330D 320D Hybrid turbo upgrade for not a lot of money. - Page 7

Notices

Thread: 330D 320D Hybrid turbo upgrade for not a lot of money.

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    dead_valentine's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    the turbo has peaks up to 2500 milibars, this means relative pressure around 22 psi.
    unfortunately you are slightly inaccurate there. You need to take into consideration atmospheric pressure to accurately calculate boost. 2500mb is also 2.5 bar. If the atmospheroc pressure was exactly 1000mb at that time then you are correct. If it was high or low pressure then it's off. I have a way of working it out somewhere I'll have to dig it out. Mine was reading 2700-3000mb but I have my doubts as to whether that is correct.

However 2500mb is fine. Mine has the uprated seals and bearings so its harder for air to pass the turbo seals and get into the lubrication system. Not sure how much more though to be honest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    juice's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    sedan
    Thanks
    Thank you mate. I'm telling you the values read from inpa/dis. I have one time overboost, but i think that were an issue with vacuum hoses, now i didnt see that overboost value which was 2480 mb. Theoretically atmospherical pressure must be 1000 mb but in practice and reading values its about 950 mb at idle. 2480 mb means the total pressure, including atm. Do you say that its fine 2500 mb ? If i remember ok, after remap i saw values around to 2200 milibars.
    I quit addictions for my 'girl' from BMW

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    If the turbo is healthy yes that should be fine

5. Core-CHRA 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robertb.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_valentine View Post
    Hi guys, for anybody looking to squeeze some extra power out of their 320D or any of the turbo charged diesels, it's not as expensive as you might think. I know of a company who will build cores with any compressor wheel you specify and machine out your compressor housing to suit. Put it this way, I bought a new core £139, Had my compressor housing machined out £125 and delivery £9.95, that's it! and its not as if it's not a good quality unit either. It comes fitted with an upgraded 360 degree thrust bearing and step gap oil sealing rings and a full 12 month warranty. May be a little more expensive if you have a different model to mine!

Mine started out life as a GT1749V and now it is a GT1756 so +7mm on the compressor wheel and should be capable of 230bhp+ with a few other tasty mods. You can see in the pics that the new compressor wheel is also a lot taller as well as wider :)

Big step down from £500 for a recon hybrid or £1180 for a complete new hybrid unit.

Attachment 49241Attachment 49249
    Hi,

I would like to thank you Dead Valentine for this thread i was looking for that for a some time, i am new to this forum and i recently bought my first diesel BMW E46 320d M47D20 136bhp so far i fit decat bypass, vortex filter, egr bypass and remapped to 165bhp 330nm, i would love to perform similar process as you did, so far i sourced donor turbo which is the exactly same as i am curently using, what i would like to ask what type of core you bought/use for this mod and how long it takes to re-machine compressor housing, also did they automaticaly fit upgraded 360 degree thrust bearing + step gap oil sealing rings or its extra?

Thank you in advance. Please continue with your mods, so far there is no one else with similar material, also will you please let us know when you find upgrade for the injectors etc.

Rob.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to robertb. For This Useful Post:

dead_valentine (13-01-2014)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi, I'm glad you have found some use from this thread. To answer your questions, the new core was bought from these guys;
    nkkturbo on eBay
    I just asked for the correct core.. mine being a 750431 Garrett GT1749v, with a bigger compressor wheel on it and they also did the machining.

They fit the upgraded 360 degree thrust bearing and step gap oil rings as standard on all of their cores including the one I ordered with the bigger compressor wheel.

It took them a couple of weeks because they were busy and it was around the time they had shut down for a week in between. Usually however they don't take as long. Customer service and communications were excellent too.

Total cost was £275 + £60 for a donor turbo which I sold afterwards.. Not sure if prices are still the same though

I would be interested in your progress too. The only limiting factor as far as i know with your model is the diesel pump, so it would be interesting to see how much power it could potentially develop. As far as I know I haven't heard of a 136bhp being modded to this extent, although I could be wrong!

is your turbo a 750431 or a 717478? I'm pretty sure they are the same or similar unit to mine on the 136bhp model.

