BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

335D fault codes post remap

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  APtuning 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on this tale of woe? I got a 335d coupe, tried to remap it using a Powergate II and it deleted some of the ECU software. I took the ECU (not the car) to someone who used a BDM to reinstall the files. I replaced the ECU in the car and it drove amazingly (with the remap file) for 20 minutes before displaying the largest number of faults I've ever seen. Rev counter, paddle-shift, traction control, tyre pressure monitor etc etc etc all don't work. Car starts but tells me to drive cautiously. Acceleration unaffected BUT the auto box sometimes drops into neutral as I set off and the vehicle seems now to be limited to around 83MPH in soem kind of weird limp mode (normally effects acceleration surely?)

Anyhow, my only thought is just to get the fault codes removed (tried it with a red "Snap On" but that didn't detect any faults so clearly need a BMW specific job. Then I'll see if they re-emerge but no idea whether this is a genuine cluster-f1*k or if it's just registering faults as it booted up outside the car (in which case you'd think the faults would show as soon as I started post-ECU removal?)

Any ideas appreciated.... :frown

#2 ·
It might be a coding issue.
BDM can store and reprogram the memory on every chip inside the ECU and clone the entire unit.
If some data was installed from a different ecu, it might have been a manual etc, and some of the data and coding might not match the rest of the car.

A bmw spec codereader should help, or someone with autologic.

#4 ·
Cheers for responses. I took it to John at DNA Tuning and he mapped it back to stock. It now works perfectly. It turns out it was in limp mode (although bizarrely it didn't affect accelaration). DNA were excellent and could have put one of their maps on but by that stage I was happy to have the car back to stock for while!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.