323 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxfan View Post
    being plastic, can't you just use a die grinder and open the intake port holes alittle? you would get the same results surely. looks about a couple of hp max i would have thought! especially when the 323s restriction is in the stroke!
    Hi vauxfan the ram tubes on the 323 manifold are smaller all the way back not just at the ports so opening up at the ports would not have much effect.After going to the trouble of taking of the manifold would it not be easier just to fit a second hand 325 manifold and disa valve you can pick both up for about 100
    quid.I thought the 323 and 325 engines are basically the same the 323 being detuned by smaller inlet manifold ram tubes ,smaller throttle body diameter and different ECU .I heard this was done on purpose to suite German insurance ratings which were based on engine output at the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmafitzy View Post
    Hi vauxfan the ram tubes on the 323 manifold are smaller all the way back not just at the ports so opening up at the ports would not have much effect.After going to the trouble of taking of the manifold would it not be easier just to fit a second hand 325 manifold and disa valve you can pick both up for about 100
    quid.I thought the 323 and 325 engines are basically the same the 323 being detuned by smaller inlet manifold ram tubes ,smaller throttle body diameter and different ECU .I heard this was done on purpose to suite German insurance ratings which were based on engine output at the time.
    no the engines are completely unique, the m52tu is the same engine in 323 and 328 form, the 325 is the same as the 330!,
    only difference I can see is the stroke is different on the same bore size. 323 is 75/84 and 328 is 84/84. Also slight variation on torque figures.
    if the stroke of the 323 is 9mm shorter you cant replace that unless you tune the tits of it. Or force induce it
    At the end of the day tho, there is no replacement for displacement
    The e46 323 is a M52tu engine. 256S4 Engine code.

The e46 325i is a M54 engine. 256S5 Engine code.

Cylinder head and Headgaskets are the same.

Cranks are the same.

Blocks are different.

Con rods have different part number so also different.

Pistons are different.

Exhausts are different.
    theres loads of stuff different between them
    Exhaust manifolds even, 325 with cats built in,
    I think the 323 have them very close to manifold but bolt on seperately

conrods & pistons as said will be a massive difference between the two

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jmafitzy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quoted from user akhbhaat on e46fanatics:

Differences between the M52B25TU and the M54B25 (2.5L) are minimal, limited mostly to differences in ECU tuning and the intake manifold.

The M54B30, however, has a number of improvements of the base M52B25TU and B52B28TU designs.

This comparison primarily deals with the differences between the M54 and M52TU engines, but it also notes differences between the M54B30 and M54B25. Also interesting to note that the only significant difference between the M54B25 and M52TU is in the intake manifold.

M54 Engine - Mechanical Changes

NEW PISTONS - The piston has a shorter skirt compared to the M52TU and continues with the graphite coating for friction and emission reducing measures. The piston rings have been modified to reduce friction.

CRANKSHAFT - The crankshaft for the 3 liter M54 is adopted from the S52-B32 - M3 engine (forged). The crankshaft for the 2.5 liter is carried over from the M52.

CAMSHAFT - The camshaft for the 3 liter M54 is modified with more lift and new valve springs to accommodate the increased lift. The camshaft of the 2.5 liter M54 is carried over from the M52 engine.

INTAKE MANIFOLD - The intake manifold is modified with the shorter ram tubes (20mm shorter on 3 liter/10mm shorter on the 2/5 liter). The diameter of the tubes is increased slightly.

INJECTION VALVES - The diameter of the injection pintle has increased slightly for the increased displacement of the 3 liter engine. The injector for the 2.5 liter engine carries over from M52.

NON RETURN FUEL RAIL SYSTEM - The M54 engine MS 43.0 control uses the non return fuel rail system introduced on the M62TU engine. The system meets running loss compliance without the use of the 3/2 way solenoid valve currently used on the M52TU engine.

The regulated fuel supply is controlled by the fuel presure regulated integrated in the fuel filter. The fuel return line is also located on the filter.

The M54 engine uses an Electronic Controlled Throttle Valve (EDK) for intake air control. The idle control valve and turbulence function of the intake manifold carries over from the M52TU engine.

In summary:

The M54B30 has the same bore as the M54B25, but an increased stroke, which is what generates the extra half liter in displacement. The other differences are an upgraded crankshaft, forged camshaft, and increased diameter injection valves.

Yes vauxfan there are some differences but the fact the heads are the same the extra airflow from the 325 manifold has to yield more power but how much i dont know for sure until i get my car on a dyno. I know a guy in the states did the swap with the 330 manifold on to a 328 and had it on a dyno it was hitting 203hp i think this was with out a remap.You can read about it here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1519407 the dyno graph is on the last page of the thread .

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmafitzy View Post
    Quoted from user akhbhaat on e46fanatics:

Differences between the M52B25TU and the M54B25 (2.5L) are minimal, limited mostly to differences in ECU tuning and the intake manifold.

The M54B30, however, has a number of improvements of the base M52B25TU and B52B28TU designs.

This comparison primarily deals with the differences between the M54 and M52TU engines, but it also notes differences between the M54B30 and M54B25. Also interesting to note that the only significant difference between the M54B25 and M52TU is in the intake manifold.

M54 Engine - Mechanical Changes

NEW PISTONS - The piston has a shorter skirt compared to the M52TU and continues with the graphite coating for friction and emission reducing measures. The piston rings have been modified to reduce friction.

CRANKSHAFT - The crankshaft for the 3 liter M54 is adopted from the S52-B32 - M3 engine (forged). The crankshaft for the 2.5 liter is carried over from the M52.

CAMSHAFT - The camshaft for the 3 liter M54 is modified with more lift and new valve springs to accommodate the increased lift. The camshaft of the 2.5 liter M54 is carried over from the M52 engine.

INTAKE MANIFOLD - The intake manifold is modified with the shorter ram tubes (20mm shorter on 3 liter/10mm shorter on the 2/5 liter). The diameter of the tubes is increased slightly.

INJECTION VALVES - The diameter of the injection pintle has increased slightly for the increased displacement of the 3 liter engine. The injector for the 2.5 liter engine carries over from M52.

NON RETURN FUEL RAIL SYSTEM - The M54 engine MS 43.0 control uses the non return fuel rail system introduced on the M62TU engine. The system meets running loss compliance without the use of the 3/2 way solenoid valve currently used on the M52TU engine.

The regulated fuel supply is controlled by the fuel presure regulated integrated in the fuel filter. The fuel return line is also located on the filter.

The M54 engine uses an Electronic Controlled Throttle Valve (EDK) for intake air control. The idle control valve and turbulence function of the intake manifold carries over from the M52TU engine.

In summary:

The M54B30 has the same bore as the M54B25, but an increased stroke, which is what generates the extra half liter in displacement. The other differences are an upgraded crankshaft, forged camshaft, and increased diameter injection valves.

Yes vauxfan there are some differences but the fact the heads are the same the extra airflow from the 325 manifold has to yield more power but how much i dont know for sure until i get my car on a dyno. I know a guy in the states did the swap with the 330 manifold on to a 328 and had it on a dyno it was hitting 203hp i think this was with out a remap.You can read about it here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1519407 the dyno graph is on the last page of the thread .
    send me your email address and i will send you the pdf for both engines. my info came from ronnie on here when i asked the same question nearly 2 years ago when i bought mine!
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...om-325-t12925/

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    bmwmike's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Slusher
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    M52TU and M54 are very similar - much closer than comparing the M52 and M52TU.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123