330 ci sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiewright1990 View Post
    i dont no many places that pass cat-less cars... unless you no the tester wink wink nudge nudge... unless you have information to correct me
    theres 2 cats in the manifold and 2 cats in the front exhaust, you remove the 2 cats in the front exhaust and it passes mot fine.

2003 bmw 330ci sport
    plus 3 fiat puntos

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    APtuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330D sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    I'm here to offer you remap for your car and they are custom made to take into account any mods that you may have. Please be aware that IF you have a full exhaust system with high flow cats then it would be better to have this done first then the remap.
    You can always give me a call on 07930410102 to have a chat about things.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    scorched soul's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies everyone - it seems that in terms of performance, the remap is really the main mod for someone like me i.e. someone who wants to improve the low-mid end of the car but is not a hardcore modder (yet!), with the rest of my funds better served going towards other areas (actually need to get some new front tyres in 2-3k miles, so would prolly be better placed to forgo any exhaust mod and spend my money there instead.)

AP Tuning - thanks for your offer - I may contact you to find out some more details.

Beau - When i quoted the 30 BHP figure, I was referencing the claimed increase power from the pulley system. The pulley is mentioned just below the details of the stage 3 remap -

"Evosport Power Pulley Package

By far, the best BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK performance. Simple bolt-on design gives you up to 30 HP and 24 FT-LBS Torque! Depending on model

Features:
    - Bolt-on design
    - Billet aluminium
    - Black anodized
    - Does NOT modify factory harmonics or dampening
    - Includes replacement belts and bolts
    - Easily reversible "

From what I have read on various forums, the pulleys work by replacing the waterpump and power steering pulleys. They are lighter and bigger which somehow means they draw less power from the engine, thereby increasing the power available for driving. Another side effect is that your steering gets a bit more weighty, which is something that is appealing to me as I think I have the "overboosted" 2001 powersteering. Even if I don't, I definitely wouldn't mind a bit more weight to the steering.

The 30 bhp claim seems optimistic to me, and I think the realistic gains are more like 8 -15 bhp, if that. However, as I mentioned, you can apparently pick up the pulleys for 50 quid or less on ebay, which makes these a nice little upgrade. I was hoping someone would have more experience with them though, as it''s hard to pin down the EXACT effect of replacing the pulleys. As I said before, the most reported comment is that the engine feels freer revving and improves drivability, but it doesn't seem to be as significant as a remap.

I'm thinking I'll probably spend my money on a remap, tyres, and will pick up some pulleys IF I can get pick some up on ebay.

I'm guessing AL Tuning's stage 2 and 3 options are not very good value for money, as no one has mentioned them?

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    a-l tunings stage 3 package is over £2k mate...i enquired bout these in january..they are very realistic and honest with the prices and figures...off the top off ma head you get approx 275bhp and 350nm torque?without spending that kind off money you wont get that kinda performance...be wary off big increase low budget offers mate...a-l tuning are pretty legendary in the bmw tuning scene,,,they really know the score..im personally saving for an ess supercharger....320bhp and 410nm torque...its only the torque im interested in too be honest..cost..£6k..should be worth it tho coz a wanna keep the car or else ad just trade her in for an e46 m3

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Gap - surely for 6k plus what u would get for your car, you could get an m3...and then slap a sc on that!

I think a first stage remap and possibly underdrive pulleys is gonna be it for me. Remap seem to be relatively similar, given you go to a reputable company (all the mentioned names so far in this thread), so think I'll just do that. I'll then probbaly just keep an eye out for pulleys on ebay and pick a set up when I see some going for a good price, but no rush. I've only had 2 days of having 231 bhp, after 7 years of 100, so maybe I should pace myself! Remap for now, pulley in a few months, M3 next year!!!

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scorched soul View Post
    Gap - surely for 6k plus what u would get for your car, you could get an m3...and then slap a sc on that!

I think a first stage remap and possibly underdrive pulleys is gonna be it for me. Remap seem to be relatively similar, given you go to a reputable company (all the mentioned names so far in this thread), so think I'll just do that. I'll then probbaly just keep an eye out for pulleys on ebay and pick a set up when I see some going for a good price, but no rush. I've only had 2 days of having 231 bhp, after 7 years of 100, so maybe I should pace myself! Remap for now, pulley in a few months, M3 next year!!!
    yeah a wish mate...supercharged m3?that would be nice,,unfortunately scorched soul i still have 3years money too pay on ma car hence the supercharger...i hav tho off every possibility mate...so console maself with individualising ma own car and beefing up the power a bit..take your time mate and all will come good...the 330 is a great engine and will keep you smiling for a long time..ive had mine 2years and still feels like the first time a picked her up everytime i drive her

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    i've seen ess sc go for 1-2k secondhand! some 1 sold 1 on here not long ago for 1k.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hey all,

Still thinking about what to get done - am definitely getting a remap, just need to decide which company from. I think I will probably go for AL Tuning or Superchips, purely due to their close location to me (obviously also for their good reputation, but there were other reputable companies such as Emaps, AP Tuning etc that are too far for me).

If anyone has any recommendations which is the company to go for, that would be great, although I get the feeling any of the "big names" will do the job and it's more a case of what personally works for me in terms of price and convinience (someone please tell if this is not the case!)

I have another question, regarding induction kits - I know they don't improve performance, but they sound incredible! Are their any Cold Air Induction Kits that definitely DON'T adversely affect performance? I love the sound they make, but don't want to sacrifrice any performance. Can anyone recommend a couple of cold air kits? I was thinking the Simota CAI Kit is ok for 200 quid - am willing to pay that to achieve that sound, realise performance gains will be basically nil, which is why my only aim is to not decrease performance. If there are any CAI Kits which are known to have any benefit to driveability whatsoever, that would be a bonus.

Do panel filters alone (in the standard air box) improve the sound of the engine? What are the best panel filters?

I've spent hours on google and it's annoyingly hard to find any concrete evidence on induction kits and panel filters. I can't find a consensus induction kit that everyone says will not harm performance....

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    right, personally i would only ever buy a replacement panel filter!, and i have to be honest it would be green cotton filter!, expensive but the best are!, they do give a slightly louder sound and a 1=2 bhp increase and it can be made to give 3-4 with a remap writen for a car with a high flow filter, Add that to your power increase and you could be looking at 12-15 bhp, which is the best pound per bhp increase you will see, and also the response and drivability will be so much better!,
    You can also moddify the standard airbox to give a better flow and sound.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Vauxfan - so panel filters alone, in the standard air box will improve the noise? I thought the improvement in noise was only achieveable with induction kits? If a panel filter alone gives an improvement in sound, that would seem to a "safe" option in terms of not hurting performance of the car....

How would one modify the airbox to improve sound? I've heard about just making som holes in the box, but surely this would affect it's heat shielding capabilities???

I've heard the Simota Cold Air Kit will improve the engine sound and it's heat shielding and intake are of high enough quality that I can be sure my performance will not be harmed. Would you agree wth this or do you recommend just staying away from induction kits altogether??

Just to reiterate - NOT looking for perfomance gains, only sound improvement, BUT do not want to sacrifice any performance.
    Last edited by scorched soul; 14-07-2010 at 17:00.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast