2000 E46 330Ci Tuning Advice Please.

Notices

Thread: 2000 E46 330Ci Tuning Advice Please.

Reply to Thread
  1. 2000 E46 330Ci Tuning Advice Please. 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    bimmer46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi,

I've had my 330Ci auto for a few months now. I was going to buy a Jag X type 3 litre, but my dad (BMW coupe owner and general Bimmer convert) persuaded me to try a BMW coupe, and I'm glad I took his advice.

I love the car to bits - it has plenty of poke (for a car, that is)*, and the handling is fantastic but I think it could do with a bit more power, and I also find the throttle response is a bit wooly. Hence, I'm now looking for some basic tuning advice please.

Here's my aims and requirements:

1. A bit more power and a crisper throttle response:

- Remap? - Who does the best kit? Prices? Pros/cons? What sort of gains can I expect and whereabouts in the rev range? Can anyone post dyno graphs of remapped cars please?

- Induction kit - Again? Which kit? Prices? Gains.....Etc?

2. A bit more noise:

- I've read a bit about removing the back box. I don't have facilities to do this myself. Please can someone recommend me a workshop in or near London to do the work?

3. Service:

- Before I do any tuning work, I want to have the car serviced. Again, please can someone recommend a workshop in or near London who could do this at a decent price, and preferably do the backbox removal at the same time.

4. Any other ideas for cheap tuning cheats?

- One of the best I've ever come across was when I had a Kawasaki Z750 and I got an extra 7BHP just by chopping the lid off the airbox! Is there anything on the 330Ci that can be chopped, unplugged or jammed open that releases a bit more power or responsiveness? That's the sort of thing I'm talking about....

Thanks in advance.

* I also own motorbikes (Ducati 748R and a Honda Hornet), both of which are 3 second 0 - 60 machines, so TBH, most cars seem a little bit sluggish in comparison!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    Martyn D.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Heres a trick you could try for the throttle.....
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-trick-t23990/

As for more power theres not a lot you can do to the 330, one thing to check is that both outlets pipes are working at the rear, one has a flap inside it that gets stuck, this is supposed to open at higher revs, get someone to rev the engine while you feel both outlets to check they are working.
    I've had a re-map on mine, it made a hugh differance to throttle response and increased the torque at lower revs, there are a few remapping vendors on the forum who could help you out if you want to go down that route

Hope this helps

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    bimmer46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn D. View Post
    Heres a trick you could try for the throttle.....
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-trick-t23990/

As for more power theres not a lot you can do to the 330, one thing to check is that both outlets pipes are working at the rear, one has a flap inside it that gets stuck, this is supposed to open at higher revs, get someone to rev the engine while you feel both outlets to check they are working.
    I've had a re-map on mine, it made a hugh differance to throttle response and increased the torque at lower revs, there are a few remapping vendors on the forum who could help you out if you want to go down that route

Hope this helps
    Thanks - that's really helpful. The "reset routine" is just the sort of thing I was thinking of. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Re: exhaust flaps. I checked that today when the engine was off, and mine either works or is stuck open (it can be moved with my finger, but it does feel a little stiff).

Re: power: With it being a normally aspirated engine in a well designed car, I thought it may struggle to get a lot more ooomph. However, I'm not under any illusion I can turn the car into an M3 - another 10% or so BHP and torque would be great, if the price isn't too high.

Which remap did you have? What is the received wisdom on which is the best one?

Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    Martyn D.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Not sure what part of London your in but this might help...
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-offer-t29362/
    The meets are always good fun and you'll find everyone a friendly and welcoming bunch.

I had mine done by BWChiptune, just explained what i wanted.. re throttle response and more torque at lower revs.... and got exactely what i wanted, it did transform the car and my mpg averages around 31... though i dont do many "city" miles.

BFuk Resident Design Guru
    Car Details
    Bigbenstrikes's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Sprintbooster for throttle response.. Google it.. Think there £170...

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,920 Posts
    exhaust flaps are open with the engine off...they close by vacuum switched via a solenoid.
    ie they should be shut while idling
    hth
    what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

-------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    bimmer46's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbenstrikes View Post
    Sprintbooster for throttle response.. Google it.. Think there £170...
    Thanks.

Is it worth fitting one if I'm going to have the ECU remapped? Ie: won't the remap also improve throttle response anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by 328mark View Post
    exhaust flaps are open with the engine off...they close by vacuum switched via a solenoid.
    ie they should be shut while idling
    hth
    Thanks. I'll have someone rev the car while I check. Still, the fact that it was open is a good sign (ie: better than being seized in the closed position).....

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn D. View Post
    Not sure what part of London your in but this might help...
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-offer-t29362/
    The meets are always good fun and you'll find everyone a friendly and welcoming bunch.

I had mine done by BWChiptune, just explained what i wanted.. re throttle response and more torque at lower revs.... and got exactely what i wanted, it did transform the car and my mpg averages around 31... though i dont do many "city" miles.
    Thanks. I'm in N. London. I'm not sure I'll be able to make that meet, but I'll look into it. Also, if I'm only saving £75, it would need to be somewhere pretty close by in order to make the saving worthwhile as I could end up using almost that amount in petrol, but from what I remember of the thread, somewhere on the coast was being mentioned.