330D 320D Hybrid turbo upgrade for not a lot of money. - Page 4

Notices

Thread: 330D 320D Hybrid turbo upgrade for not a lot of money.

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    dead_valentine's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thats good. I wonder if they do it on a flow bench? I have been reading up on garrats non repair policy. They claim that their vnt turbos are calibrated so finely that just taking a turbo apart knocks it out. And they do not remanufacture turbos or even sell parts for them.. hmmm I wonder what their agenda is! They also do not provide specifications for setting up a turbo, as they do in their factory, so other companies cannot calibrate them to oem specs... hmmmm wonder why that is!

I have a theory... to fool consumers into thinking that they have to buy a brand new unit..

they say your car could over boost and cause the turbo to spin too fast.... well I can blow that theory right out of the water right now... your engines ecu controls the amount of boost from readings for your map and maf sensors.. if it's too high the ecu trims the fuel until it comes down to the requested value..

they also say it could underboost causing pressure and heat build up in the turbine causing premature failure... now the only way that can happen is if the vanes dont open enough and to be frank it would have to be well out of alignment for that to happen.

The electronic actuator, so they say, has its eprom flashed at the factory to the calibration set by the flow bench. Fair enough... but it always reverts to its parked position when you turn the car off... that is a constant. If you align it as it was before your only talking a fraction of a mm if that!

Its utterly ridiculous to believe that 0.02 of a mm can cause over or under boost as they describe. And I bet if they were put on a flow bench pre and post rebuild that the difference would be minimal. Not to mention the ecu altering fuelling and learning as you drive.

So all in all I think it's all bull and just a way of making people think that they are infinitely more complicated than they actually are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mak46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E92 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Here's a question, the 330d has a Garett 22 Turbo, can you use the internals from that and install them in the 320d Garett 17 shell?

Or is the turbine too large for the shell?

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Yes its possible however you would have to have the turbine housing machined out too. That is a lot more difficult than just doing the compressor housing because it is cast steel. And personally I think it would be a waste because the turbo wouldn't boost until well beyond 2000rpm. I considered just fitting the 330d turbo but decided against it for that reason.

The bearing kits are the same so it should work, but personally I would stick with the 17mm turbine.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jazzler83's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E90 318d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    After taking my turbo apart (Mitsubishi) I can understand why it would need digitally re-calibrating after re-build. Purely because the vanes attach to the new core rather than the exhaust housing, and on fitment there are no guiding markers or anything to ensure that you are fitting them into the exact same position as before. There can be as much as 7mm difference when fitted while still retaining full throw of the actuator arm, even with the actuator still in the original parked position.

However I totally agree, it's madness that they don't publish the oem specs for calibration. I'm not sure if the company who said they can do the re-calibration do it on a flow bench or not, but they seem confident that they can do it..

I guess I won't know for certain until after its rebuilt, calibrated and fitted... however if it works then its certainly a much cheaper option than buying a brand new turbo, let alone a hybrid.

Quick question.. do you know if when the arm is in the parked position the vanes should be fully closed? or slightly open?

Also, finding bigger injectors to cope with the bigger turbo is proving harder than I originally thought. My engine (M47D20) uses older style non Piezoelectronic injectors (Rated at 90kw), wheras the 320d uses Piezo style, which I believe my car won't know how to run properly. Further research suggests that the 5 series E60 535d uses the same style injectors as mine (Although rated at 200kw), so i'm looking to see if I get and fit those, they will work properly? Otherwise I may be running my existing ones at whatever I can get out of them. If only I brought a 320d or bigger in the first place...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzler83 For This Useful Post:

bmw320d3 (02-11-2013)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I think the kw rating for the 30d would be per 6 injectors and the 18d would be per 4 injectors. 1hp=0.75kw so that works out so I wouldn't get too into that. You can however get high flow nozzles for your existing injectors. Something I may consider myself in the future as its pretty easy to change them.

As for the electronic actuator the best way to tell really is by marking it before you take it apart to see where they lye. I would imagine closed but I cant say for sure as mine, being the vacuum type is fully open when the actuator is off its stop and the vacuum is constant when ticking over and it is released to operate the actuator.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dead_valentine For This Useful Post:

jazzler83 (23-08-2013)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mak46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E92 320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Any updates on the turbo dead val?

It's been almost a month since the last post lol

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Yep turbo is doing well. No problems at all. I also did some research on electronic actuators for you. Turns out the alignment has a window of operation which dependsbon the alignment of the comrssor housing, as per my previous posts, marking it and putting it back together as close as possible to original is what you need to do when building. It also has a more advanced learning ecu which is even better at adapting and adjusting the vanes for boost than my car is. I have certainly noticed the difference, especially low down, since the ecu adapted to the new turbo in the first couple of hundred miles. So basically what garrat is saying about a fraction of a mm out makes a massive difference is complete toss... as I had already assumed.

Also as for them not releasing oem specs and not supplying spare parts, it looks like that is going out the window soon as they are making massive losses!

Big bunch of money grabbing corporate nobs!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dead_valentine For This Useful Post:

jazzler83 (18-10-2013)

12. 320d hybrid turbo bhp 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bmw320d3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    what sort of hp gain will you get from the hybrid turbo on a 2002 320d e46 150bhp

mods already

Full decat exhaust

EGR delete

Swirl flaps removed

k&N Air Filter

Vortex Breather
    Last edited by bmw320d3; 02-11-2013 at 22:25. Reason: Missed text

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    If you add an aftermarket intercooler, high flow injector nozzles and silicone hose set to that you can expect close on 254-258 and the tourque would be absolutely through the roof for a 2.0!

Can I ask though, your k&n, is it the oiled type where you have to put k&n's special fluid on it or is it dry? And is it oem fit or an induction kit?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bmw320d3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    you would need a new clutch running that sort of power, a smf conversion would be suitable ? I found a place that supply them for £500. I made the mistake and brought oil filled oem style filter, killed my maf. I will be getting a Pipercross panel filter. What intercooler would you recommend ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bmw320d3 For This Useful Post:

dead_valentine (25-12-2013)

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast