330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hey all,

Just bought myself the car in my specs and am looking to do some performance mods. I have a budget of about £750, including labour. My thoughts are:

1) Remap - which company is best, Emaps, Superchips, AP Tuning?
    2) Some type of exhaust mod, maybe decat - what are my options here?
    3) Vanos Seal Replacement - Was thinking buying them for USD 60.00 then getting them fitted, guessing about 5 hours labour?
    4) Air Filter - Is this actually worth it, research suggests mixed results?
    5) Anything else that works! - Headers, cams????? (no nothing about these!)

I know some good indie mechanics who charge about 15 an hour, so assuming that rate, what could I do for my money, and what options should I go for from the above list?

Cheers,

SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    beau's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    1) remap is a good idea, i used AL tuning, and he did it for £150 (normal price is £235 i think)

2) i removed the 2 cats in the front pipe and i dont know if it made a difference because i had it done within my first hour of driving it lol

3) vanos seal, upto you, my car is on 160,000 miles and its never had them replaced, and i dont plan to either, i think its pointless on the e46 with double vanos tbh.

4) simota carbon airbox is best for price/performance, if you can find someone with one, theres a 4 week wait then they sell immediatly lol.

5) use 99 octance petrol.

i think your best bet will be airbox (£200), remap (£200), then get a cat back exhaust made up with front de-cat pipes (£400) and go from there.

2003 bmw 330ci sport
    plus 3 fiat puntos

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    hi mate..ther is also mixed opinions regarding remaps tho the vendors on here are highy regarded...better throttle response etc can be expected,,pay £250-£300
    couple with a good exhaust and thats pretty much your budget gone..
    the air filter or induction kit is what most people go for is more sound orientated..i hav had..gruppe-m,,,simota and bcm cold air kits and took the all off,,,went bak too stock until i got an afe cold air kit,,,superb...unlike the rest uses bmws stock air feed and has a completely enclosed heatshield...£375 ca-automotive...push your budget too about£1100 and i think with the air kit,,exhaust and remap youll be smiling

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    scorched soul's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for the quick replies guys, was expecting it to be a while cuz of the F1 and football (watching F1 with laptop - just got car yesterday and cannot stop myself from researching!).

I was actually just about to edit my post to ask whether the best idea would be to go for the remap, as this seems to be the easiest mod, gives a guaranteed 15bhp, plus the improved driveability etc and is relatively cheap. This seems to be the best bang for buck opton. Your posts have reinforced that - I don't care too much about noise and the idea of spending 200-400 quid on something that may or may not give me some performance is not really appealling.

I was thinking to get a remap and then perhaps get my vanos seals replaced and maybe leave it at that for now? Exhaust and Air Filters seem to not give much on top of those 2 mods/ repairs, and the money saved would be best served to pay for some future maintence or the extra cost of the shell v-power that I'm sure I will be going through very quickly!

With regards to remapping:

1) Emaps - seems to have a great reputation, 17 bhp gain, think its about 200-250 from them?

2) Superchips - only a 14bhp gain, but I really like the look of the improved torque curve, really improves the 2500-4500 range, which is where I think i would spend most of my time (unless REALLY gunning it), and it seems to significantly uplift the torque in the 2300-3000 range, where the car really needs it IMO.

Saying that, I assume EMAPS and any other reputable tuner would also exhibit a similar improvemed torque profile?

3) AL Tuning - what gains did you get beau? Is the torque improvement in the 2-3k range noticable?

Would you guys recomend just to go for the cheapest/most convinient from the above 3? Any others I should consider?

Decatting - so this is literally just removing cats? Does this mean it's essentially free? You say you didn't notice much difference, but is there a general consensus on whether this adds any performance? Is it supposed to change the noise in anyway? Any danger of failing the MOT? Is it easy to put the cats back in for each MOT and then take them out again?

Cheers guys, really appreciate the help - think I'm gonna remap for now, research the vanos seals a bit more and perhaps get that done and MAYBE decat, but think I will leave it there for now.

Cheers!

SS

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    Martyn D.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Scorched, the re-map is a great way to go, drivability will be greatly improved and lower rev torque was the most noticeable improvement for me.
    As for increase in overall bhp I'd take the 15 bhp as slightly exaggerated, the 330 is a great engine but without going down the forced induction route it will see little top end gains from a re-map.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    beau's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    remaps- IGNORE bhp figures.

