2000 E46 323ci - what pressures are you running with your 18" mvs? - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 2000 E46 323ci - what pressures are you running with your 18" mvs?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    plumhead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scorched soul View Post
    My owners manual and the sticker on the inside of the door sill both say 2.4 front and 2.9 back (psi: 36,42). It says this with a picture of 4 people, so I assume this is the standard pressure, which is designed to cope with the load of up to the equivalent of 4 people, so I put slightly less in with 34 front and 40 rear. I was initially shocked at the recommended pressures, especially the rears, but the car feels fine at these levels and I have a feeling the the lower profile of the 18" tyre, perhaps coupled with the sports suspension means higher pressures are required.

I personally am not going to drop below 34,40, as I think you should follow the guidelines per the manual, I'm sure the car has been designed to work best with these pressures in mind. Saying that, 33,37 doesn't sound too bad, especially if you don't have sports suspension or drive mainly without passengers.
    I am with you on this one. My pressures are higher on the same size tyre. But mine is a saloon, and a 330d which would be heavier. If you ran a 323i coupe with my tyre pressure you would probably wear the middle of your tyres out.

Bmw have made the calculations and they are far more specific.

If it aint broke don' fix it

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scorched soul View Post
    My owners manual and the sticker on the inside of the door sill both say 2.4 front and 2.9 back (psi: 36,42). It says this with a picture of 4 people, so I assume this is the standard pressure, which is designed to cope with the load of up to the equivalent of 4 people, so I put slightly less in with 34 front and 40 rear. I was initially shocked at the recommended pressures, especially the rears, but the car feels fine at these levels and I have a feeling the the lower profile of the 18" tyre, perhaps coupled with the sports suspension means higher pressures are required.

I personally am not going to drop below 34,40, as I think you should follow the guidelines per the manual, I'm sure the car has been designed to work best with these pressures in mind. Saying that, 33,37 doesn't sound too bad, especially if you don't have sports suspension or drive mainly without passengers.
    i put 29psi in fronts and 40 in rears as per door plaque, and i am supprised to say the car feels spot on!, i don't know why i put 34 in fronts?, plaque clearly says 2.0 for 225 40 18 fronts!.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    sam_c's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    It has always amazed me at how hard you need to have the tyres on a BM.

I follow the plaque, but the set up for 2 people as I rarely have more than one person in the car. Can't remember exactly what the numbers are, but it is around 2.2 front, 2.6 rear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12