320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    good morning all
    i was wondering if any body has had made or knows were to get a mild steel exhuast manifold for a 320d e46 on a 2004 plate.
    i have managed to obtain a hybrid turbo from turbo dynamics and my plan is to fit an external waste gate , but cannot do this with much ease as it is a cast manifold and is a pig to weld

Thanks in advance
    Jonathan Wallace BeNG
    I WOULD RATHER PUSH MY BMW THAN DRIVE A MERCEDES
    BFUK Nightshift Crew member

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Firstly it would need to be stainless steel, mild steel wouldn't last long as the heating and cooling would rust and fracture it in no time, secondly you don't need a waste gate on a diesel, the whole purpose of the waste gate is to protect the thottle but a diesel doesn't have a thottle (well the newer ones do but that is used to activate the DPF and not control the engine power output)

I presume the new turbo is a variable gain design? if not you will find it will be completely useless, also does it have a electronic actuator? the 2004 models on a DDE 5.0 engine management systems are not vacuum operated and so a vacuum controlled turbo can not be used. Also do you have somebody to do the mapping for the new turbo? No much point is putting a fancy turbo on without the map to match.

What is you intended power/torque goal? have you thought about the flywheel/clutch combo to match it?

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td SE Compact (Sapphire Black Metal)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 726 Posts
    If the new turbo isn't variable vanes then it would still need a wastegate to dump any pressure when the foot is lifted from the throttle. Continued feeding of boost when you take your foot off the pedal would be bad. With the variable vanes thats a gradual process as the vanes open/close, but with an external wastegate you'd dump all the boost and may find increased turbo lag as a result. Theres a good reason why these motors use variable vane turbos as opposed to the conventional style, most of the peeps I know would rather have a variable vane turbo on either petrol or diesel than a conventional one for that reason. I'm pretty sure you could get a hybrid to work, but it would require tweaking and setup correctly to be worthwhile - certainly won't be a case of bolt the original off and that one on. As Matt mentions, if the actuator on the hybrid isn't the same it could cause a host of headaches, even replacing the original has to be the same, either vacuum actuated or electronic, if yours is electronic and the hybrid vacuum, or vice versa, you've got a real problem on your hands.

Haven't done any homework on replacement manifolds yet, but agree you'd want to use better metal than the original and I reckon mild steel may be a step in the wrong direction. At least with a stainless option it should be easier than ever to fabricate as stainless + TIG welder = lovely fluid welds.

On my 320 I'm aiming for circa 200 PS, and even then with the standard turbo I'm expecting to have to consider the flywheel and possibly an uprated clutch, not so much to deal with the increase in 'power', but the sheer amount of torque the dervs can produce. Driven normally the flywheel would suffer and the clutch would bake, so def budget for that possibility too. A remap alone of the standard turbo can induce 400-410 newtons of torque, and thats a LOT of torque.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    swan1985's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    hello guys , tanks for the info.
    i think you are both getting a waste gate confused with a dump valves, all turbo have a waste gate , weather it be internal or external and weather it has variable vain or not , the purpose of fitting the external waste gate , is to control the the amount of exhaust flow through the turbo, boost pressure will be controlled much better with this method as this is the way a turbo was originally controlled and designed with this in mind, the variable vain set up removes the need to the requirement of a dump valve, which even on some diesel cars can be an advantage , but in most cases are just a complete waste if time. i have no need for a fly wheel as mine is an auto with a torque converter.as for the manifold stainless steel manifold my experience is that stainless manifolds never hold up to the job, cracking along time before the mild steel manifolds i have fitted to customer cars in the past, any way the idea of the new manifold has been scrapped , am going to attempt another method in stead. the turbo i am using is from turbo dynamics it is direct replacement , just been hybridised to give more power and remove the shell bearings for roller bearings and a few other bits, i hope to achieve between 200-240 bhp with a rolling road remap, which is very achievable , wont be taking it much above that though
    Jonathan Wallace BeNG

Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swan1985 View Post
    hello guys , tanks for the info.
    i think you are both getting a waste gate confused with a dump valves, all turbo have a waste gate , weather it be internal or external and weather it has variable vain or not , the purpose of fitting the external waste gate , is to control the the amount of exhaust flow through the turbo, boost pressure will be controlled much better with this method as this is the way a turbo was originally controlled and designed with this in mind, the variable vain set up removes the need to the requirement of a dump valve, which even on some diesel cars can be an advantage , but in most cases are just a complete waste if time. i have no need for a fly wheel as mine is an auto with a torque converter.as for the manifold stainless steel manifold my experience is that stainless manifolds never hold up to the job, cracking along time before the mild steel manifolds i have fitted to customer cars in the past, any way the idea of the new manifold has been scrapped , am going to attempt another method in stead. the turbo i am using is from turbo dynamics it is direct replacement , just been hybridised to give more power and remove the shell bearings for roller bearings and a few other bits, i hope to achieve between 200-240 bhp with a rolling road remap, which is very achievable , wont be taking it much above that though
    Just makes sure the new map considers the torque in 1st,2nd,3rd gears, the standard map on a 330d (204-218bph) drops the torque in those gears to protect the auto gearbox.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    swan1985's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    Just makes sure the new map considers the torque in 1st,2nd,3rd gears, the standard map on a 330d (204-218bph) drops the torque in those gears to protect the auto gearbox.
    yeah will do fella
    Jonathan Wallace BeNG