330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scorched soul View Post
    Vauxfan - so panel filters alone, in the standard air box will improve the noise? I thought the improvement in noise was only achieveable with induction kits? If a panel filter alone gives an improvement in sound, that would seem to a "safe" option in terms of not hurting performance of the car....

How would one modify the airbox to improve sound? I've heard about just making som holes in the box, but surely this would affect it's heat shielding capabilities???

I've heard the Simota Cold Air Kit will improve performance and it's heat shielding and intake are of high enough quality that I can be sure my performance will not be harmed. Would you agree wth this or do you recommend just staying away from induction kits altogether??
    dont touch the simota kit...it does look mint under the hood and the noise is great but you will not get any power increase...i had mine on 1day...got it on the rolling road and gained zero!..and this was with the filter hangin OUTSIDE my car with the blowers full on it so you would hav no chance off any power increase where it sits when your bonnet is closed...and unless its pure carbon fibre and not laminated the heat deflecting qualities are also zero..almost all induction kits can lose you power...with the exception off the afe intake kit,,as altho situated behind the headlamp,unlike others still uses bmws stock air feed from the kidney grills....think about it...how much air can get drawn in from behind your headlamp?..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxfan View Post
    i've seen ess sc go for 1-2k secondhand! some 1 sold 1 on here not long ago for 1k.
    thanx mate...al keep my eyes peeled..tho i think thers a few extras a-l tuning add too that as well...i know the supply new air filters etc,,im actually gutted at the thot off losing my afe kit..and the gearbox gets re-mapped...and the whole car then gets a live re-map

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    scorched soul's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gap141070 View Post
    dont touch the simota kit...it does look mint under the hood and the noise is great but you will not get any power increase...i had mine on 1day...got it on the rolling road and gained zero!..and this was with the filter hangin OUTSIDE my car with the blowers full on it so you would hav no chance off any power increase where it sits when your bonnet is closed...and unless its pure carbon fibre and not laminated the heat deflecting qualities are also zero..almost all induction kits can lose you power...with the exception off the afe intake kit,,as altho situated behind the headlamp,unlike others still uses bmws stock air feed from the kidney grills....think about it...how much air can get drawn in from behind your headlamp?..
    Sorry - I mistyped a word in my post: I meant to say I heard the simota box will improve the SOUND, NOT performance. As I stated, I am not expecting any performance increase - if I get a cold air intake kit, it will be purely for the sound improvement. I just want to make sure that any kit I get does not decrease my performance.

Keeping that in mind, would you recomend the simota box? You say the dyno showed zero gains, presumably it also showed no loss? If the simota CAI is not good enough, are there any CAI kits in the £200-250 price range that will improve sound while merely MAINTAINING performance. Again, I am fully aware that I will not get any perfomance gains. If there is any chance of a kit decreasing performance, I don't want it, but I most definitely do want the improvement in engine noise if possible.

Also, I assume I can safely fit a panel filter in the standard air box with no risk of adversely affecting performance - which would be the best panel filter for sound improvements?

Sorry for the typo in my previous post (now edited that post)

Thanks all!

SS

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    So Gap,

Is this the AFE system you are talking about?

http://www.ca-int.co.uk/variants-Y2F...9MjgyMw==.html

Is this the only induction kit I can fit with no risk of performance decrease?

If there are no induction kits that can provide sound improvement with zero performance decrease, what is the best non oiled panel filter to place in my standard BMW airbox?

I assume I should NOT make any modifications to the box in the hopes of improving sound as I could harm it's heat shielding and vacuum producing capabilities?

Thanks again, appreciate everyone's patience, I'm obviously one very confused newbie!

SS

ps. GAP, I just noticed you mentioned you don't want to lose you AFE kit - you have one installed in your car? How is the sound? I'm assuming the performance is uneffected as you have it fitted?

p.s.s GAP - Sorry, I totally missed your post where you explicitly stated you have the AFE Kit and that it was a great kit! I think you posted it when I was still in my "I don't care about the sound" phase! After hearing some you tube videos, I completely changed my mind, I didn't realise how addictive the sound could be!

Can I ask how easy it is to fit the AFE Kit? Do you need to have any experience or special tools? Would you recommend getting a mechanic to the install to be safe?

The AFE is slightly out what I was hoping to pay, are there any others out there which are cheaper or do you think it's best to wait until I can afford to go for the AFE - I would rather pay the premium if it's worth the cost.

Thanks again and apologies for missing your post!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    modding the airbox on bms doesn't consist of drilling holes in the sides like on say vauxhalls!, i do believe there is things in side that you remove to make the air flow movement better, as for noise, its only a little bit loader than stock, but with a remap the gains are there to have. panel filters go straight in the standard box. most applicatoins do help the breathing of the cars engine but mainly when other mods make the car ask for more air to make them work as they should. the choice is yours, i like my car stock looking, but with all the benifits of improved parts, and help with breathing is defo a must if you are remapping!, it is a persons own preferance as to what they like, i don't like cones or induction kits! others do.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    RIght - getting a stage 1 remap and vanos seal replacement from Mike at AL Tuning - he's a really helpful guy and their prices are very reasonable.

