BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 330 Airbox Debaffle, Golf Tee Mod and Drop In Filter

Tags
debaffle
13K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  scorched soul 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've made a seperate thread as I haven't seen much mention of the debaffle and golf tee mod, so thought it be some good info for some owners who perhaps don't have or are planning on getting an induction kit but would like a little sound improvement.

Basically, I'm planning on getting an AFE CAI and a remap for my car but may have to wait up to a month or more, but have heard about the above 2 mods and was hoping some people here knew about it.

1) Debaffle - So I get this is just removing a little tube from the airbox, which increases the sound of the airbox a bit, but I cannot find instructions on how to do it for an e46 330 anywhere. I don't even know what a baffle looks like? If anyone could help out, that woud be great.

2) Golf tee Mod - Same as above. I understand that you remove some hose from the exhaust and it keeps the valve in the right exhuast tube open all the time. Again, how do I do this? Are there any downsides to this - I've heard it can harm low end torque? Is this mod reversable?

3) Drop In filter - Replacement panel filters are actually pretty cheap so I was thinking of dropping one in my standard airbox until I get the CAI - what are the best 2 or 3 dry panel filters? (would like to have 2 or 3 recomendations so I can find something online).

Cheers guys!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Martyn, that is a good link - I've actually found quite a bit of info now, I'm not sure why I was struggling before....

Really struggling to find anything on the airbox debaffling tho -keep finding instructions for the e36 but nothing for the e46 330!

Vauxfan - Green cotton filters are dry? Do you have a part number or is there only one type of standard replacement panel filter for the e46 330 for most filter companies? I know AFE do both oiled and dry, but do most others only the one type? I know K&N are oiled, what about BMC and Pipercross?

#5 ·
Right, this a bit weird. Was out driving this evening and remembered this thread and tried to listen out for a change in the exhaust note above 3k rpm or for the sound of the valve opening and couldn't really hear a difference. My friend refused to look in the exhaust while I revved it, thinking it was some practical joke i was trying to play - tried explaining why wanted her to check, she was having none of it! So ended peering down the exhaust myself when I just got home now, and the valve was open while the engine was running at idle.

Obviously, can't check whether it closes at revs. I can move the valve by just pushing it, but requires quite a bit of force, and then springs back open. What I find really weird is that the spring load mechanism springs back with quite a bit of force...does the vaccum normally create THAT much pressure??? I could understand if the valve moved and stayed in whatever position I left it in, as I've read with other people, but the fact that it requires so much force to push open either means the spring is loaded that strong OR that the valve is rusted but somehow springs open freely...

Think I need to check the valve with some revs....

#7 ·
Strange...gonna get someone to have a look while a rev the engine - maybe it's someone what rusted and so closes at once revs are lifted a bit. Have no idea how the vacumm system works, so don't know whether it would be strongest or weakest at idle.

If it's stongest at idle, then it's safe to assume it's always closed...easiest to look i reckon, if it stays open at revs, i might ask somone to have alook while it's in gear and rolling, as some have suggested this may be required for it to close...

Gonna open up the airbox and have a little dig around inside, see if I can find anything that looks like the e36 baffle...

#10 ·
Neal - So my airbox doesn't actually have a "baffle"?

So does this mean there is no modification I can make short of replacing filters, installing CAIs etc? I know I can desnorkel the airbox but don't wish to do this as it seems to me that this would allow warm air from the engine bay into the airbox.

About to have a little look inside my airbox now, but I guess there won't be much for me to see!

Btw - checked the exhaust valve with the help of a mate, seems like it's stuck open -whether it's already modded or there is some type of failure (maybe solenoid has packed in) that has caused the valve to stop working, I'm taking this a nice little stock mod already performed for me!

I'm curious as to what the car would sound like with the valve closed - I did notice the car had a nice deep rumble, but assumed this was normal, I didn't notice a difference from a couple of other 330's I test drove during my search, so maybe it isn't a massive difference...saying that, I do like the way my car sounds, so would recomend this to anyone who has a valve that does currently close itself!

#11 ·
You may have a squarish looking baffle (doubt it though), but not a restrictor if it's more air you want to change the note. Lot of older BMs had a little cone pipe you could remove from the air box intake. I would just replace the air box with a CAI as you suggested :thumbsup. I've also seen a couple of air boxes before where the owners had drilled the box and fed air in from the ducts in the bumper...:shifty: 'Good luck in the wet' I'd say to them :hihi

#12 ·
Does anyone know if this is a dry or oiled filter?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/B...39bfaca82b8933d664b13f782c0f30b2a880be56&ZFIL

Edit - Just found out it's oiled - this shouldn't be a problem as it's pre-oiled right? I assume the issues with the MAF sensor only arise when the filter has been cleaned and re-oiled and that no one has experienced problems with an oiled filter during the first use "straight out of the box"?

#15 ·
Neal - cheers for the info. I guess it's a trade off between filtration and volume of air let through the filter.

Ended up buying the filter for £30 from a local shop (hence the sudden question about the BMC, had seen it on sale and wanted to pick it up as it was the last one in the store).

Gonna go install it now, will also keep an eye out for the baffle!

#17 · (Edited)
Just back from a fairly long spin after installing the filter. Now, I don't know whether this is just placebo effect, or even just the fact that I was now actually paying attention to the throttle response, pick up, sound etc, but I do think there is an improvement.

I definitely hear a difference in the 3-4k rpm range, a subtle but definite "growl" is there now. There does seem to be a bit more to the engine note at all speeds (and revs), but I don't know whether this is imagined or just never noticed before...I know I like it tho!

Pick up definitely isn't harmed, and the car feels great but I wouldn't say I can feel any improvement. I may swap back the old filter when I have some time and try and do a proper back to back to see if the differences are as big they appear to be.

For 30-40 quid, i don't think you can really go wrong, especially if your oem one needs replacing anyway. Incidentally, my old filter didn't appear to be that dirty, so in a way I'm quite happy with the results, because I know any perceived improvement isn't just due to switching from an old grubby filter to a fresh new one.

Edit - Didn't fully open up the airbox, just enough to slide the filter so didn't get to search for the baffle, but may open her up fully next wkd, looks a bit more time consuming to do, but can then have a proper look for any type of baffle, prolly nothing in there, but worth a peek...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.