2002 E46 330 - Steering Judder with redsuff pads/zimmermann discs.

Notices

Thread: 2002 E46 330 - Steering Judder with redsuff pads/zimmermann discs.

Reply to Thread
  1. 2002 E46 330 - Steering Judder with redsuff pads/zimmermann discs. 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    simpsona527's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    I fitted some redstuff pads and zimmermann cross drilled discs a couple of months ago as an upgrade and all seemed fine but today driving back from UK to Germany started getting steering judder after prolonged braking. Could the pads have warped the discs? Also I fitted some new aftermarket alloys a week ago, could this have anything to do with it?
    Any Advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    318i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and only 50k
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    tracking possibly or front lower arm rear bushes/track control bush?
    what mileage is the car?

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    I would be looking more closely at the alloys first off.

Many after market wheels need spigot rings to centralise them on the hub correctly. You need to check these are fitted (if required)

You will now if you need them because if you remove all the wheel bolts, push the wheel so it rests flat against the hub, try to move the wheel up and down. If it is located correctly on the hub there will be zero movement. If there is even the slightest of movement then this can cause drastic vibration issues.

Are the wheels brand new or second hand?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    I think you are onto something there, i only had the wheels a week. Reference the rear wishbone bushes for the other reply, I only had them replaced a month ago. Many Thanks for your replies.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    I checked the wheels and they don't need spigot rings so i am a bit baffled i really don't want to fork out for another set of pads or discs as i only just fitted them a couple of months ago. I took her out today and tried to get it to start juddering but i also set fire to the brakes trying and got massive brake fade eventually and the discs glazed blue. Does this sound like the pads are too good for the discs? I read up on zimmermann before hand and they are supposed to be good and one website mentioned they are used by porsche. I have also fitted goodridge hoses and changed to RBF600 fluid so i shouldn't of got brake fade from these should I?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gaz44's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Clio 172 Cup
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    Sounds like the discs are the problem. Redstuff pads are very good (are they not track pads?) so it sounds like the discs can't cope with the pads.

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsona527 View Post
    I checked the wheels and they don't need spigot rings so i am a bit baffled i really don't want to fork out for another set of pads or discs as i only just fitted them a couple of months ago. I took her out today and tried to get it to start juddering but i also set fire to the brakes trying and got massive brake fade eventually and the discs glazed blue. Does this sound like the pads are too good for the discs? I read up on zimmermann before hand and they are supposed to be good and one website mentioned they are used by porsche. I have also fitted goodridge hoses and changed to RBF600 fluid so i shouldn't of got brake fade from these should I?
    The wheels you bought, did you buy them new or second hand?

It could well be brake related. There is a "running in" period of approxiamtely 500 to 700 miles. If you've been a little keen to see what the new brakes can do then you may experience problems.

This is what I would do...

Take a trip to your local MOT testing station and ask them to test the front brakes. If the needle looks to be bouncing when pressure is being applied then you have warped discs.

I would also remove all of the wheels and inspect for flat spots or even get a tyre centre to spin the wheels up on a balancing machine to check for buckles/movement in the wheel

Am I correct in thinking you are in the Armed Forces? If so and IIRC I believe you guys have a place on camp where you can get all this checked out

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    If you really want to be sure then get the discs checked for run out, you can use a DTI on them, should be no more than 0.2mm.

Also if you've cooked the pads and discs since then you will from the sounds of it need to get them changed, check to see if the pads are cracked.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    nitsmistry's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    simpsona527

Did you manage to figure out the problem that you have with your brake discs/pads smoking and the blueing of the brake discs?

I have zimmermann brake discs and have recently upgraded (2 months or so) to ebc green stuff brake pads from an OEM brake pad.

This morning I have found the same problem that you described (severe juddering of steering wheel and smoking brake pads with blueing brake discs).

I have searched the web and have found some drivers have found that ebc pads are not suited to porsche brake discs (i'm assuming these are zimmermann).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Niten

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Paddy2bsure's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    9-5 Aero 2.3T
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A20 RYM View Post
    I believe you guys have a place on camp where you can get all this checked out
    BFG'd! These guys are more like a VOSA MOT test centre rather than a friendly local garage though...

My guess on the brake shudder is that the discs weren't bedded onto the hub properly to begin with. Any slight bit of dirt or grease that's not meant to be in there will cause the disc to run with a wobble. This may be barely noticeable to begin with, but after a while with the disc heating up more in one place then another, it'll overheat & warp. If you're running high-spec pads with a mediocre disc, this will happen even sooner.

From bitter past experience, genuine BMW discs are the best, closely followed by Brembo's. I have never known discs warp so quickly as the ATE ones.

Given what you have at this stage, try tightening up your wheel bolts properly again, as the discs are effectively clamped to the hub using the wheel nuts. The damage might be done to the discs already, but it's worth a shot to tighten things up a bit.
    E46 330i Touring (Sold)