M 135i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Sport auto
    Car Body Type:
    sport hatch
    Thanks
    Hi All

Looking to put a set of discs and pads onto my 535d. Anybody changed any on a 5? What if any recommendations to the forum members have?
    M135i, prof nav, adaptive suspension, 8 speed sport auto, heated memory seats, comfort access, Harman Kardon, voice control, USB interface etc etc pocket rocket

535d m-sport in Platinum Grey, black dakota, sport auto, sun protection glass, media pack, spoiler, voice control, lane departure warning.

X5 3.0sd 20s Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Logic 7, Panoramic Sunroof, Reversing Camera, Rear DVD, Programmable Park Heat, Tow Pack - GONE and will be missed

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Dogsoldier's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    645 CI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I went with some original Pagid pads but got dimpled and grooved ones from CNC products one of the vendors on here. Very happy with them. Really should have upgraded the lines too but didnt do it at the time. Braided hoses will make a hell of a difference.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

Previous BMWs owned:
    2008 120D
    2009 123D M Sport
    2006 525D M Sport

2004 645CI Coupe (Current Car)
    Mods:
    Remap 370 BHP Est
    MIJ Performance back boxes
    De-Chromed
    Tinted windows
    20" Cades Bern
    LED Angel eyes and LED replacement all round

Please donate to RALLY FOR HEROES http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/EdwardKingsland

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogsoldier For This Useful Post:

4wheeldriver (18-02-2012)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    4wheeldriver's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M 135i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Sport auto
    Car Body Type:
    sport hatch
    Thanks
    Was looking at Tar ox drilled discs and red EBC pads.

Just want a bit more stopping power for her since the standard discs would appear to only have lasted 33k!
    M135i, prof nav, adaptive suspension, 8 speed sport auto, heated memory seats, comfort access, Harman Kardon, voice control, USB interface etc etc pocket rocket

535d m-sport in Platinum Grey, black dakota, sport auto, sun protection glass, media pack, spoiler, voice control, lane departure warning.

X5 3.0sd 20s Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Logic 7, Panoramic Sunroof, Reversing Camera, Rear DVD, Programmable Park Heat, Tow Pack - GONE and will be missed

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Mr OBD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi mate, Tarox are very good as they are pretty much the only people now-a-days that heat treat their discs so they are less likely to warp/crack like others.

But what I will say if you are a 'spritied' driver then do not go for any drilled discs as they will probs crack around the drilled holes.

What I will also say, I work for a tuner and we deal with both Tarox and EBC, we have only ever seen warranty claims on Tarox discs when EBC pads are fitted so tarox will no longer offer a warranty if EBC pads are used.

Another note, an uprated pad will offer a better braking performance increase than the discs so if I was you I would pick a better pad option than EBC, something like a fast road Tarox, Ferodo or Pagid. Even on a standard disc these will be better than just updated discs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, brake fluid - if this has not been changed in 2+ years you will benefit from this even if you use normal DOT 4 fluid

Mike
    Last edited by Mr OBD; 19-02-2012 at 11:22.
    1st> 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.2
    2nd> 2005 Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI FR
    3rd> 1991 VW Polo Coupe 1.3
    4th> 1990 Honda CRX Del Sol
    5th> 1998 BMW E36 328
    6th> 2003 BMW E46 M3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr OBD For This Useful Post:

4wheeldriver (19-02-2012)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M 135i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Sport auto
    Car Body Type:
    sport hatch
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly, don't BMW recommend fluid changes every 2 years anyway? Mine would then be due in under a year!

Any other tips since you seem to know your stuff for worthwhile upgrades?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M 135i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Sport auto
    Car Body Type:
    sport hatch
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly, don't BMW recommend fluid changes every 2 years anyway? Mine would then be due in under a year!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Mr OBD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post

It is the same for everyone with normal DOT 4 fluid - to be changed every 2 years regardless of mileage, in short the fluid gets a water content build up and this allows the fluid to 'boil' at much lower temps than normal so you get brake fade much faster.

If you do want to upgrade the fluid ignore DOT 5 fluid is not as great as people say - you will be best going for a performance DOT4 fluid (we use Tarox) but note this is meant to be changed every year, but if you go over that don't worry your brakes will not just stop working! :P

Really it is all depending on your driving style, if you are just a fast road user then a disc and pad upgrade is the best option, more of a track goer you might be best looking at a bigger brake upgrade but again, you can be a track loon with just uprade discs and pads it is mainly how you use the car and how you find the brakes.

As mentioned braided lines are a good option these will give you a better brake pedal feel & response as the fluid is going straight to the caliper pistons and pushing those out rather than expanding the OEM rubber lines.

Hope that helps

EDIT: Don't go for really aggressive pads if you are just a fast road user as this will ruin the 'cold' performance, as we can't race about everywhere! Something like a Tarox Strada pad or Ferodo DS2500s - I had the DS2500's in my BM with fresh normal DOT 4 fluid and oem discs, found the braking performance cold very good and I don't recall being able to fade them on track or the many times over Snakes Pass.

If you want any more advise feel free to send me a PM

Mike
    1st> 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.2
    2nd> 2005 Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI FR
    3rd> 1991 VW Polo Coupe 1.3
    4th> 1990 Honda CRX Del Sol
    5th> 1998 BMW E36 328
    6th> 2003 BMW E46 M3

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr OBD For This Useful Post:

4wheeldriver (19-02-2012)