Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 726 Posts
    Induction kit on a diesel is pretty pointless if I'm honest, you'd benefit a lot more from a direct replacement airfilter (ie K&N). The only benefit the induction kit would offer would be increased noise, but even then it wouldn't be spectacular so not sure if its worth the additional pennies. If you want more grumble from the air intake, my idea there is simple in theory, but extreme in practice, it means creating a custom air intake, hooking up a big-arsed cone filter that has its own housing and direct cold air feed. But again, its a lot of work for little performance gain and purely for cosmetic noise, so principally its not really worth bothering with imo.

Replacing the exhaust is definately helpful, de-cat yields good results, anything that increases volumetric efficiency (ie bigger lungs at the air in, and a bigger colon for farting the air back out) is highly beneficial for diesel performance. I've been looking around some sites for complete replacement exhausts, but currently weighing costs vs having a custom stainless one made locally, so the jury is out at the mo.

A remap is also a great way to maximise/optimise your engines power potential. Just keep in mind that additional torque would benefit greatly from an uprated clutch, since theres a good chance the standard clutch will get eaten up fast if you're flooring it a lot.

Other options including increasing the grade of turbo... this is where it starts getting more expensive. Of course to support that you'd want to make sure all your hoses and pipes are in great condition, to me that means aftermarket hoses (I'm trying to negotiate a deal with Roose Motorsport on this issue at moment, waiting to hear back).

A diesel will never have the sexy grumble of an M3 tbh, but that doesn't mean it has to sound like a diesel when you plant your foot. The secret is in keeping the engine healthy, optimal, using quality parts to make everything 'better', and to stick to a strick servicing schedule to keep the engine clean etc. Its quite easy to make a diesel powerful to extend/maximise its potential, the real secret there imo is to maximise how the engine already works with strategic tweaks etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mak-46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    wow...thanks for that...just made my day lol

I guess a simple panel filter will do...on the other hand, and exhaust is a MUST!!

But for parts etc...i have never gone and used lower branded parts etc...even for a simple spark plug change on the other car, i use the best there is...

This car has not, and will not have any problems as long as im the owner!!!

CAN SOMEONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS FOR A 54 PLATE SALOON...HEADLIGHT IS SEPERATE FROM THE INDICATOR!!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td SE Compact (Sapphire Black Metal)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Can't really help you on the headlight front :(

... and if you opt for larger/higher grade turbo (and the expense that comes with it), then you could uprate your injectors, fuel pump and all that stuff. Its an addictive chain reaction that never ends

Also has your motor had its swirl flaps removed?

But its so vitally important not to make the mistake many have, do and will - underestimate the importance of obsessive oil changes, turbo cooldown cycles and EGR/manifold de-coking/carboning. Otherwise your standard turbo alone will die young, without any performance increases needed. Just needed to get that off my chest

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mak-46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hah no worries about the headlights

I will be thinking of a larger turbo in future!! Maybe not on this car, maybe on the next car, 330d lol
    What are swirl flaps? Not sure what they are

I service the car about every 10k...with highest brand stuff there is!!!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    The swirl flaps are in the intake manifold, they've been known to break and when they do, the bits go down straight into your engine - often writing the engine off completely, very nasty stuff and a big failing on BMW's part. Do a search on this forum and learn all you can about them, because its important to get them removed/blanked if you do still have them to negate that risk The good news is its a cheap/easy thing to sort once and for all.

Castrol EDGE is ideal oil for these engines, I just bought 9 litres of the stuff (5w/30) for £58 delivered... absolute bargain, normally that stuff costs like £80-90 for 6 litres in places like Halfrauds or even many online retailers. I change oil every 6,000 miles, I'd do it more if I did more motorway miles but I live rural, so its normally A-roads and towns with enough start-stops to make me take note etc.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...e-info-t63278/

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mak-46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    will surely search more about these flaps...can i remove them myself? Or need pro help

And that is a bargain!!! Will defo take note of that down..never used it!! I normally do motorwya miles mainly

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    With motorway miles 10k is probably fine tbh

Removing the swirl flaps is easy enough, depends on your confidence etc, there are also how to guides on these forums for doing so. You can also get proper blanking plugs to fit after removing them, I got mine from:

http://www.pmwltd.co.uk/?tag=bmw-swirl-flaps

They're highly respected. Also view the PDF file which contains an article and details on them and the process of removing them etc. Direct link to the PDF file is:

http://www.pmwltd.co.uk/swirl_flaps.pdf

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mak-46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Sweeet..as long as i got a pro like you tellin me its all good then its all good lol

I am fairly confident in everything...but seein as BMW is slightly more complex, might do it in attendence of a professional

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mak-46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    more complex than a 1.4 golf lol

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    I'm not a pro, just a regular motor enthusiast looking to help and be helped on these forums to

Thats whats good about this forum, theres a wide variety of people ready to help out others where they can etc, so just a case of asking questions etc when unsure and figuring out the often different answers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast