BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 BMW E46 316ti compact (1.8 N42) - Whats involved in dropping a 3.0l from a 330ci into my car??

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  baderlfc 
#1 ·
As the title suggests i'm interested in dropping a 3 litre straight 6 from an E46 330ci into my car.. I've had this idea ever since seeing an E46 compact with an m3 engine on bmw syndikat..

Just wondering as i've never taken much interest in engine transplants etc what would be involved?

Obviously I would need to upgrade my brakes, I've already got coilovers and new re-inforced top mounts so suspension should be ok..

Is it just engine/gearbox/ECU that are transplanted??

Any help or advice would be HUGELY appreciated! :D

I think this would be a cheaper alternative to buying a 04 or 05 325ci/330ci as I was planning to do next year..

#2 ·
A lot is involved
Engine and gearbox will need to be changed, the ecu, wiring, might need to be coded in if your not changing ignition barrel.
then you would need to change the full exhaust from the manifold backwards as the 3litre is a 6 cylinder and has twin exhaust pipes to the back.
Brakes also like you mentioned
would be cheaper to buy a 2001 330ci i would imagine

#3 ·
hmmm I may have to price up the parts, I've got mates who could do the work so labour wouldn't be a problem..

Do you reckon the prop, diff and drive shafts would cope with double the BHP?

#5 ·
any idea if the diff, driveshafts and brakes from an e46 330 would bolt straight onto an e46 compact?

#7 ·
Can't afford to M3 it unfortunately mate.. I would love to do that mind!

I've been trawling forums all day and I've come up with the following list of parts i'd need:

complete engine and gearbox,
wiring loom,
ECU,
6 speed gear linkage,
engine mountings,
330 calipers, discs and uprated pads,
330 diff and drive shafts,
330 exhaust manifold and complete exhaust system...

A good £2000-2500 worth of parts if not more..

this could be a reality.. starting work around april/may next year..

#9 ·
So there definitely won't be any need for major electronics work to link the new ECU/engine upto the car then RYM? Also no need for new locks/barrels?

I forgot to put instrument cluster on that list.. thats not the end of the world though!

#10 ·
Next question on this subject now that i've had most of my questions answered..

Would I have to re-inforce my subframe/chassis to fit a 3 litre lump?

Also would any work need to be done to the engine bay? And finally would I need to have custom engine mounts made?

Hopefully someone knows these things because I can't find anything close to answering my questions online anywhere!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.