320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate if someone can help me. To give a bit of background, I live in Spain and recently the first oval circuit in Spain has opened for racing.I have bought a BMW E36 2 litre to compete in the "lightning rod" class - great fun!

Because it is only short circuit oval racing, drivers tend to pick a gear - usually second, and race the entire race in that gear. There really isn't time to be shifting up and down. The problem I have is that in second, my car is hitting the rev limiter half way down the straight. I've tried third, but there just isn't enough acceleration in the bends. Someone has suggested fitting an automatic diesel diff to solve the problem. My question is would this help, and if so will this diff fit on my car?

Any other advice on gaining a bit more HP from the 2 litre 6 cylinder engine qould be welcome too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    You'll have a 3.45 diff, good for acceleration, but not for speed.

EndTuning - Gear Speed Calculator

The 320i has a small case diff, I think 168mm, compared to 188mm for the 325/328 and 3.0 M3, and the M3 3.2 has an even bigger 210mm 3.23 ratio diff.

To extend your speed you will lose some acceleration, and you'll want a diff with a smaller ratio. A TDS diff is 2.56 but it is a 188mm so to use it, you would need to fit the driveshafts from a 188mm diff car.