2005 E92 320d - EGR valve causing me problems!

Thread: 2005 E92 320d - EGR valve causing me problems!

Reply to Thread
  1. 2005 E92 320d - EGR valve causing me problems! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    andys320dcoupe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d M sport Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Coventry UK
    Has anyone had this problem? My (chipped) 320d coupe has a problem with its EGR valve or something associated with it.

Fuel economy was down and it had a major flat spot from 1700 - 2200 rpm.

Bought an EGR bypass valve and WOW.. it flew, pulled like it should through the rev range. Only thing is, engine management light came on and wouldn't go out.

I cleaned out the original EGR valve and it seemed to open when pressed hard with no sooty deposits. Put it back on the car and the flat spot's still there.

Any ideas on what else to check? Not sure what the small pipe does that attaches to the nipple on it.. could it have a leak? would this effect it? Although the flat spot came back, the engine management light has now gone out. Grrrr!

2. Remove Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Unfortunately the engine light will come on if you have the EGR disconnected, a way round this is to limit the amount of EGR that gets in there, this can be done like this with a copper end stop obtainable from B&Q, 22mm IIRC.

Be a good idea to get the fault codes read first and speak to the main dealer about if there is a DDE(ECU) update for your engine, otherwise you could get them to reduce the amount of EGR that is ingested by adjusting it on the ECU.