One question - I asked him about the CAI and he mentioned that they supply the Carbonio system, here's a link to the system:http://carbonio.com/performance/bran...99-intake.html

How does this compare to the AFE kit. I was pretty much set on the AFE kit, but this seems to be comparable? I would rather get everything from one place, so if this kit is just as good as the AFE, I'll get everything from AL, but if you guys think it's worth buying the AFE myself, I'll do that instead (both sound awesome!)

Looking at the installation guide for the Carbonio Kit seems to indicate that it doesn't use the stock intake tube but takes in air from the lower passenger side of the grill...is as "safe" as the stock tube in terms of good cold airflow and in terms of sucking up water, bit of rubbish etc?

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    sam_c's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    Scorched - good luck with the tuning (I have read with interest as I am likely to buy a 330 next as its the most sensible one on the list in terms of performance and running costs).

I had never heard anything about changing the pulleys to gain power (other than in supercharged cars), so boshed it into Google and this si the first thing it ame up with...(I know it is aimed at the E36, but I guess the same principles apply).

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technia...armonic-damper

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    So Gap,

Is this the AFE system you are talking about?

http://www.ca-int.co.uk/variants-Y2F...9MjgyMw==.html

Is this the only induction kit I can fit with no risk of performance decrease?

If there are no induction kits that can provide sound improvement with zero performance decrease, what is the best non oiled panel filter to place in my standard BMW airbox?

I assume I should NOT make any modifications to the box in the hopes of improving sound as I could harm it's heat shielding and vacuum producing capabilities?

Thanks again, appreciate everyone's patience, I'm obviously one very confused newbie!

SS

ps. GAP, I just noticed you mentioned you don't want to lose you AFE kit - you have one installed in your car? How is the sound? I'm assuming the performance is uneffected as you have it fitted?

p.s.s GAP - Sorry, I totally missed your post where you explicitly stated you have the AFE Kit and that it was a great kit! I think you posted it when I was still in my "I don't care about the sound" phase! After hearing some you tube videos, I completely changed my mind, I didn't realise how addictive the sound could be!

Can I ask how easy it is to fit the AFE Kit? Do you need to have any experience or special tools? Would you recommend getting a mechanic to the install to be safe?

The AFE is slightly out what I was hoping to pay, are there any others out there which are cheaper or do you think it's best to wait until I can afford to go for the AFE - I would rather pay the premium if it's worth the cost.

Thanks again and apologies for missing your post!
    hi mate..yeah the kit is very simple too fit..took me bout 20minutes..couple off screwdrivers and a ratchet set...the afe kit is expensive but ive had me fingers burned a few times in the past...this ones the daddy for an extra £100 or so more than you want too pay...defo no power loss and i spoke too a dyno tester in ireland who says ther is definate gains..trust me mate..it also sounds awesome...even my mate who has a 645ci v8 couldnt believe the sound from it..its a no brainer scorched soul..im a hard guy too please when it comes too my car,,i was delighted with the overall fit,look and sound off this piece off kit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gap141070 For This Useful Post:

scorched soul (30-07-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Gap - that's what I wanted to hear!

I think my plan is set in stone now. Gonna be remap, vanos seals and the AFE CAI. Total cost just a shade over 750 quid, so bang on! From my research, the remap and vanos seals are probably the 2 biggest things you can do for performance and also happen to be the two best value mods. The AFE is more for that awesome sound - seriously, I know it's hard to tell from youtube, but you cannot tell the difference between the AFE equipped 330's and normal M3's, they sound amazing.

Sam - Good luck with your search, the 330 is an incredible car for the money. I'll make sure to report back with the results so you can decide what mods you wanna do!

Good link on the pulleys - the makers of the pulleys do address this issue and claim their products don't cause any problems and they only offer the pulleys for the power steering and water pump but to be honest, the cost of the pulleys doesn't seem to be worth the results, and of course there is the increased risk of cooling problems, fatigue etc. Not really worth it in my opinion.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to scorched soul For This Useful Post:

gap141070 (16-07-2010)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    sam_c's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    Gap - that's what I wanted to hear!

I think my plan is set in stone now. Gonna be remap, vanos seals and the AFE CAI. Total cost just a shade over 750 quid, so bang on! From my research, the remap and vanos seals are probably the 2 biggest things you can do for performance and also happen to be the two best value mods. The AFE is more for that awesome sound - seriously, I know it's hard to tell from youtube, but you cannot tell the difference between the AFE equipped 330's and normal M3's, they sound amazing.

Sam - Good luck with your search, the 330 is an incredible car for the money. I'll make sure to report back with the results so you can decide what mods you wanna do!

Good link on the pulleys - the makers of the pulleys do address this issue and claim their products don't cause any problems and they only offer the pulleys for the power steering and water pump but to be honest, the cost of the pulleys doesn't seem to be worth the results, and of course there is the increased risk of cooling problems, fatigue etc. Not really worth it in my opinion.
    Your mods sound like the best way forward. There is a chap on here with a 6 series who I think has an AFE kit and speaks very highly of it. Get some vids up when you have done the above - am really interested to see how good that 3.0 lump sounds like a good kit on it.

I was reading about the pulleys and they did make some good points re the level of understanding between BM's engineering department and an aftermarket company (especially for items that can seriously muller your engine). The cooling system is a weak enough point on BM's, without making it any worse.

I think the search for my 330 may take some time (a high spec'd manual in an ideal world, if not a high spec auto).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast