325ti compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pangster View Post
    thanks! - can't seem to find a kit on their site for the Z3.. so I've emailed them to ask.

I've done a search and they seem to get a good write up!! (they make Megan Racing coilovers apparantly..) - although some say they can be a little too harsh for the street (this was on a WRX though with other chassis stiffening as well) so not sure how reflective this would be of the kits in general.

They also don't seem to have helper springs like a lot of the other kits? - does this matter though??.. also I think they are monotube design as opposed to the Weitec or FK's which are twin tubed (i think?) - again does this matter??? - they also only have a 12 month warranty - where some of the others have 2 or 3 years warranty..

Has anyone on here fitted the BC Racing coilovers? - any opinions/reviews of them on a BMW?
    If you dont go for the bottom of the range BC Racing ones then they are Inverted dampners Gives much better strength and resistnace to lateral flex

On the harshness front... they have 30 dampening settings and on fully soft ive read that they dont differ much from OEM but towards the other end of the scale they are pretty brutal Best of both worlds

The BC Racings are the ones i will go for when i upgrade!
    E46 325ti Compact
    Lowered On Coilovers
    Powerflex Bushes
    Staggered 19" BBS LM's Wrapped In Falken F452's
    Eibach Pro Spacers
    EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs
    Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Z Rated Pads
    Goodridge Brake Lines
    Dipped Beam HID's
    Dipped & Main Beam CCFL's
    Phillips Main Beam Rally Bulbs
    PIAA Silicone Wipers
    BMC CDA Carbon Fiber Intake
    JVC VX-220 Multimedia Headunit
    Kenwood DSP 4 Channel Amp Stealth Mounted
    Alpine 5.25" Type X Components Mounted In Custom Pods

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LiLoCollinsy For This Useful Post:

pangster (16-02-2010)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    altreed's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330d Sport Touring, e36 z3 2.8, c36 AMG
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005, 1999, 1997
    Transmission Type:
    Auto, Manual, Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Estate, softop/hardtop, Saloon

Thanks
    I used Jamex suspension springs and dampers on my GTi mkII - wasn't impressed, cheap and nasty was my impression, but this was 15 years ago.

I would promote the use of Eibach springs. I fitted them on my Merc 190e, it was lower, better body control and a better quality ride over std springs.
    Remember..... The brussels sprout is the fruit of the bonzai cabbage tree!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to altreed For This Useful Post:

pangster (16-02-2010)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by altreed
    I would promote the use of Eibach springs. I fitted them on my Merc 190e, it was lower, better body control and a better quality ride over std springs.
    I agree!! - I had Eibach springs with KYB AGX (top mount adjustables) and TRD top mounts on my MR2 and it was a very good set up..

However, I've decided for the Zed that I'm going to go down the coilover route.. I'm just doing the spade work just now as I'm soon to be fitting new rims on the car (18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear.. that is as soon as they arrive from the states!! LOL!) so the coilovers should give a little more clearance in the spring seat department as well as helping to make it look a little less like a 4x4..

* 2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20): current
    * 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200d AMG Line (X156): current

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Nimr0d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pangster View Post
    I agree!! - I had Eibach springs with KYB AGX (top mount adjustables) and TRD top mounts on my MR2 and it was a very good set up..

However, I've decided for the Zed that I'm going to go down the coilover route.. I'm just doing the spade work just now as I'm soon to be fitting new rims on the car (18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear.. that is as soon as they arrive from the states!! LOL!) so the coilovers should give a little more clearance in the spring seat department as well as helping to make it look a little less like a 4x4..
    They may give you more room around the spring seat area..but it is quite possible that they will take chunks from your alloys when you corner

As it gets lower, the camber goes to pot..and the top of the alloy will get closer..unless you alter the camber...but then the wheels may not fit inside tha arches

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimr0d View Post
    They may give you more room around the spring seat area..but it is quite possible that they will take chunks from your alloys when you corner

As it gets lower, the camber goes to pot..and the top of the alloy will get closer..unless you alter the camber...but then the wheels may not fit inside tha arches
    not sure how they would take chunks out the alloys when cornering?? in anycase I could see this potentially being an issue for the 'Vdub Scrubbers' who have the arses of their cars scraping along the ground or running on bumpstops ("if it's not scrubbing it's not dubbing"... I think is one of their mottos! )- but mine will only be set moderately lowered i.e. 40 mm.. - strangely enough my insurance company said they would only cover me if it wasn't lowered more than 50mm.. which is more than enough for everyday driving (especially with some of the roads around here!)..
    Last edited by pangster; 16-02-2010 at 19:12.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    cooperjohn's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeRST View Post
    I've found a Jamex coilover set for an E46 on eBay for £250 delivered, I think I'll be ordering them at the end of the month... unless people on here slate them and tell me not to lol.

bmw spent a good few million developing the susspension of your car to give optimum performance (ultimate driving machine ) comfort and reliabilty ,now a company called jamex pops up and says uno what we can better that and put it on your door for £250 !!! its a no brainer mate.

bmw engineers with the best technologies and a massive budget or small in comparison company with a bargin reputation. its your life and the susspension kinda is one of the components that keep you on the road.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cooperjohn View Post
    bmw spent a good few million developing the susspension of your car to give optimum performance (ultimate driving machine ) comfort and reliabilty ,now a company called jamex pops up and says uno what we can better that and put it on your door for £250 !!! its a no brainer mate.

bmw engineers with the best technologies and a massive budget or small in comparison company with a bargin reputation. its your life and the susspension kinda is one of the components that keep you on the road.
    Bit of a sweeping statement there with absolutely no facts to back it up!! Millions of pounds on suspension development?? Are you having a laugh!? I didn't know BMW made suspension either.. I thought they would have sourced these from Bose or Sachs or one of the other myriad of third party suppliers they use..

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Nimr0d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    But a standard suspension setup isn't always the best... It is a compromise between ride comfort and handling quality.
    The best handling would be a stiff setup, fairly low...But alot of BM (or other manufacturers) customers would moan about a very harsh ride....Like wise, for the most comfortable, it would be a soft 4x4-esque setup...not great for handling, or looks...but extremely comfy.

They have to get it right for the majority of their customers..so thats the set-up we have. If we want a better handling ride, which also looks meaner, Then we take the steps to uprate the susp. By fitting lower, harder springs, and stiffer shocks...Knowing too well the consequences...A harsher ride.

So even with BM's millions and expert engineers, they dont always get it 100% right, 100% of the time.

Even though the Jamex coilies are a 'Budget' brand (with TUV approval, they meet the safety standards ) they will still give an increase in handling of the car, after-all, they are stiffer and lower.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies - I've just ordered the FK Silverlines from Venom Motorsport:

FK Silverlines (BMW Z3):
    # Stainless steel and nikel plated.
    # Height adjustable front = 30mm-100mm and rear 30mm-95mm.
    # Fixed 30% uprated sports damping.
    # Shortened struts for increased damper travel and ride comfort.
    # T.U.V Quality approved.

Overall read pretty good reviews from them..

BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Looks like they come with the shortened drop links as well....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steve23002 For This Useful Post:

pangster (17-02-2010)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast