BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

92' E34 525 Msport - My first project!!!

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  MONSTER 
#1 ·
Hi all

(Before i begin, apologies if I seem nieve)

I recently have taken possesion of an E34 525 from a friend at a garage that i use, they were going to break it down and sell it for parts even though it runs perfectly fine. I have been wanting a project for a little while and saw this as a good oppurtunity to fullfil my passion for cars so i bought it for 200 smackers. Sooo.. I would like to go 'crazy' on it, I haven't decided what route i want to go down as yet, be it fast street/trackday/drift car but either way would like to increase the power/performance/handling as much as i can. I have no real budget in place (a couple hundred £ a month maybe) on doing work, so it will be more a of a long term project, i would like to do most of the work myself in order to increase my knowledge and experience of car mechanics/tuning.

Im looking for advice/suggestions/help and useful websites/contacts from you guys on:

Engine performance mods e.g breathing mods, headwork, the big s/c vs turbo debate and transmission etc

Handling/chasis mods e.g suspension, brakes, wheels & tyres etc

My best friend will be giving me a hand aswell but he's into the styling sort of side, so he's got some ideas on doing a DIY paintjob and putting on a bodykit, so any suggestions on what might look good would be great aswell. Me on the other hand, Im dying to get my hands dirty.

Thanks guys and thanks for reading my life story lol

Please feel free to put forward your opinions and suggestions, I look forward to considering them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to Bfuk!!

good luck with the project sounds like a good one and that car was a bargin at £200 would be great to see some pics!? also whats the mileage on it?

and there is so much info floating around on this forum im sure some one will have the answer to any question you have :thumbsup

#4 ·
Lmao thanks for the warm welcome and ok you will be first on my list if i decide to chuck in the towel.

I will get some pics up asap and tbh i haven't looked to see what mileage is yet, i just had a quick look round, heard it running and said yeah I'll have that. I haven't got it to its resting place yet as i have leant it my father-in-law to drive to and from work until he gets his motor back from the garage but I will be picking it up this weeknd so I will update you then.

Whats your story TonyB?

#5 ·
Thats a cracking deal if the cars capable of runing your inlaw to work! im jealous! :jaw-dropping

Well JakeF theres not much of a story to tell really im just your average working guys who likes his motors! and has a soft spot for BMs!!

is this your first Bmw?

#6 ·
i have the same soft spot.

Yh im pleased with it. MOT is due next month but wasnt too fussed as i wont be putting it on the road.

Yeah its my first 'proper' BM, i have an R53 MINI Cooper S, although it is BMW made im not gonna suggest its a BMW nor even is it a proper Mini but I love it, its my pocket rocket.

Whats your BM History?

#9 ·
Yeah i can see what your saying a 318 is a sensible choice to run, has a bit grunt when needed but good on petrol and insurance, am i right? Im always keeping an eye for bargains so if I see any I will put it your way, if it helps...

Well have been exploring the site a bit more and your right its great. I have stumbled across the project forum and I have just been reading a thread by a guy called mistreku he has a 325 and im gathering a few ideas from him, so the basics to begin with e.g. breathing mods, wouldn't mind some collies and some nice light alloys, a remap is in mind. In the future if funds are availaible I would like to have a crack at forced induction but i think that will be a mamoth of a task. First of all though im going take it for a dyno run and see what the figures say and use it as a benchmark for progression.

#11 ·
Looking forward to seeing the pictures!! Hows the project going?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.