850 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi everyone,

I am in need of help, I have recently changed the diff on my 850 as the previous one was whining. The issue I am having is that the passenger side driveshaft is pulling the output flange out of the diff. This was not happening before and is obviously a problem as it leaks out all the oil and very quickly becomes undrivable because it starts catching on everything.

To fit the new diff I had to change over the output flanges but I doubt it is a problem with them as the drivers side is fine and I have swapped the output flanges over and this had no affect.

I have no idea where to go next as I don't know why it is doing this. Any help would be great.

Thanks very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    mistreku's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Was the old diff identical to the new one? I'm guessing something is not aligning there as supposed to.
    There are only two products required to make the universe work properly: Duct tape and WD40. 

If it moves (and it shouldn't): duct tape. 
If it doesn’t move (and it should): WD40.

Everything else is just stuff.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    b0mb3rman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    850 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    As far as I'm aware the diffs are the same. I have checked that the split ring is engaging with the output flange and that seems to be fine on both sides. I know that it takes a good few hits with a large hammer to get the flange out so it's in there pretty well.

The other thing I neglected to mention is that the driveshaft on that side took a bit of a beating a while back when the bolts holding the driveshaft onto the diff came out and the driveshaft knocked around until I could pull over (I was on the A40). Whilst swapping the diffs I did notice that the inner CV was badly out of shape so I tried to get it back to the way it should be.

Could it be that the cv joint is not moving freely on the driveshaft and that this is putting a lateral force onto the shaft pulling the output flange out?

This is about as far as my knowledge and thought process can get me so I'm thinking of replacing the driveshaft as I can't see anything obviously wrong with the diff.