Model of Car:
    335d M Sport Highline
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I guess 246bhp is based on just under 20% transmission loss on the car...? It's a shame no one ever prints before and after results on the same graph from the same RR session etc - so you can see the 'true' value of the remap.

Maybe they don't do this for a reason?

Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    actually a lot of companys do do this! when i was in the vauxhall seen, there magazine "total vauxhall" had a monthly rr day, where the before and after results were published. some companys do this when chipping, so they can see where they need to improve through the rev range.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    binman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A20 RYM View Post
    205 at the wheels

I'm disappointed that many remappers don't have the facility to show before and after dyno results

I'm a bit surprised by this too I've only ever been involved with remapping and dynoing of bikes. My local shop will do a remap of the power commander (a kind of piggyback fuel management system costing around £250) and before and after dyno runs for £110 all in. You can download and use a generic map according to what air filter/exhaust and any other intake mods you might have for free but the only way to get it spot on is to have a custom map created where the tuner will analyse the dyno graph and adjust how much fuel is delivered in 50rpm intervals. The sofware to carry this out is available for free from Dynojet (power commander manufacturers) and there are loads of generic maps available, the units have a USB interface and if you felt the urge could change the map yourself easily with a laptop and USB lead.

A dyno run whilst measuring the air/fuel ratio and exhaust gasses is the only way of making sure the fueling is correct.

I presume tuners charge a lot more for cars due to software costs and the time taken to develop the maps, perhaps it is more complicated to remap a standard ECU?, is the ignition timing taken into account on car remaps too?. From reading up on the subject when you have your car mapped the tuner will use a generic fuel/ignition map developed from the same model. Remapping and dynoing for bikes is very popular and I'd imagine as it becomes more so for cars the price will come down.

EDIT: I should have said above that during a remap the tuner will download the existing map from your ECU, save it on thier PC and then change the fueling characteristics to predetermined levels (the generic bit) and then overwrite the ecu with the new map. This is my understanding of the process and shouldn't be taken as fact, I'm happy to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    ozzuk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 CI Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I've never taken a car to a RR but my feeling would be I'd want the car tested first to check its running okay and what its outputting and then tested afterwards so you can see the difference.

RR results vary massively so the only thing that really matters is the difference between before and after. Otherwise, for all you know the car was a similar level before hand (common with jap cars).

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Richy_Boy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport Highline
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    A dyno run whilst measuring the air/fuel ratio and exhaust gasses is the only way of making sure the fueling is correct.

EDIT: I should have said above that during a remap the tuner will download the existing map from your ECU, save it on thier PC and then change the fueling characteristics to predetermined levels (the generic bit) and then overwrite the ecu with the new map. This is my understanding of the process and shouldn't be taken as fact, I'm happy to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable.
    The best place to map a car is on the road/track as many rolling roads insist on measuring the power with the hood up, which is of course WAY cooler than when down (which in my opinion is why people see gains from induction kits, rather than panel filter). It's also not easy to simulate cruising/part-throttle scenarios on the rollers due to the lack of wind resistance, which is as important to get right as peak power.

If you pay for a proper custom map they will follow the process you describe, however, if you buy a 'generic map' then they'll simply backup your map and then blow the 'modified' one on.

Rich

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Richy_Boy For This Useful Post:

binman (12-09-2009)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    binman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanks for the extra info Rich makes more sense now.

One thing I hadn't considered because I was looking at this from mapping a diesel vehicle is that an on road test would be helpful to a petrol car as readings could be taken from the o2 sensor in the exhaust to check what is coming out of the engine is correct.

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    Emaps's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    ST 2.2TDCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
    I guess 246bhp is based on just under 20% transmission loss on the car...? It's a shame no one ever prints before and after results on the same graph from the same RR session etc - so you can see the 'true' value of the remap.

Maybe they don't do this for a reason?

Rich
    I do it and have no reason not too.

However, I always use independent dyno's or dyno's of a customers choice, never my own dyno for obvious reasons.

Below is a dyno plot, before and after from a 535d I did last week. My customer uses a device called Autterra Dashdyno to measure the power difference. The device measures the power on the road at the wheels which my customer did a before and after run. Car gained 40bhp and 100nm which is exactly what I asked the engine to make.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Richy_Boy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport Highline
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Excellent work.. I'd like to se simular for an NA car though.

Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12