Had my tools stolen a couple of weeks before Christmas but soon as I have a decent collection again I will finish all the little things I have to do and have a session on the rolling road to see what I can get out of her!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dead_valentine For This Useful Post:

robertb. (13-01-2014)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robertb.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thank You, thats great info i will give them call i found their website too

www.nkkturbos.co.uk - Turbos and Turbochargers - parts and accessories

my donor turbo is 750431 so is the fitted one, but i have no idea about previous owner turbo swaps etc..., sorry about your tools i know how hard it is when you have to collect those tools from the start..., have to improvize on couple occassions too due to some as....le who stolen my tool from my shed, and improvizing is time consuming and guessing job and i don't like that...

i can't wait for your result from rolling road, hope you will share them too..., again thanks and i let you know about my progress too.

Rob

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robertb.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi,

I was trying to contact for over the week the NKKTURBO company through their website, email, ebay and left them messages-no response at all, some of the other companies too they refused me to help with this turbo modification...so i finally give up on all of them...i decided the harder way which is to buy new chra for my turbo and separately buy a compressor wheel GT22V and ask local headmaster to remachine my compressor housing and modify this compressor wheel, exducer size is 7mm bigger, im at the stage of ordering all parts for this project which takes two weeks with customs etc. i was tried to find GT1756 compressor wheel but its much more easier to get GT22 as this is used by turbo dynamics in their hybrid turbo, GT1756V was used on one of the Audi A6 V6 models, but hard to find the compressor wheel for it...360 degree thrust bearing can be separately purchased as a part of the whole turbo rebuild kit for around £50,-, and chra for the GT1749V cost around £130,- from NERINGS company which you can easily find on ebay and they will answer all your questions, also they have for sale many other turbo parts and material...so far i dismantled my donor turbo same way as dead valentine and i am about to clean all parts, i heard that mr muscle oven cleaner spray can help to dissolve carbon deposits on housing, but the vanes are not that bad, so probably petrol will be good enough, rest of the parts will be replaced for a new ones, reassembly of the vanes will be bit a pain, but i will find the way...also when i dissasembled turbine side i damaged the gasket/sealing ring which is really fragile, but luckily is a part of the rebuilding kit with upgraded 360 bearing in it...

Soon as i will have more details i'll let you know how its go with this project...at this stage i don't even know how all will workout it's a blind project with donor turbo with no proof if this gonna work or not...i would like to achieve 200bhp 390nm mark from current 160bhp/330nm (originally 136bhp/280nm) with this hybrid turbo and custom remap, also trying to find out more details about bigger injector nozzles and 330d clutch so far i heard they are same but they should withstand higher torque i heard 500nm but again no proof all is just myths and stories...so far all i know that 320d clutch disc diameter is 228mm and 330d is 240mm...checked in the BMW ETK Catalogue/real oem.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to robertb. For This Useful Post:

dead_valentine (24-07-2014)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I would advise not using oven cleaner as it damages the outer hard layer on aluminium. An ultrasonic cleaner is your best bet. I bought one from maplins for £30 and their cleaning fluid called sea clean. A few repeat sessions and a brass wire brush for stubborn stains.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dead_valentine For This Useful Post:

robertb. (25-01-2014)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    robertb.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanks dead valentine, i will try to get that ultrasonic cleaner, sea clean and brass wire brush, i didnt started clean it yet im not in hurry, to collect all parts for this project it will take a while, disassembled turbo is laying in the box and waiting... so how did you getting on with your hybrid turbo project?, Did you dyno tested yet? find any custom remap? Also i would like to ask you did you change your intercooler for bigger one -any turbo lag?, or you still on factory intercooler?

Thanks.

Rob

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    whitea5's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    asd
    Year of Manufacture:
    asd
    Transmission Type:
    asd
    Car Body Type: