120d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    Hey all.

Am new here, have said hello in the intro section.

Am after a bit of advice about any clutch issues after getting a 120d remapped.

My current car (golf gt tdi 130) needed an uprated clutch after being remapped. I am very interested in buying a 120d m sport, and wondered if the bmw's had similar clutch issues following remaps.

I have an ST3 box from chipped uk, so will be getting one of there remaps.

Also, I suppose i could pay the little extra and get a 123d (200bhp out of the box), but then I'd have the same issues, as Id be tempted to remap that.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Richie K
    Last edited by mark@vorny.co.uk; 28-09-2010 at 00:23. Reason: Please familiarise yourself with forum posting rules ref Thread Titles

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Pretty sure the standard clutch could deal with the extra power bud though it will probably wear out a bit quicker if your constantly abusing it

Ahmet

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Mr OBD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi Richie,

I think as you have had the PD130 mapped you just might have the 'tuning bug' so there will be temptaion for a map there anyway! :P

As for the clutch, I have not heard about any issues on those with clutch problems after a remap but you find most tuners on a 'stage 1' remap keep everything within save limits so the only thing you need is the map.

BUT, as I am in the VAG tuning trade the clutches on the Mk4 Golfs with the ASZ engine can be a little naff, even more so with the dual mass flywheels!

At the end of the day I always say to customers that enquire about the tuning and they ask about the clutch - it really all depends on what life the clutch has already had! you can do a few 100 miles and ruin a clutch... or you can do 200K and still use the clutch from factory.

Sometimes it is a risk you have to take.

Mike
    1st> 2004 Seat Ibiza 1.2
    2nd> 2005 Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI FR
    3rd> 1991 VW Polo Coupe 1.3
    4th> 1990 Honda CRX Del Sol
    5th> 1998 BMW E36 328
    6th> 2003 BMW E46 M3

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    Thanks
    the bmw's clutch will be find with a remap

the remap on the vw torque limiter should not be raised more then 300lbft or the clutch will wear out in less than 1/2 to 1 year

we have had to readjust the torque limiter on a good few customers cars after they have had remaps by the said company

we used to help out the said company with there problems they had after they remapped a car,this was a good few years ago

we saw loads of cars with problems

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    motechmike's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e92 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    DTC
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richiekuk View Post
    Hey all.

Am new here, have said hello in the intro section.

Am after a bit of advice about any clutch issues after getting a 120d remapped.

My current car (golf gt tdi 130) needed an uprated clutch after being remapped. I am very interested in buying a 120d m sport, and wondered if the bmw's had similar clutch issues following remaps.

I have an ST3 box from chipped uk, so will be getting one of there remaps.

Also, I suppose i could pay the little extra and get a 123d (200bhp out of the box), but then I'd have the same issues, as Id be tempted to remap that.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Richie K
    As above really, But also done to how many miles the car has done and how well its been looked after !
    Thanks Mike

01604 810000
    07842 122467

ECU mapping to a standard, not a price!

www.motechperformance.co.uk
    info@motechperformance.co.uk

facebook/motechperformance

Performance Software: EcoMap | CityMap | ActiveMap | X-Maps & X-Maps +
    Tuning: Eibach | Vmaxx | Remus | Remus Powerizer | Jetex | Hawke | PiperCross | Forge | Carbon Speed

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    I would put it down to the background of the engine's tuning history.

All BMWs would be done at the equivalent of a stage 1 remap, where they can handle everything as it is.
    On the VAG series, the 1.9 and 2.0 TDis are used on a massive range of cars, and are often tuned up to more then the clutch limit.
    In the world of VAG, it's seen as part and parcel of the overall tuning, for the sake of a stronger clutch to be put in, it now gives an option to have a more powerful remap, so it's looked on as the norm.

BMWs are tuned as far as the standard clutch can take and no further. The extra expense of a BMW badge on the clutch kit, and the lack of easily available cheaper options make clutch upgrades less likely.

You'll see quite a difference in clutch life between different people, many BMWs can last on the original clutch for 200k miles, the main wear point is the release bearing which is usually the first thing to go. Other people might need a clutch swap after 50-60k and 5 years.

Clutches have a range clamping torques over their lives.
    They start out at a decent level, but after some wear, and when they reach the mid point, they are now in the perfect point for the pressure plate and there is the maximum clamping torque, as they wear further again, it moves and starts to decrease so they are strongest at the middle of their life.

That means that at the start of their life, and especially when bedding them in, you need to be careful.

Removal of the Clutch delay valves if fitted is a good idea, this slows clutch engagement and can promote slipping.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    richiekuk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    120d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback

Thanks
    Well hopefully I'll be getting a 120d or 123d soon. Probably with 25k ish mileage. So should be ok for a remap.

x5nut, should I be worried about remaps from "the said company" with respect to clutches? Its just that I have already payed out for the switch box, and so now the maps are only £100ish each.

The End, is the removal of clutch delay valves common practice?

Thnaks for the advice guys.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    A lot of people have ditched the CDV, as it dumbs down driving.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=21&fg=10

Part 13 is the offending article, the point was to allow apes in wellies to drive smoothly, and stop the diff ripping out of the floor pan,
    so no matter how quick you take your foot off the clutch, at the business end it'll let it out slowly.

Some people have found this extra dimension of control takes away their own experience and control, and can make the car more jerky as they would apply power with their foot off the pedal, whilst the clutch was still gently engaging.

Different people will feel it's effects more, but if it does clash with your own driving style (which in no way points to it being "wrong") then you either have to adapt yourself or remove the valve.