10bhp is more realistic, it is very unlikely you will gain over 10bhp from a re-map alone.

i went with AL tuning cos they seemed to have experiance, i dont know bhp figures, cos i dont really care, its not about the bhp figures its more about how much more driveable the car is, if a company starts telling me they guarantee another 20bhp i would be worried and go else where.
    AL tuning have a supercharged M3 demo car which they have had for ages and its still running well, so im pretty sure they know what they are doing.

i wouldnt change vanos seals unless you have a problem?

cats need welding out, will pass mot, scorpion full exhaust exhaust removes cat and replaces with silencer, and its no louder than standard exhaust.

and i use tesco 99 petrol, the extra cost you gain in mpg

2003 bmw 330ci sport
    plus 3 fiat puntos

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    scorched soul's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Just wanna add - completely forgot about these: Underdrive Pulleys. These seem quite interesting - the principle behind them sounds reasonable, and it seems the belts can be bought for anywhere between 50-100 quid, which seems quite reasonable. The power gains quoted range from 4-30bhp(!), so a bit unsure. Anything above 7-8bhp would be worth while to me, especially if they can be had for 50 quid.

It's actually the AL tuning website that quotes 30bhp -surely this cannot be correct, as i think AL ones only cost about 200 quid, so that would be incredibly cheap! Does anyone have an idea of realistic gain?

A remap and pulley for a combined cost of about 300-400 quid, and gain of 25-30bhp seems pretty good value to me and I would def want to do that.

Sorry for the "all over the place nature" of this post, as you can tell, I'm a bit confused when it comes to modding, there are so many options, and its hard to seperate the genuine ones from the ones which are a waste of money!

Edit - Point taken on the bhp gains. To be honest - I'm using bhp gains as these are a measurable aspect of the mods, however the real performance gain I am looking for is in the 2000-3000 rpm range and increased torque, and the car feels just a bit "sluggish" in this area, so anything that genuinely improves the torque in this area is what I am after, even if "headline" figures don't actually increase much.

To give you an example, the superchips bhp/torque claimed gains - http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/330i.pdf

It's not the 14 bhp that is appealing to me here, but the torque increase in the 2-3.5k range - THAT is what I'm looking for! It seems a simple remap alone will go a long way to addressing my needs, so I think the remap will be my first mod and may indeed be sufficient for me, along with running shell v power. Beau - you mention tesco 99 ron, do you think this is better than shell vpower? I've heard that the shell is the best? The engines are made to run on 98 ron, so anything above this would not be utilised by the engine?

The underdrive pulleys intrigue me - don't see them mentioned much in tuning threads, but when searching for them, the reports seem to positive, but annoyingly no ever seems to indicate the exact effect they have. The most common improvement is that the engine revs easier, but not sure if there is an actualy improvement in torque and driveability in the 2-4k rpm range....
    Last edited by scorched soul; 11-07-2010 at 15:46. Reason: additional comments

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    beau's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scorched soul View Post
    Just wanna add - completely forgot about these: Underdrive Pulleys. These seem quite interesting - the principle behind them sounds reasonable, and it seems the belts can be bought for anywhere between 50-100 quid, which seems quite reasonable. The power gains quoted range from 4-30bhp(!), so a bit unsure. Anything above 7-8bhp would be worth while to me, especially if they can be had for 50 quid.

It's actually the AL tuning website that quotes 30bhp -surely this cannot be correct, as i think AL ones only cost about 200 quid, so that would be incredibly cheap! Does anyone have an idea of realistic gain?

A remap and pulley for a combined cost of about 300-400 quid, and gain of 25-30bhp seems pretty good value to me and I would def want to do that.

Sorry for the "all over the place nature" of this post, as you can tell, I'm a bit confused when it comes to modding, there are so many options, and its hard to seperate the genuine ones from the ones which are a waste of money!
    al tunings website says 14bhp gain for 330ci so not sure where your looking?

330Ci

Stage 1

Stock

Modified

BHP

231 BHP

245 BHP

Torque NM

300 NM

314 NM

iv never heard of this pulley... how does it work?

2003 bmw 330ci sport
    plus 3 fiat puntos

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jamiewright1990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    remaps- IGNORE bhp figures.

10bhp is more realistic, it is very unlikely you will gain over 10bhp from a re-map alone.

i went with AL tuning cos they seemed to have experiance, i dont know bhp figures, cos i dont really care, its not about the bhp figures its more about how much more driveable the car is, if a company starts telling me they guarantee another 20bhp i would be worried and go else where.
    AL tuning have a supercharged M3 demo car which they have had for ages and its still running well, so im pretty sure they know what they are doing.

i wouldnt change vanos seals unless you have a problem?

cats need welding out, will pass mot, scorpion full exhaust exhaust removes cat and replaces with silencer, and its no louder than standard exhaust.

and i use tesco 99 petrol, the extra cost you gain in mpg
    i dont no many places that pass cat-less cars... unless you no the tester wink wink nudge nudge... unless you have information to correct me

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    exhausts are a waste of money imho, bmw exhausts are really top quality as it is, i personally wouldn't go near scorpion and the likes, these sort of exhaust were good on cars built back in late 80's early 90's, but now technologie has moved on there isn't much skope for any improvement over oem. i would only ever pick magnex back then aswell.
    Green cotton filters a good option with remap. then if i had the funds i would replace all bushes with powerflex and make sure all the suspension is in top condition. get some angle eyes and maybe a set of better shocks, the car will feel 10x better.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast