320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    Got to disagree with you dirtytorquer..

What is an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve?
    From Christine & Scott Gable, former About.com Guide
    See More About:hybrid vehicle reviewsdiesel vehicle reviewsflex-fuel vehicle reviewsother alt fuels
    Definition: An EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is an emission control device that sits between the exhaust and intake manifolds on a vehicle engine and regulates the amount of spent exhaust gas that is mixed into the intake stream. Its purpose is to cool combustion chamber temperatures to the threshold that reduces the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOx). The higher the combustion temps, the higher the formation of NOx. In conjunction with the OxyCat and DPF, the EGR valve significantly reduces unburned hydrocarbons, soot and NOx in diesel exhaust emissions.
    Pronunciation: ig-zawst gas ri-sur-kyuh-ley-shun
    Examples:
    EGR valves cool engine exhaust gas temperatures to help lower oxides of nitrogen emissions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Livebait's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    This might help this

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Livebait For This Useful Post:

SlowTech (01-04-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    DirtyTorquer's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Fair play and mybad. The things I have been reading up on were diesels without an EGR system, yes I am a muppet. High EGT's on a diesel can be a cause of running too rich BUT not in relation to an EGR setup.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,798 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livebait View Post
    This might help this
    TIT and TOTs would you believe it! So EGR delete constitutes restricting the intake path and increases EGT (exhaust gas temperature)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I'm a TIT.
    But do not most kits claim to increase the intake path by having a larger diameter bore than the original EGR? I would say something inside the intake or clogged air filter would be restricting the intake path. Having said all of this, I am running a washer in mine with a 13mm hole so more of a 50% reduction. Catalytic converters restrict exhaust flow, shame on them. So I have a washer and reducing the exhaust gases going in so have upped my EGT's...but have a decat pipe of which have reduced some of the restriction in my exhaust system which has dropped my EGT's.
    I guess good way would be to put the car on a dyno and get some base figures of power and temperatures, then block out the EGR and do some more runs. Only way to really see how much of a difference is really taking place.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirtyTorquer For This Useful Post:

alan7869 (01-04-2011),SlowTech (01-04-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,798 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyTorquer View Post
    I'm a TIT.
    But do not most kits claim to increase the intake path by having a larger diameter bore than the original EGR? I would say something inside the intake or clogged air filter would be restricting the intake path. Having said all of this, I am running a washer in mine with a 13mm hole so more of a 50% reduction. Catalytic converters restrict exhaust flow, shame on them. So I have a washer and reducing the exhaust gases going in so have upped my EGT's...but have a decat pipe of which have reduced some of the restriction in my exhaust system which has dropped my EGT's.
    I guess good way would be to put the car on a dyno and get some base figures of power and temperatures, then block out the EGR and do some more runs. Only way to really see how much of a difference is really taking place.
    Agree DT only way to see for sure is specific temp testing pre and post EGR delete, too many other variables to consider.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    alan7869's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    There seems to be contradicting info..I have tried to get my head round it logically and looked at it this way...unlike a petrol a derv (or dirty sludger for doggy) always has the air tract fully open and rpm is governed by the amount of derv injected ...the egr valve is part of the air tract and therefore part of the manafactures calculations when working out the volume of air entering the cylinders...so if you just block it off you are reducing the total volume of air ( all be it dirty air) entering the engine therefore unless the ecu is altered to reduce the amount of fuel then you will be running rich..just blocking the egr valve to trick the ecu into thinking it is working will surely do just that and make it run rich ?? therefore increased egt..just my thoughts..I admit im not a derv mechanic but served my time (some 30 yrs ago) in engineering up to hnc level. but more than happy to stand corrected with another explination ( we live and learn)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7869 View Post
    There seems to be contradicting info..I have tried to get my head round it logically and looked at it this way...unlike a petrol a derv (or dirty sludger for doggy) always has the air tract fully open and rpm is governed by the amount of derv injected ...the egr valve is part of the air tract and therefore part of the manafactures calculations when working out the volume of air entering the cylinders...so if you just block it off you are reducing the total volume of air ( all be it dirty air) entering the engine therefore unless the ecu is altered to reduce the amount of fuel then you will be running rich..just blocking the egr valve to trick the ecu into thinking it is working will surely do just that and make it run rich ?? therefore increased egt..just my thoughts..I admit im not a derv mechanic but served my time (some 30 yrs ago) in engineering up to hnc level. but more than happy to stand corrected with another explination ( we live and learn)
    Not too familiar with diesels myself but learning. You're right and I have been boggling myself on this now, came to similar thoughts of what you have just said. Given the EGR valve is not monitored by any means of an air flow device, it's given volumetric flow for a specific time will have been calculated, as you have said. So yes you're correct, by cutting off or limiting the gases going into the combustion chamber, it is indeed restricting the intake system.
    I'm not a complete idiot...some of my parts are missing.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Xmak 330d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livebait View Post
    So how many of you out there have blocked off fully or semi blocked there's off?

And I'm talking about your EGR valve on your car
    Yep about 18.500 miles ago no issues Cars now nearly at 162k

I did it the simplest way (and it's free) by removing the small vacuum pipe from the egr valve, doing that disables the valve so it stays shut all the time

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Xmak 330d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Reading the other posts regarding ERTs if stopping the egr caused car to rum richer with higher EGTs you'd get more black smoke out the back. I've not seen this with my car nearly smokes at all.

The car knows the egr is not responding (gets this infomation from the MAP sensor) so will replace (my guess anyway) the air that's not coming from the egr with more air from the turbo.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Xmak 330d For This Useful Post:

alan7869 (01-04-2011)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast