328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Hello all,

Am having issues with AFPRs losing all fuel pressure when the engine is turned off - resulting in excessive cranking to build up enough pressure to restart engine.

This problem only occurred after I installed an FSE Rising rate regulator - this regulator kept erratic pressure. Set @ 4.0 bar originally, it would fluctuate between 2.5 bar and ~5.2 bar!

I had another spare AFPR (Cheap eBay one) - installed this one, set it @ 4.0 bar and it has kept 4.0 bar since!... except when the engine is off, then it holds nothing :(

I checked everything else that I disturbed when installing the regulator, no leaks and no smell of petrol.

I've diagnosed it as both AFPRs being the culprit by clamping the return line from the regulator (engine off) and full pressure was retained for half an hour (until I took the clamp off).

I suppose my question is:

Is this Normal??? I would have thought that when there is no vacuum, the regulator would close the return line to retain pressure for the next time you need to start the engine?

On a car where the fuel pump is on a switched live, it's not necessarily an issue as you could switch the ignition on and wait a second or two for pressure to build up in the rail before cranking but my pump is on a switched earth which is only active when cranking!!!

Do I buy another (maybe more expensive?) AFPR and hope that this will hold pressure?

Or do I go back to standard?

I liked how the car drove with the rising rate regulator but, with such erratic pressure, it's not worth the risk - so that is out of the question.
    But I also think the car drove better with 4.0 bar pressure than the standard 3.5.

I have a lot of breathing mods on the car (simota, asc delete, BBTB, M50 inlet, US S52 cams) but standard injectors and map.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying the Dinin modified Bosch FPR for simplicity but I can't find it to buy without a useless US software package for $350!

Maybe 24lb injectors?

Any recommended AFPRs?

Any help is massively appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by 328evo; 15-09-2012 at 21:35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    dan123ben's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    why do you have a Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator n first place ? have them mods on engine the standed fuel pressure reg is plenty there is no need for a Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator at the mods and power you have

BMW Master
    Car Details
    328evo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dan123ben View Post
    why do you have a Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator n first place ? have them mods on engine the standed fuel pressure reg is plenty there is no need for a Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator at the mods and power you have

If I had upped the pressure and noticed no improvement in how the car drives, I would have given up on the idea of an AFPR and wouldn't have posted on here.

Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    dan123ben's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    all you have done if fitted it cranked it up you went for a drive and was thinkng wow this feels much better what you have really done is made the car run rich ie over fuel it .the fuel pump the pressure reg and injectors will easy provide the fuel flow needed on that engine for the mods you have done messing with fuel pressure as you are at that power is pointless get the car on the roling road and watch the AFR with the standed fuel reg on and it will run great then fit the reg you have and start turing it up you will see that AFR IE air fuel ratio will go out and that all you are doing at the mo messng with t blind all you are going to do is make your self prob you did have in the first place the the extra bit of go you feel when you drive is false power that is down to over fuel !

BMW Master
    Car Details
    328evo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dan123ben View Post
    all you have done if fitted it cranked it up you went for a drive and was thinkng wow this feels much better what you have really done is made the car run rich ie over fuel it .the fuel pump the pressure reg and injectors will easy provide the fuel flow needed on that engine for the mods you have done messing with fuel pressure as you are at that power is pointless get the car on the roling road and watch the AFR with the standed fuel reg on and it will run great then fit the reg you have and start turing it up you will see that AFR IE air fuel ratio will go out and that all you are doing at the mo messng with t blind all you are going to do is make your self prob you did have in the first place the the extra bit of go you feel when you drive is false power that is down to over fuel !
    It will only run rich momentarily, then the DME will shorten the duration the injectors are open, bringing the stoich back.

This isn't a project car, it's not a track car. It's my daily driver that I've had for a couple of years. I know that it drives better than with the standard pressure.

I've posted this to ask for AFPR recommendations, not so you can talk down to me about my car. I'll put it down to you having too much time on your hands and we'll leave it there.

Thanks for the input.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    dan123ben's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    no one is talking down to atall i just see you have the same engine and same mods i have spent a shed load of time on the dyno with that engine mate try to see what works not working blind like you are .am enigne i going to 320bhp with a charger very soon the injectors is the only thing getting changed the fuel reg will stay standed cus it can take it ....my point here is to save you time and money you DONT NOT NEED A Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator on the mods you have done the standed injectors and fuel reg is fine as it is the fuel the car jesus mate i have spent the last 4 years and the best part of 5k on the engine and dyno runs and test ..just fitting a uprated reg and saying it feels better with no facts of test and dyno runs you have know idea what the fueling is doing your just usung guess work an using tested fact

BMW Master
    Car Details
    dan123ben's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    can some one tell this guy to put the standed on back on and hs probs are solved

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dan123ben For This Useful Post:

djsteviec01 (15-09-2012)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    328evo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Why do you drive a girls car? Why didn't you go with the M engine? Why are you obsessed with dyno runs? Why go for a supercharger when a turbo will give you more torque????

Don't answer any of those questions, they're simply examples of how we could go round in circles.

I changed the 328 wheels for M3 ones because I prefer how they look

I changed the standard airbox for a simota because I prefer how it sounds

I want higher fuel pressure because I prefer how it drives...

why can't you understand that? I don't want to do dyno runs, the fuelling can't be that bad or the plugs wouldn't look right. It can't be overfuelling much because I get just about the same mileage out of each tank. The car pulls better from the lower revs, I do a lot of town driving and this is really noticeable to me.

Tell you what, I'll put it back to standard tomorrow. That way, we don't need to worry about this any longer.

Cheers.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    dan123ben's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z3 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster

Thanks
    there you go the fueling cant be that bad guess work ok mate i give up bored me now the fact is you added a part you didnt need and made a prob in your first post it did say should i put it back to standed i was giving you info why you should never mind mate take it easy

BMW Master
    Car Details
    djsteviec01's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    I would put it back to standard its really not needed on this car