Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn D. View Post
    Sounds to me that something is bad with the remap, mine is 330 petrol and after remapping the engine is much smoother through lower rev range and i average 31 mpg, not bad for a 6 pot, thought i didnt have an aggresive mapping, just one to smooth out the flat spots.

a remap is only as good as the condition and health of the engine itself and any decent future maintenance..

a decent mapper will do an engine health check and advise on a map or not on the health status and mileage of the engine..

a strictly in it for the money mapper won't..and theres plenty of the latter type about..
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    dactel's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydoggy View Post
    increasing the HP and torque and spinning a turbo harder etc etc is hardly ever gonna improve MPG on most ppls drving styles especially on an urban jungle animal..simple engineering logic..
    I used a Tuning Box and not only was it much smoother but the MPG improved. Not so with the re-map.

The people who did the re-map had an underlying look at my engine and there were no issues. As I said before, withour naming names, the people who did the re-map have a good reputation amongst BMW owners. I was told that the maps they installed had been loaded on many other diesel BMW's and that there were no complaints.

Maybe some people are easily pleased. As it is at the moment i'm considering abandoning the re-map and going back to the tuning box

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,238 Times in 4,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn D. View Post
    Sounds to me that something is bad with the remap, mine is 330 petrol and after remapping the engine is much smoother through lower rev range and i average 31 mpg, not bad for a 6 pot, thought i didnt have an aggresive mapping, just one to smooth out the flat spots.

you can't get aggressive power n torque mapping on petrols theres no secret or hidden bounty of untapped power to be had at all like diesels..
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Dactel - I have the same car as yourself and have been conssidering a remap for quite a while. I take it your model is 150bhp standard? As I have read that most remaps bump this up to around the 180 mark. Has your car been on a rollers to check this out?

Some remaps advertise an increase in MPG but surely if you tune your engine up to run faster then a decrease in MPG is going to happen.

I like yourself like the fact that the car doesnt drink fuel, so I can totally understand where your coming from.

....best of luck with whichever you decide to do.
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6891_seb Project Thread

6891_seb Project Thread Blog

* Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    dactel's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi Seb. Yes, I have the E46 M47N 150bhp .The theory is that after a re-map the car drives much more smoothly (through the gears) and this is where you improve mpg. Well thats the theory.

My re-map was done by reputable people. Im not sure what a 'rolling' test is, however after the re-map was done we took the car on the road and monitored performance via computer.

My mpg prior to re-map was 43.8, now its around 40.0. With a Tuning Box (speedbuster) it was around the 44.5, however I believe that they can mess with the reading. As ive said before though the Tuning Box felt better than the remap

Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dactel View Post
    Hi Seb. Yes, I have the E46 M47N 150bhp .The theory is that after a re-map the car drives much more smoothly (through the gears) and this is where you improve mpg. Well thats the theory.

My re-map was done by reputable people. Im not sure what a 'rolling' test is, however after the re-map was done we took the car on the road and monitored performance via computer.

My mpg prior to re-map was 43.8, now its around 40.0. With a Tuning Box (speedbuster) it was around the 44.5, however I believe that they can mess with the reading. As ive said before though the Tuning Box felt better than the remap
    Thanks for the info, makes it a lil clearer for me.....

If I was in your shoes with your situation then If I could it de-mapped for free then I guess I would, but best of luck with whatever you decide
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6891_seb Project Thread

6891_seb Project Thread Blog

* Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    redadair's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d Sport (E60)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi mate, my E60 530d remapped by motech mike, goes like stink, drives like a dream and I never look back (well only to wave at the ponce who dares challenge me, lol)

I think i got a slight increase on my mpg but with a mix of heavy foot and long m way driving I am not sure.

All I know is I am very happy with my remap and current mpg Red

PS would recommend everyone get a remap and stop thinking about it (if you can afford it), my only regret is not doing it earlier!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redadair For This Useful Post:

motechmike (06-11-2009)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12