535d remap, should I and will it resolve lazy throttle response? - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 535d remap, should I and will it resolve lazy throttle response?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    PhilGT2008's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Yeah I think part of this is just that im still adapting to driving it. I didn't realise until this post that in auto she normally starts in 2nd.

We have a brilliant renapper in n Ireland, obd auto tune. One of the owners actually has a 535d so they know their stuff for mapping it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    The Beast's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X5 3.0 SD M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    SUV

Thanks
    I have the same engine in my X5 (aka The Beast!), thought it was more than enough power when I bought it a year ago....

Over the last year though as I have relaxed my right foot a little I too have started to notice the flat spot on take off and generally when using lighter throttle inputs. Found myself using sport mode all the time!!

A mate of mine had the same car and had it remapped to 350 bhp (from 286 bhp) and kept telling me to get mine done, he said that the car felt lighter and more drivable. Was dubious about it as I have never remapped my previous petrol BMW's and was concerned about the impact on the engine. However having extensively researched the topic on these forums recently I have decided to take the plunge.

Simon from Emaps is coming around on Saturday to tune the car, he seemed to have some pretty good feedback on here.

Will post and advise on results once this has been completed.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    PhilGT2008's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Well how did you get on? Is the beast even better?

Diamond BFuk Member
    Car Details
    petrolmarty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 December
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Make sure you get all the updates done that are available as any updates will wipe the remap and it's not just a case of putting it back on as the vehicle parameters would of changed and any good remap is an individual one.
    It will make the car seem like a different motor so go ahead.
    On a quick note, the software works on the speed of the pedal press not just the pressure, so a hesitant press will make the gearbox seem sluggish, a quick if not heavy right foot will wake up the box.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    PhilGT2008's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Ok Marty, thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

On the remap front it will be completely customised yes. Cheers.

7. 535d remap, should I and will it resolve lazy throttle response? 
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    cforehead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Interesting point about the behaviour of the 'box in response to throttle position and speed of application. I think I've recently subconsciously worked this out, without actually realising it!

Thanks.

2008 335d M Sport Coupe

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    The Beast's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X5 3.0 SD M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    SUV

Thanks
    Sorry not been on the site for a while.

In a word WOW!!!!

Simon from emaps is a top bloke, I would highly recommend him as he gave me the comfort that he knew what he was doing to my £60k beast and that the updates were not going to harm my car. For example he said that he does not touch the boost pressure on the turbos as BMW run quite a high boost pressure from stock and that increasing it would impact on turbo reliability. He also said that the remap would take the car to 350-360 bhp and that he did not think that it was safe going any higher. Again he told me that he takes the torque to circa 700nm as the gearbox on the X5 is engineered to take 700nm as a maximum.

He turned up on time with his laptop and downloaded the standard software just in case I need the car set back to the manufacturer settings (no chance!). We then went out for a test run with the laptop plugged in and he took some readings of various settings, mainly the lambar reading. Im not too technical but he did explain what this meant at the time, something to do with the amount of fuel the car gets I think...

He then loaded the new software and I asked him to reset the gearbox as it had "learnt" my driving style and the shifts were a little jerky. The whole process took about 1.5 hours.

We then took the car back out with the laptop plugged in to test the difference and again take readings. Simon was first to drive and I could tell the difference in performance from the passenger seat!! Once he had finished his readings and was happy he handed the car over to me to test.

The car feels like a totally new beast!! Whereas it would bog down previously before the power came in I am now getting instant response, even under light throttle (not sure if this second improvement is the gearbox reset or the remap). The car feels half a tonne lighter and is unbelievably quick, I used to always use the sport setting on the gearbox previously as I used to get annoyed with the lag so would force it to change down to get the response that I wanted. I now rarely touch the sport mode such is the change in performance, sport mode is almost frightening as you just have so much power on tap due to it holding the gear and revs!! On the motorway a slight prod of the right foot will take you from cruising speeds to the type of speed you will get locked up for very quickly. Kick down from standstill is awsome, the look on the faces of people in so called "sportcars" when they can't shift me off their tail is priceless ;-).

Both my brother and brother in law have driven the car before and after the remap and both were just blown away by the improvement that it made, it makes a 2.5 tonne car seriously quick. I would like to drive a 335d with this remap as it can't be far off the performance of an M3, what do you rekon cforehead?

Simon did not promise me any gains in fuel economy due to the size of the engine however I am seeing a slight benefit around town and probably a 2-3 mpg benefit on a long run. This may be down to the fact that I am not pushing the car as hard as I used to in order to get it up to speed.

I was very dubious about getting my car remapped because of the value of the car and as a result took over a year to take the plunge. I regret not doing it sooner, honestly if you are thinking about it just go for it! Just make sure you use one of the recommended tuners as there are a lot of people out there remapping cars at the moment, so go for one with lots of customer feedback on these forums. I only have experience of Simon at emaps and would not hesitate in recommeding him.

The only downside is that that BMW have now locked out their ECU's and therefore Simon is unable to remap cars from 2010 onwards. Hopefully they will crack the code soon as my wifes new 1 series F20 5 door arrives in a few months time and I would love to get this remapped...

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    KERMIT1970's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335D & Z4 3.0 SI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2008 & 2007
    Transmission Type:
    AUTO & MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    BOTH COUPES

Thanks
    Well The Beast I got my 335d mapped yesterday & WOW ! The differance is unbeleivable.power is instant & will need to watch out with the cameras.one small step on the gas & god it is a different car.Dread the tyre bill.lol

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    PhilGT2008's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Right, decision made, getting my 535d done asap.

Thanks also for the cracking writeup beast! Glad you have found even further enjoyment in your car.
    2006 535d M Sport : Pro Sat Nav : 19" Spiders : Heated Leather : Bi-Xenons

Mods to date
    LCI Gearknob : MTEC V3 Angel Eyes : Interior Xenon LEDs : Dension 500 : Rockford Fossgate amp : Focal Speakers : Aluminium M Pedals : Remap

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    dance171's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    645CI E63
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Is there anywhere to remap my 645 in the northeast near newcastle? Im hoping to get it done asap

Former audi TT 225 with LOTS of mods!!!
    Former BMW 645 LOTS of mods!!!

BMW E63 M6 BLACK ON BLACK 540-545BHP

REMAPPED & DERESTRICTED
    CUSTOM EXHAUST
    ICE WHITE ANGEL EYES
    ALL YELLOW BULBS TO ICE WHITE INSIDE AND OUT
    CARBON BADGES ALL ROUND
    ALL WINDOWS TINTED
    NEON LIT FOOTWELLS AND INTERIOR LIGHT PACKAGE
    ANODISED BMW TAX DISC
    BMW BRAKE DECALS