Model of Car:
    330i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    i had one of these on my 316ti and when i had air induction i cut the dam thing off lol and sealed the hole up . my power did actually improve and i had no problems with it. it looked to me that it restricted. the old air box is worth keeping as i did in the end and just replaced with good filter . its sealed properly then from hot air and the air drawn in from the funny flat air duct goes straight to it . highly reccommened dont take the air box out...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,919 Posts
    i've seen similar setups on 2 stroke bikes tbh.
    there they were described as torque enhancing resonance chambers...dunno if its the same deal...or maybe some way of quieting the old induction set up
    what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

-------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Thanks for all trying, it is appreciated. I will let this run for a week then bite the bullet and visit the dealers to ask exactly what the hell it it and what it does. Might save a few people sleepless nights in the future. Nothing worse than an unanswered niggle

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    zerosum's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti 3.0 Supercharged
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Easy one this - It is a 'sound generator' designed to make the engine more throaty.

My 325ti has one and is only available on the compact I believe and the Z4.

You can disconnect it and remove the whole thing. It will not cause any problems at all as long as you seal up the hole in the intake boot or get one from a coupe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zerosum For This Useful Post:

Diablo944 (13-04-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    zerosum's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti 3.0 Supercharged
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    I see your running a K&N -so you don't have to worry about the intake boot..

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, appreciated. Was starting to think it had everyone totally stumped. K&N definitely makes it more throaty than it used to be so definitely no loss there. once again, thank you
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrbarry's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    I am not familiar with the engine or car but:

All air with out exception entering the induction system must flow thru the MAF or AFM so the ecu can meter fuel to suit. The temprature of this air is measured as is sg so the fueling can be trimmed via the ecu's look up tables and the air fuel ratios will be as BMW intended. Thus that part must be some form of positive crank case ventalation system, gear box extraction system etc, or a simple air heater for cold start assistance.

One thig is for sure tho, if its pre MAF it isnt going to effect fueling. Well, any alterations to flow pre and or post MAF can alter its calibration and effect fueling, not by a significant value realisticly.

I can also tell you the surface area of that cone is smaller than a good panel filter sitting in the standard air box. There are better ways to improve air flow than induction kits. Volumetric efficiency of the engine can be raised vastly by internaly smoothing and polishing the parts easy to remove, then flow matching them and port matching them. This makes the car a joy to drive! If you have more time and money to spend light head polishing and port matching is worth its weight in gold.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    318i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and only 50k
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    its a resonator box.
    basically as the air flows through the air inlet (where this part attatches) the air goes in and out 'resonating' the air and disrupting the flow of it. instead of the air flowing straight through the inlet, that box pulses air across the inlet and disrupts the air flow. better off without it and it gives a slightly more throaty sound by removing it.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrbarry's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    At low revs it will disrupt the air, at high revs and high air speeds the lamina flow will be so fast it will ignore the resonator and flow as normal, CFD simulations I have for a similar setup show a port of that sort of size at 90 degrees to a larger pipe like the main air feed, when the air is going slowly it will be disrupted, but at higher revs the flow becomes so fast it cant be disrupted by a clean 90 degree port due to its speed, on a 1800cc engine at 120bhp some where mid high rpm the air speed is going to be circa 0.04 seconds per 1 meter of pipe.

At these speeds you have to think of the air as a thick syrup like media not a free none existent media, that’s why engines struggle to move it about and why porting and polishing have such great effects, especially as engine speeds rise. Think about trying to wave a fence panel back and forth 3 feet 20 times a second that demonstrates the effects :

I used the CFD (computor flow designed) to see the best way to fit valves and diverters to my pipe work. At low revs the disruption may give more or less torque, tumbling air mix's the fuel better and makes a cleaner burn, at higher engine speeds the process becomes more wastefull but mixing is improved by defult. Without testing its not possible to say the effect this exact set up has other than noise reduction at low rpms.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Indy confirmed the thought process of the resonator box theories. It IS a resonator box. It isnt fitted to every car, and from what he was saying, it is there to give it a bit more of a throaty sound by channelling some of the induction noise into the area near the cockpit. Apparently, one of the Z cars had it fitted as well, Z!, ZŁ whatever. He did say which but I forgot. Either way, disconnecting it makes zero difference to the cars running. Without the pipe connected, the resonator is nothing more than a box with a flap in it that does nothing whatsoever.

One thing I smiled at today though. After doing the bushes and stuff on the car today, the mechanic took the car out for a quick test drive. When he came back he complimented me on the noise the induction kit made. Said it must have saved a fortune on big exhaust/back boxes as it sounded awesome.

Me thinks he didnt pootle on the test drive
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12