Model of Car:
    3 series Conv 330D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi folks I am sorry if this is a repeat type of question but my 3 year old 330d convertible is now just out of warranty and it made me wonder if I should go for a remap as in theory there is nothing to lose. However a quick review of some previous comments makes me wonder how robust is the engine to cope with around 270 ish bhp and 570 plus nm [versus its current 231 and 500]
    Quite frankly I find the heavy convertible [perhaps my extras, heated seats, sat nav etc also add weight to the car] makes it rather tardy when coming up against golf tdis and even BMW 520s have given me a run for my money. I'm an experienced [IAM] driver and the car is serviced decent tyres etc. I like to drive safely but quickly. Am I having a late nearly 60 mid life crisis and wasting my money?
    I look forward to some thoughts and many thanks in advance if anyone can provide me with some sensible comments and testimonials.
    Paul
    Last edited by turnerpa; 08-06-2010 at 10:03. Reason: need to change title

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    Paul, welcome. A re-map would make a significant difference. We have approved vendors on here who will be along shortly with their views.

Can you edit your title in accordance with the posting rules, it should follow this format;

2007 E93 330d - Remap

Many thanks
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    turnerpa's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3 series Conv 330D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Many thanks I think the title should read ok now and sorry for not reading the rules i was rushing it too much in hindsight.
    Regards, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turnerpa For This Useful Post:

mark@vorny.co.uk (08-06-2010)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

7. 2007 E93 330d - Remap 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Dizzle77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I would highly recommend a remap. I had my 2006 e90 330d msport done back in late feb. Really impressed with the results.

Seem to have more power lower down in the revs. I'm not the boy racer type and mainly like to chill when i'm behind the wheel. I do like to give it a bit poke when needed though and after remap it just seems bit more responsive

In terms of fuel economy, I havent really noticed a difference though. Maybe a slight improvement, but it's fractional.

Got mine done by Emaps. I thought he was really nice guy and more than willing to answer any questions you might have.

Hope this helps

Emaps remapped

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizzle77 For This Useful Post:

Emaps (09-06-2010),mark@vorny.co.uk (08-06-2010)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    turnerpa's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3 series Conv 330D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi Dizzle77

Many thanks for your response, very positive and thanks for the recommendation.

I too like the power to come in low in the rev range so I can keep up with the traffic without her dropping a gear which can become tiresome as the engine isn't the quietest. An annoying thing currently is the tendency for this very heavy car [I think 240ish kilograms heavier than the saloon] to stay in lower gears at relatively highish speeds when if it was manual I would generally be 1 gear higher, so under 50 mph unless going downhill she will not go into 6th even if the paddle is applied. I was hoping the upgrade might make her change up more quickly but this may be asking too much! They don't do the 335d in the conv or not when I bought it otherwise I would have possibly gone for a 335.
    Regards, Paul

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
    Hi Dizzle77

Many thanks for your response, very positive and thanks for the recommendation.

I too like the power to come in low in the rev range so I can keep up with the traffic without her dropping a gear which can become tiresome as the engine isn't the quietest. An annoying thing currently is the tendency for this very heavy car [I think 240ish kilograms heavier than the saloon] to stay in lower gears at relatively highish speeds when if it was manual I would generally be 1 gear higher, so under 50 mph unless going downhill she will not go into 6th even if the paddle is applied. I was hoping the upgrade might make her change up more quickly but this may be asking too much! They don't do the 335d in the conv or not when I bought it otherwise I would have possibly gone for a 335.
    Regards, Paul
    After 3 years of ownership of my 335i, I find that I tend to drive mine more as a manual in Sport mode using the paddles than ever before as the wrong gear in my mind was too often used. As you say, 6th can be elusive on B-roads, then too prevalent on motorways at speeds below the limit. I thought I would never do this and just stick to 'D'.

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    turnerpa's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3 series Conv 330D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    I don't think I have tried paddles with the sport mode, going out at lunchtime will try it thanks.
    Don't you find the 335i a tad twitchy when cornering hard under acceleration with all that wonderful extra power? [362 bhp wow.....!]

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
    I don't think I have tried paddles with the sport mode, going out at lunchtime will try it thanks.
    Don't you find the 335i a tad twitchy when cornering hard under acceleration with all that wonderful extra power? [362 bhp wow.....!]
    Oh yes, but a lot less twitchy than it was on the RFT's. I can however confirm that the bulb works on the DSC function daily

I don't drive it that hard to be honest, it's mostly motorways, but when you need to overtake on A-roads it is great.

*removed

BFUK weekday crew

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    redadair's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d Sport (E60)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi mate, I had a similar experience to Dizzle but through a different approved forum Vendor. I can only ditto what he said really.

I was, and still am, very happy with the remap on a 2005 E60 530D. It shoots off like a rocket from standstill.

The only regret I ever had was not doing it sooner! Do it man, do it!! :-) Red.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redadair For This Useful Post:

turnerpa (08-06-2010)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    turnerpa's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3 series Conv 330D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    I did not know it made a difference or even thought it possible to avoid the RFTs, shows how little I know! I do find the handling on mine is poor under hard driving, this is to be expected its pure gravity/physics, but to be honest I had a Boxster S from new before this car and after 15 months or so decided the roads around our area, or certainly when I am out driving, which is mainly just Mon-Fri commuting, its usually unlikely to have the opportunity to safely drive fast and be safe. There was an exhilarating moment when I chased an M5 down the M11 in the 330d but thats another story. Suffice to say I heard him drop at least 2 gears and there was a smell like airplane afterburn [from him not me] before he got away, only for me to close up with him soon after.

Sport mode with paddles doesn't seem to work in harmony with the torque of the dsl. I think the 330d has 100nm more than the 335i from memory, but the 335i sure has the straight power, I test drove 1 in 2007 and decided it was safer to go dsl......

Lastly I once test drove a couple of TVRs, one was a Chimera, lovely sounding engine, and the other a Tuscan, which was so quick I managed to twitch it side to side on a dry straight road on a busy short stretch between 2 roundabouts near B Stortford, well I did have my foot down to the floor in second. I don't think they had things like stability control etc!!
    Regards, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast