Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5s
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi, this is my first post on this great forum. I predominantly build custom performance turbos for Toyota diesel engines in Australia. So as a bit of a break and some fun I managed to get hold of an e46 330d manual. They never came here (Australia) so was quite a find and is in good condition. Runs sweet except some boost bounce with vnt control.

Anyway, the mods are beginning. I have fitted or in the process of getting:

* the early 535d injector nozzles (not bought)

* fitting a later spec 1600Bar CP3 common rail pump (I bought it hoping it fits in place of the CP1 - anyone know if it will?). Seemed like a good idea at the the time.

* custom liquid to air intercooler (in case vnt doesn't offer wide enough power band for the track racing I intend to use it for and I need to go compound turbo with interstage cooling). Else, I prefer air to air (in the plans stage)

* brass button clutch from UK supplier, stage 3 or something.... (Bought, received, not installed)

* 19" alloys with 245 on front and 265 on rear. Fitted and NO RUBBING. Will be fitting semi slicks once power is good.

* suspension at some stage, its out of my area so need experienced input here (not bought)

* Upgrading thrust bearing, comp wheel, turbine and custom vnt vanes/ring that I designed and built to suit from my Toyota 1VD-FTV custom 4.5 Diesel V8. Should provide 40+psi at 3000rpm and above. (not built, might do two different upgrades to try one with 49mm turbine exducer and another with 52mm exducer).

* 3.5-4" turbo dump to twin 2.5" system. I bought an M3 look alike rear bumper to allow the quad exhaust tip exit (for looks) but am rethinking this and might go with dual large oval tail pipe using modded std rear bumper. I am after some show to go with the go.....

* brakes - want to fit 380mm rotors front and rear, looking for options that aren't stupid in price.

A few other things too. Anyway, I want to have some tarmac fun. Don't want to win anything, I simply want to outpace some petrols and surprise the heck out of them :-)

Cheers for any replies that are contructive and educated.

I also need someone who has the ability of remapping the engine file - I had a friend remove file from ecu, so I can email it and pay for mapping.

Anyone know what pressure the factory MAP sensor reads to? I want ecu to control it to 4 bar absolute pressure if possible. If not, Ill fit a Unichip.

Also, this will be a very low/no smoke car at this power level. Smoke is not an option and I'm not aiming to melt piston crows either.

Water/ethanol mix is also a possibility as a last resort for power/EGT control
    Last edited by Gturbo; 29-12-2013 at 14:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Gturbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5s
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    And some more technical questions:

MAF SENSOR

- how many CFM or equivalent does it flow to before it reaches 5volts/max output? Does the ecu program care if the MAF is maxed out on voltage?

RAIL PRESSURE SENSOR

- is the same on the 1350Bar and the 1600Bar engines? i.e.: does same rail pressure give the same voltage?

MAP SENSOR

- What is the max pressure the factory sensor can read to (i.e. at what manifold pressure would it read 5 volts?)

MAX RAIL PRESSURE

- I have run the 1600Bar Bosch systems at over 2200Bar reliably, is the 1350Bar system just as robust?

INJECTOR RAIL 184hp vs 204hp

- is the rail the same? Not the pressure, the actual common rail itself.

Appreciate all your help, I am going to try hard to see what I can get out of this. I hope to dyno this week for a baseline. It feels dead std and does not blow any smoke at any time, the motor is an absolute gem. It "feels" around 110-120kW at tyres (which seems right considering std 135kW at engine). In Australia, using dyno's like "Dyno Dynamics" and "Mainline" we measure wheel power generally uncorrected at wheels. So the figures I will post as the car is developed will likely read lore than what I see from the Eurpoean dynes which appear to somehow calculate crank power and torque.
    Last edited by Gturbo; 29-12-2013 at 16:05.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 2,440 Posts
    The Alpina D10 used the later CP3 pump running at a peak of about 1625bar so it should be possible to upgrade mechanically.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Gturbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5s
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Ok guys my thread must either seem boring or not attainable goals or..... I'm not sure.

Well I'll get a baseline dyno this week on a Dyno Dynamics. What mode do you guys usually run "shootout" or a ramp rate of 5km a second or something? DD dynos are great and there are plenty here. So a 184hp 339d running mint should do 150 or 160hp at wheels? Or what?

I decided on 3" dump for now. I bought at muffler that takes 3" in and twin 2.5" out.

I tested a V8 4.5 diesel (std 155kW crank 110kW at wheels 12psi boost) yesterday in 43 degree C heat made 183kW at wheels on a DD with 040 ramp rate and 3" exhaust. Changed to 4" and wow did 211kW!!! So I'm hoping my short 1m long 3" dump will be ok.

