318 ci se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    2000 318se manual.

hi guys i recently tried a cone filter on my car which made a lovely noise but then i had lots of problems.
    the plugs and ht leads all went and my engine management light keeps coming on.(related?)

my question is what can i put on the car as mine was oil inpregnated and i was told this could be the problem, however i want the noise back so any suggestion or advice, or does anyone know how to stop the light coming on

would a different panel filter make a louder noise than the standard

thanks
    Last edited by Martyn D.; 27-08-2010 at 18:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    the oiled cone filter would defo cause you problems and also a definate decrease in power....seemingly the oil plays havoc with the maf sensor..a pipercross panel filter fits straight into the stock air box giving more airflow tho unsure off the increased noise level...depending on finances you could opt for an afe kit..£375..or as a good few memebers here are opting for the dave f kit,,heatshiled etc..think it comes in at around the £170 mark..,,there was a thread on here regarding a group buy..hope this helps mate

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    i put a cone on my e46 auto and it played havoc with my auto gear box,it was restricting the air flow and the gear box would change down/up gears when it didnt need to and the revs where jumping all over the place i took it off and but the standard air filter back on and all the problems stopped i would defently say your problems where caused by your filter too just like gap141070 said for the best cheapest option is to go for a pipercross panel filter. ive not got one of these yet but i know people that have got these and the car does go well with a slight deeper sound

5. The Following User Says Thank You to d9n_dk For This Useful Post:

gap141070 (27-08-2010)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Metra's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Wow well this is a turn up tbh i have the same model and same year and i had a oil cone filter on my car as well and would you have it my engine management light keeps coming on as well.

Anyway i took mine cone filter off today and put the orginal airbox and filter back on and tbh i defo got performace back however i feel the dmg has alrdy been done not to sure though.

the car is booked in at bmw this tues so i will keep you up to date on what they say, after i have fixed whatever the issue is i am just going to put a paper performace filter in the airbox instead on

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Yer please keep us informed mate on what they say so I can see if I have same problems with mine

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    MTTID-JP-R464's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    ive got an e36 318 and its completely powerless, theres a cone filter on it, when u revv it in neutral it just makes a loud deep suck noise and blows air back out of the cone also heavy smell of petrol once you revv it a few times and also hits a limiter type thing at 3000 rpm and then runs off a cylinder, but if u kill it then start it again she runs on all 4 cylinders, any ideas and also sorry if im in the wrong place for this question cheers guys
    !! If In Doubt, Arse Out !!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    MTTID-JP-R464's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    right a bit more info here, i taped up the cone it ran a little better, i then unplugged Air flow meter and it ran a hell of a lot better but still a bit flat, any ideas from there? also i untaped the cone and it went back to complete powerlessness... somebody help
    !! If In Doubt, Arse Out !!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MTTID-JP-R464 View Post
    ive got an e36 318 and its completely powerless, theres a cone filter on it, when u revv it in neutral it just makes a loud deep suck noise and blows air back out of the cone also heavy smell of petrol once you revv it a few times and also hits a limiter type thing at 3000 rpm and then runs off a cylinder, but if u kill it then start it again she runs on all 4 cylinders, any ideas and also sorry if im in the wrong place for this question cheers guys
    Quote Originally Posted by MTTID-JP-R464 View Post
    right a bit more info here, i taped up the cone it ran a little better, i then unplugged Air flow meter and it ran a hell of a lot better but still a bit flat, any ideas from there? also i untaped the cone and it went back to complete powerlessness... somebody help
    Start a new thread in the E36 section and you are sure to get the help you require,

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Metra's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi again

as promised got the update i got the car back today anyway the MAF sensor was at fault also looking at my repair sheet here S/R ctl valve for engine ventilation replaced and replaced engine vent pipe £408 all done the MAF was due to the induction BM says anyway the other to items was just age i think.

Since i had it done yesterday drove it abit last night and to work and a few callouts today no engine light as of yet so fingers crossed i can go ahead with my CNL remap thats booked in

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Metra View Post
    Hi again

as promised got the update i got the car back today anyway the MAF sensor was at fault also looking at my repair sheet here S/R ctl valve for engine ventilation replaced and replaced engine vent pipe £408 all done the MAF was due to the induction BM says anyway the other to items was just age i think.

Since i had it done yesterday drove it abit last night and to work and a few callouts today no engine light as of yet so fingers crossed i can go ahead with my CNL remap thats booked in
    ok cheers mate the thing with mine is now ive taken the filter back off ive got power back just when driving at a steady pase the revs r lumpy but the speed stays the same when i boot i still got power mine is the 320i auto e46 2002 model

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast