Model of Car:
    318i e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    i was wondering what sort of power gains i would expect to get out of my 316i. it is currently at 105bhp. i can get it remapped to 115bhp at a cost of 270quid. How much realistically does a k and n give the car. Does iridium spark plugs give any extra power?. What bhp realistically will i get doin this to my car. Am not expecting anything crazy but would be nice to have it at 120bhp. Or can i put a bigger donkey under the bonnet is it a simple case of my 1.9 out and a 2.5 in. Do the gear boxes match up and would i need the ecu or different loom. A 325i engine would cost 400 quid. The other potions cost the exact same. Thanks for any replies

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    you probably going to hear this a lot but the best bang for you buck is to drop a bigger lump in it.If you can get a 325 lump for £400 then thats the way to go but you would need all the ancilliaries to go with it too......ideally it would be good to get a donor car then you could take off everything that you need from it Other than that its not really worth tuning a 316 because it'll be a lot of money to get the same HP as putting in a bigger lump

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dar_e46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    that was quick wasnt expecting a reply so soon cheers. as i have said i would be happy with 120bhp. i dont want to go into the cost of ecu, looms gear boxes and all that other jazz simply bcos i dont have it. the car is lucky to get petrol lol. I only have the car 2 weeks now and is really nice to drive and we have our first baby coming in june which is why im not looking for massive bhp just something to get me up hills without heading for 3rd gear. I was driving 2.0dti vectra c before the bmw. I put a tunig box on it at a cost of 530quid. it was 100hp standard and boxed was 130bhp. if i had it at 120bhp wouldit be as quick as my vectra i would be more than happy with that. thank again and apologies for being long winded.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dar_e46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    another question. i read on parkers guide there is 318i with the same 1.9 engine code as my 316i but its putting out 120bhp. what is different about them or is it the ecu. if so can i just change over the ecu as this is the same engine.

7. 316i 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    scania2003's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dar_e46 View Post
    i was wondering what sort of power gains i would expect to get out of my 316i. it is currently at 105bhp. i can get it remapped to 115bhp at a cost of 270quid. How much realistically does a k and n give the car. Does iridium spark plugs give any extra power?. What bhp realistically will i get doin this to my car. Am not expecting anything crazy but would be nice to have it at 120bhp. Or can i put a bigger donkey under the bonnet is it a simple case of my 1.9 out and a 2.5 in. Do the gear boxes match up and would i need the ecu or different loom. A 325i engine would cost 400 quid. The other potions cost the exact same. Thanks for any replies
    to be honest mate for just under a extra 10% hp do you really think its worth the extra money put into it, £279 for remap is good, but for just that little bit extra, personaly i wouldent, save your money and save up for a better motor,, mind you thats just my opinion, sorry

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dar_e46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    i have no intensions of changing the car. as i said before i just want a little extra oomph to get up the hills. i love the car for comfort and has all the gadgets i need. i dont mind paying that for the remap and that is one of the dearest quotes i got. what i would like to know is how come the 318s with the same engine as mine ar 15hp more.. could i just take the ecu out of a 318 and put it in my car.