If there is any tuners reading this, my modded gt2359 was pushing 28psi, 24:1 afrs, 211kW 3000rpm on a 4.5L motor :-) after the top mount cooler got really hot, afrs dropped to 17 but it shows I have air to spare :-)

So my turbos flows some gas

Tuning wise, since can't find a tuner to help me :( I'm going to use a Unichip. With all the re flashing you do there that might seem agricultural, but they are really good and ill use them to replace factory boost control.

Also spending some time high flowing injectors for it. I know the easy swap for the 535d nozzles, but its not enough for me, so will have a few nozzles flow tested

Anyone interested in this?
    Last edited by Gturbo; 17-01-2014 at 07:59. Reason: Update

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    rasa golf's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d m sport saloon titan silver
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    yup, not going to do it myself, but enjoy reading about someone taking a car outside normal parameters,keep up the good work,rasa

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Gturbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5s
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    OK Rasa, then someone is interested, great :-) I do mostly 4wd's so this is a bit of a fun side project. Yesterday we did a Toyota Hilux D4D with the wimpy 1KD-FTV 3 litre engine. On a dyno dynamics dyno it did standard 125hp at wheels (it is standard 127kW engine). Anyway, with my modified vnt turbo, better intercooler and injectors and a custom programmed chip, we did 280hp at wheels at 35psi boost and 18:1 AFR's. Not bad... but we will get over 350hp at wheels with it I think in 3 months when my new parts arrive and we use 45psi!!! Nice to do this without smoke too!

So, you can see that it should be worth watching this build, since I already have the parts for the BMW turbo if really huge power is wanted on the single VNT. FOr sure the BMW engine must be more capable than the Toyota?? We will see :-)

Right now we are searching for higher flow injector nozzles since I want at least 20% more than the Alpina D10 nozzles can provide

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    rasa golf's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d m sport saloon titan silver
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gturbo View Post
    OK Rasa, then someone is interested, great :-) I do mostly 4wd's so this is a bit of a fun side project. Yesterday we did a Toyota Hilux D4D with the wimpy 1KD-FTV 3 litre engine. On a dyno dynamics dyno it did standard 125hp at wheels (it is standard 127kW engine). Anyway, with my modified vnt turbo, better intercooler and injectors and a custom programmed chip, we did 280hp at wheels at 35psi boost and 18:1 AFR's. Not bad... but we will get over 350hp at wheels with it I think in 3 months when my new parts arrive and we use 45psi!!! Nice to do this without smoke too!

So, you can see that it should be worth watching this build, since I already have the parts for the BMW turbo if really huge power is wanted on the single VNT. FOr sure the BMW engine must be more capable than the Toyota?? We will see :-)

Right now we are searching for higher flow injector nozzles since I want at least 20% more than the Alpina D10 nozzles can provide
    cant even drive mine at the minute as it always fuckin raining, got to drive like a nun most of the time and mines only got 260 bhp,still have a bit of fun and a slide when the missus isnt in, saying that i sometimes do when shes in and i just say my foot slipped for 20 seconds

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Mike@8BallTuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e30
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    This sounds very interesting. This is defo my kind of thing, thinking out the box, i like it.

Im also interested in the 4x4 stuff you do, any videos?

I was speaking to an agent of xtreme clutches, have you had any dealings with their products? i believe they are based across the water.

How much boost are you planning / hoping to run? the unichip is ok, but id be inclined to go full standalone with a decent scope for MAP sensor.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Gturbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5s
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Lol rain..... Not much of they here at the moment. Got to 43 the other day!

I'll YouTube some 4wd stuff there is one video on my Gturbo Facebook of the exhaust during a dyno run of a 4.2 diesel ute (122kW/380nm with 89kW at wheels std) putting down about 210kW+ there's a dyno sheet posted too of that run.

I'll run the bimmer to what's neccesary based on available fuel boost wise. I'm hoping I need over 40 cool psi. The Unichip will be fine with that I'll just use 4 bar sensor. Unichip doesn't "know" what boost is only sees voltages. I'll use it for vnt boost control also so can get rid of the std control.

I've got a lot of things to do and actually broke my leg since starting this post which has slowed me up and meant I've more time for social media lol. Anyway hope to get my son to drive the 330 to dyno for a baseline. I'll change exhaust and raise boost to 23psi and dyno again with afrs logged. After that it's intercooler, injectors and turbo

Happy days

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Gturbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual 5s
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    image.jpgJust done baseline run. My calculator pegged it at 154whp based on stock 184hp and that's what it did which is great.

First stop is boost control and a 3" exhaust, breaking into twin 2.5" at the first muffler.

See how we go but that should take it to 170-180 which is small but noticable.

Be 3 weeks before I post results probably
    Last edited by Gturbo; 23-01-2014 at 10:54.

Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast