318ti compact. the cheap way to drift! suspension, diff, flywheel etc pre-turbo project

Notices

Thread: 318ti compact. the cheap way to drift! suspension, diff, flywheel etc pre-turbo project

Reply to Thread
  1. 318ti compact. the cheap way to drift! suspension, diff, flywheel etc pre-turbo project 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    geraint00's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    right im a total newb to bm's. im a mini nut who;s looking to start drifting in my own car! "dad is getting protective now of the mk2" lol right i aint going doing anything stupid like turbo or s/c yet! now my first task is suspension, steering rack and a few simple engine mods like a remap etc..... now iv a breakers yard very local littered in bm's =) so any bolt on idea's from other cars to help drift is HIGHLY appreciated =) pics on the way =)
    i figure start from the bottem work your way up to the power CHEAP

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    disco!!!!'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    sports coupe
    Thanks
    welcome to the forum
    what sort of budget are you looking to spend, you have a massive choice of genuine and aftermarket upgrades to do to you E36
    loud-low-slow-project

no sugar turkish, im sweet enough
    |
    |
    V

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    geraint00's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by disco!!!! View Post
    welcome to the forum
    what sort of budget are you looking to spend, you have a massive choice of genuine and aftermarket upgrades to do to you E36
    well as much as it takes to get what i need really... its not very specific price range i know but im concentrating on handling and control first so suspension is first on the way! i here alot e36 m3 have alot parts standard on them that would bolt on etc eg wishbones etc? this true? if so there's 2 being broken up for parts across the road =)

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    disco!!!!'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS 2.8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    sports coupe
    Thanks
    the compact uses the E36 front suspension layout where as the rear end has the same setup as the E30 so the E36 rear end isnt much use

the front wishbones will go straight on and you will have a choice of which ARB to use, the E36 M3 ARB mounts to the strut where as the normal E36 ones bolt to the wishbone, i dont know what setup is better but the non M E36s have a thicker front anti roll bar

The M3 front brakes will bolt on but make sure you get the hubs too as the disc and caliper wont fit a non M hub, the upside to it is you can fit 4 pot calipers from an E31 8 series on to the M3 hubs
    i have fitted M3 front brakes to my non M coupe, i realised that the front wheels were sitting closer to the front bumper than when using the non M struts so i bought some M3 spec suspension and it has put the wheel back in the right place

one mod that will stiffen up the front end is a X-brace, they were fitted to the converts and the Z3, it connects the front subframe to the floor and stiffens up the shell one good thing is you still have space to put a strut brace on top too

if you're going drifting i would recommend you fit adjustable top mounts, they will allow you to adjust the camber of the front wheels which in turn will affect the caster etc this will result in quicker self centering of the front wheels depending on how they are setup

have you been on drift works at all, there is a wealth of info on there
    loud-low-slow-project

no sugar turkish, im sweet enough
    |
    |
    V