330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi there,

Coming from a corsa 1.3 cdti (albeit remapped to 100bhp and a bit more torque) I would have thought going to a 330d (184bhp) would have been quite a big leap in performance but ive been left very underwhelmed.

I understand there is a big weight difference but there is also quite a big power difference so thought I would be in for a nice surprise.

I dont think there are any real problems with it (turbo working, no whooshing or leaking I dont think) but when off turbo the car just seems sluggish and even when engaging the turbo it seems to take a while for much to happen. (flat spots?).

Ive been looking to compare it with another similar car (performance wise) to see just what would happen and I have some feedback.

Trackday situation, straight road, my car standard as was other car (Renaultsport 172), rolling start from about 10mph.
    Up to about 80 he pulled a good 5 lengths on me (changing gear at about 4k revs), 80-100 gap stayed the same, 100-110 I start reeling him in, near 125 im right on him, end of comparison.

Does the above sound about right or would you expect difference results? No wheelspin, no missed gears, everything was pretty much spot on.

Cheers guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Hassan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    350z GT / Cooper
    Year of Manufacture:
    Dec 2004 / 2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe / Hatchback
    Thanks
    Firstly...because you have a much bigger engine, you are definately going to take him after 100mph. About the lack of power...your car seems ok, if you are unsure get a diagnostic done! I rekon its because the power delivery is much more smooth in the straight 6 beamers than in 4 cylinder corsa. This factor will make you think you may not be going that much faster but you are! Just look at your speedometer fly upwards...

Get rich or die tryin'...
    BFUK Nightshift Crew member

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    motechmike's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e92 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    DTC
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    As above really, Hassan is spot on. Make sure the car is runing 100% ok but the 184s are a bit under powerd thats way that upped the power..

Mike
    Thanks Mike

01604 810000
    07842 122467

ECU mapping to a standard, not a price!

www.motechperformance.co.uk
    info@motechperformance.co.uk

facebook/motechperformance

Performance Software: EcoMap | CityMap | ActiveMap | X-Maps & X-Maps +
    Tuning: Eibach | Vmaxx | Remus | Remus Powerizer | Jetex | Hawke | PiperCross | Forge | Carbon Speed

DSK
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    DSK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328i Coupe / E36 M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997/P - 1996/N
    Transmission Type:
    Manual / Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe / Coupe
    Thanks
    To be honest you should feel quite happy with the performance. Even if you don't have the fastest car in the world, you know when something feels a little off.

Usually when cars run smooth enough but clearly have a slight drop in perform far too many people are quick to turn a blind eye as diagnosis is a real pain. On Turbo cars, this is a common issue. I would start by having a basis diagnostics done. Contrary to popular belief, some probablems won't show on a diagnostics code read out. All of my cars have been like this and its only 'old school' mechanics that found the problem.

For example, on my Supra, I have been overwhelmed by the smoothness, response and pace on both turbos and hitting speeds in excess of what I used to on my motorbike!

A couple of weeks ago, to diagnose another fault, Garage786 started by testing each part of the seqential turbo system, all pipes, hoses, 4 turbo related boost control solenoid valves etc one at a time. All was amazing until to my surprise they demonstrated that my EGR VSV valve solenoid was not working. One 2nd hand unit later and the car's left me speechless on the road with torque that feels unecessary and its like having two big turbos rather than a small one and a big one. Been out in it today for a Sunday drive, didn't even take it above 2,500rpm and I was giggling as much as I ever did.

Chances are you may have turbo boost control solenoid thats intermittent or just not working. (I also had to have this item replaced on my Volvo!).
    Last edited by DSK; 15-11-2009 at 18:22.
    Let the fun times roll .....

BMW 328i Coupe - Boge M-Tech Shocks, Boge Turbo Lowering Spring Kit (30/20mm), ATE Power Discs
    Volvo C70 T5 GT
    UK Spec Toyota Supra 3.0ltr Twin Turbo Automatic
    ZX6R J1 Ninja

Tyre Guide & FAQ http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...re-faqs-t1569/

BFUK weekday crew

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    if you have big flat spots then i would say something is clearly not right. Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference to the power delivery.