one of higher model (not sure which one to take for the 320 engine)
    Install a sport manifold (equal length) for the 320i engine (two seperate pipes per 3 cylinder)
    Replace exhaust with one of a higher model
    And chip the car.

Would I have gotten the HP/Torque gain that I desire?

My thoughts about this is:
    What is the main difference in the exhaust system for the 320i 323i and 325i? (what is the diameter, do they all have the same katalysator and what about the number of pipes going down? some gather to one in the kat others go all the way?)
    What is the difference of the katalysators?
    What is the difference in the intake manifold and throttle body?
    Will I damage my engine?
    Will I need bigger brakes?
    What about the gearbox?
    What of the differential?

I'm not very good at abbreviations so, beside HP and TQ please try to fill in the words for me

Thanks alot for the help!!
    The forum have been very usefull for me in the past, hope it turns out to be this time too

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    Firstly, for a Dane your English is excellent, I'm humbled at how many of our european posters speak and have a better understanding of English than some of the people born here!

Moving onto your questions...

Personally, I would do the conversion to a 323 engine instead of trying to get the extra power from your 320 as it is likely to be easier and cheaper, especially as your car is a 1996 and is running EWS II. Just ensure your source an engine from a late 1996 car onwards and take all of the parts you need e.g DME, Keys, EWS module, exhaust, etc. Brakes are the same and diff will cope but depends on what ratios you want. There are plenty of project guides on here that document this type of conversion.
    Last edited by billywhizz1984; 13-12-2011 at 00:33.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    way3000's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thank you Billy, it's nice to know I'm easy understandable

As I mentioned, I'm not very good at those shortenings of words, so could you please tell me what "DME" and "EWS" is?
    I would guess it's the engine controle box one of them am I right?

I'll belive that the 320 had a higher ratio diff than the 323's so I might have to get one of those too then.

A question I really would love answered would be, if I do carry on with these mods mentioned (I'm not really in a position where I can easily get an engine nor transport it, Denmark is the worlds shittiest car-country ever! so it's quite hard to get that done compared to tuning my existing engine, which is why I even consider tuning before engine swapping)
    Would I achieve my goal of getting enough power to follow a 323 on the quartermile? (just as a measure of equal power)

I would guess I might need a 323 diff to follow that tuning setup I mentioned though, but beside that, what intake manifold would be recommended? I allready have a S-tech exhaust equal length system.

PS: I love your avatar picture, it's just so beardy ^^

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    billywhizz1984's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 323i x 3, 325TDS x 1, 320i x 2, 318is x 1
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 x 2, 1998, 1997 x 2, 1996, 1995
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual, Auto, Auto, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring x 4, Convertible x 2, Coupe x 1
    Images
    Thanks
    DME is the ECU (Electronic Control Unit), EWS is the immobiliser system.

There is a great guide here...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...rmation-thread

If engines are hard to find then you have no option but to improve your 320 but don't expect much!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    way3000's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thank you! it's really helping, and I will try to find a (not brutally raped) engine at first, problem is, as the rules in DK are, either most bought a 325 back then or they allready replaced the 323 engines with 325 ones (which I can't legally do, but somewhat think of doing due to it looks the same as seen by a inspector)

Would it be easy to find and import one from England maybe? I'm not sure what condition they tend to be in and what price range they are available in? (also, does it matter on the engine if it's right or left hand steering?)

Sorry for asking so many, possibly retarded, questions, but I do try my best not to screw it up