Model of Car:
    525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    agree the more mileage and older motor more use out of it, seems as they state that its third generation and can be used on common rail pumps...hard to tell, never tried it

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Just be careful what you sling in a modern car, there are far too many modern materials that don't react well to unknown substances. Modern manufacturing techniques have improved beyond recognition and so the best way to make an engine last longer is change the oil with a quality synthetic product on a regular basis. You just don't see piston slap and big end failure on new cars (well rarely) where as olders car needed an engine rebuild with new piston rings and crank bearings after 70k miles.

The block on a modern BMW diesel will last for ever, the array of complex injectors, turbos and electronics tends to go first which can only be delayed by good maintenence not prevented

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    steven321's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    Just be careful what you sling in a modern car, there are far too many modern materials that don't react well to unknown substances. Modern manufacturing techniques have improved beyond recognition and so the best way to make an engine last longer is change the oil with a quality synthetic product on a regular basis. You just don't see piston slap and big end failure on new cars (well rarely) where as olders car needed an engine rebuild with new piston rings and crank bearings after 70k miles.

The block on a modern BMW diesel will last for ever, the array of complex injectors, turbos and electronics tends to go first which can only be delayed by good maintenence not prevented
    had worst experience in my modern automotive life and damn it was my favorite E39 525d with unexplained intake flap design, 2 got sucked and ruined head and piston, juicy bill was painfull. strangly enough most none runners or spares repairs for sale are modern diesel cars with engine problems. i might just get one for wifes 406 hdi as its very lumpy on cold starts, tried most additives from halfords without results,and see will it make diffrence, will let know ...hope my marriage remains

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steven321 View Post
    intake flap design, 2 got sucked and ruined head and piston
    Join the club, it happens too often to be honest, as you will see most of us here remove the swirl flaps on the 1999-2005 diesels if fitted

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    steven321's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    its been already done with BMW Car Parts, Spares, Accessories, Motormec, UK some time ago

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    steven321's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steven321 View Post
    had worst experience in my modern automotive life and damn it was my favorite E39 525d with unexplained intake flap design, 2 got sucked and ruined head and piston, juicy bill was painfull. strangly enough most none runners or spares repairs for sale are modern diesel cars with engine problems. i might just get one for wifes 406 hdi as its very lumpy on cold starts, tried most additives from halfords without results,and see will it make diffrence, will let know ...hope my marriage remains
    well had a go on wifes 406 hdi and i have to say - possitive results. Engine was always running rough on cold starts, and it seem very lumpy once you start moving until it reach normal temp. poured in rvs to engine and one for pump treatment to fuel, next morning no probs at all and its like this since, wife is happy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steven321 For This Useful Post:

altreed (20-04-2012)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12