Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy84 View Post
    Really ............ reeeeeaaaaalllyyyy

mmmm maybe I've bought the wrong car then

I had a i10 as a hire car not long ago, wasnt what you would call a involving drive, more like a lift in a MILK TRAY box.

~On a more serious note, will removing the back box do anything to the engine or just make it slightly louder????
    Got it because I have 4 kids but it have been incredibly reliable, comfy to drive, cheap to insure and does 50k on a set of tyres. Ours is at 135k miles and the only thing it has needed is a new belt tensioner and new propshaft bearing (probably because it has done a quite a lot of green laning)

The i10 is an awful awful car but aims to compete in the £6k for a new car market so I guess you get what you pay for. The new i40 gives the Mondeo a run for its money as it has much more kit. That said I would buy a second hand BMW long before I bought a new i40 for example. Bought the Santa Fe because of the 7 seats and because we lived down a dirt track and needed a 4x4, the other 7 seat 4x4's were just way too expensive to run

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Stal1878's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    September 2001
    Transmission Type:
    5 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    It is a fair point but with so many 320d on the road the average MOT tester is going to get and idea of what models should have what pretty quickly. Agreed however on the back box, it just makes a nice noise with out it and is not too loud
    Thats true, but I don't think they can actually fail it because the new rules from VOSA exempt diesels and list the reason I said. Like you said I suppose the tester could wrongly fail it though. Also they have reduced the opacity reading from 3 to 1.5 for newer cars and so removing the DPF might effect this.
    The new rules are a load of crap and just make it more confusing for everyone =/

Yet another option is to just weld a larger diameter pipe in place of the cat or a straight through resonator, so it looks roughly like a cat, but doesn't restrict the gas flow.

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stal1878 View Post
    Thats true, but I don't think they can actually fail it because the new rules from VOSA exempt diesels and list the reason I said. Like you said I suppose the tester could wrongly fail it though. Also they have reduced the opacity reading from 3 to 1.5 for newer cars and so removing the DPF might effect this.
    The new rules are a load of crap and just make it more confusing for everyone =/

Yet another option is to just weld a larger diameter pipe in place of the cat or a straight through resonator, so it looks roughly like a cat, but doesn't restrict the gas flow.
    The new rules state that where an emission control device is fitted by the factory it needs to remain or be replaced like for like... or words to that effect. So even if diesels are exempt from the exhaust test that petrols need to pass they still need to have the factory fit bits in place. Now as you said, it would be an MOT tester with a photographic memory to remember every single car config and I doubt they have the time to look up every model when they are testing.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Stal1878's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    September 2001
    Transmission Type:
    5 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I found the bit of the new rules I was thinking of:

The fitment of a catalytic converter to petrol engine vehicles is mandatory for vehicles of the specified age and type e.g. passenger car, goods etc. The MOT Inspection Manual can therefore specify exactly what petrol engine vehicles must have a catalyst fitted.

However, whilst diesel engine vehicles are required to meet certain emissions limits for Type Approval, the method used to achieve this is not specified. It was left to the engine manufacturer to decide how to meet Euro 3, 4, 5 etc emissions standards.

For this reason, testers would be unable to readily determine which vehicles are OE fitted with a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) or Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system.

It was therefore considered that the introduction of a Reason for Rejection for a missing diesel catalyst at this stage, whilst complying with the Directive, was likely to lead to many incorrect failures, which is clearly unacceptable.

The matter is under review and may therefore change in the future.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stal1878 For This Useful Post:

matthew_henson (15-01-2012),Ronnie (16-01-2012)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    tailorbmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Have a look at my project thread. I just had my exhaust system replaced with a stainless steel one..

BMW 2003 320d Sport

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Taffy84's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d 2.0 sport 150bhp
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6-speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    You can remove the cats on a diesel still even with the new MOT rules because they say that the tester cannot know what type of diesel emissions system the manufacture/model is meant to have, CAT, DPF ect. The smoke test for Diesels is purely the opacity of the exhaust gas and not the composition of chelike petrols.

On our old E46 320d Touring I simply cut the rear silencer out and welding some pipe in, and you got a WOOooooo when you let up to change gear at lower speeds.
    Think I will be doing this then. A company by me does custom exhaust and I presume it won't cost much to have pipe and tip made from cat back.
    Your car passed its MOT I take it??

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    I found the bit of the new rules I was thinking of:

The fitment of a catalytic converter to petrol engine vehicles is mandatory for vehicles of the specified age and type e.g. passenger car, goods etc. The MOT Inspection Manual can therefore specify exactly what petrol engine vehicles must have a catalyst fitted.

However, whilst diesel engine vehicles are required to meet certain emissions limits for Type Approval, the method used to achieve this is not specified. It was left to the engine manufacturer to decide how to meet Euro 3, 4, 5 etc emissions standards.

For this reason, testers would be unable to readily determine which vehicles are OE fitted with a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) or Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system.

It was therefore considered that the introduction of a Reason for Rejection for a missing diesel catalyst at this stage, whilst complying with the Directive, was likely to lead to many incorrect failures, which is clearly unacceptable.

The matter is under review and may therefore change in the future.
    Good insight, thank you

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Stal1878's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    September 2001
    Transmission Type:
    5 Speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy84 View Post
    Think I will be doing this then. A company by me does custom exhaust and I presume it won't cost much to have pipe and tip made from cat back.
    Your car passed its MOT I take it??
    Being a TD the turbo takes out nearly all of the noise so you don't need a silencer like you do with petrols. Plus you'll still have the cat in to take some noise as well, so you should be fine for the MOT.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stal1878 For This Useful Post:

Taffy84 (16-01-2012)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Taffy84's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d 2.0 sport 150bhp
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6-speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Being a TD the turbo takes out nearly all of the noise so you don't need a silencer like you do with petrols. Plus you'll still have the cat in to take some noise as well, so you should be fine for the MOT.
    tanks for the reply, had some good advice on this forum :-)
    Hopefully get a quote tomorrow and see how it go's from there.

I have heard soot builds up more with a straight pipe instead of the turn down, on the bumpers and lights.
    again I've only read people 'think' this happens but not read of any one who actually has had this.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Taffy84's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d 2.0 sport 150bhp
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6-speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Ok a had a quote of £150 for the pipe to tip.

This will run from the joint after the second cat made out of stainless steel and with whatever tip I want.
    This also has welded in brackets and made to order.

Seems fair to me :-) hopefully get it done and report on it this week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast