Model of Car:
    318 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    Just thought I'd pop a little post up to let you know how I'm going on with my 318tds touring.

firstly I gave it a much needed service and went through it top to bottom, all filters including pollen filter and all fluids. This improved it but it was still not great, I ordered a chip off e-bay for £89 and when it turned up I soldered it into the ECU my self not anywhere near as hard as people would have you believe.

This improved things no end it actually picked up quite respectably and had much better drivability. I then blocked the EGR valve off at the intake manifold end but left all of the solinoids in place so as not to throw up any fault codes. while I was in that area i took it off and gave it a good clean out I used wurth brake and chain cleaner and the gunk just fell away no problems.

Once it was clean I put it all back together and has made a big difference to the car again smoother and stronger below 2k rpm my next little adjustment will be adding 2 full turns of preload to the turbo actuator as it's a garret turbo this should add about 2 psi of boost enough to be noticed but not too much as to cause any problems i'll let you know how I go on.

So for the cost of £89 for the chip and a few pounds for service items along with a couple of hours labour I can honestly say that it's been transformed from when i picked it up.
    Last edited by jase750; 16-11-2009 at 17:44.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jamiewright1990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jase750 View Post
    Just thought I'd pop a little post up to let you know how I'm going on with my 318tds touring.

firstly I gave it a much needed service and went through it top to bottom, all filters including pollen filter and all fluids. This improved it but it was still not great, I ordered a chip off e-bay for £89 and when it turned up I soldered it into the ECU my self not anywhere near as hard as people would have you believe.

This improved things no end it actually picked up quite repectably and had much better drivability. I then blocked the EGR valve off at the intake manifold end but left all of the solinoids in place so as not to throw up any fault codes. while I was in that area i took it off and gave it a good clean out I used wurth brake and chain cleaner and the gunk just fell away no problems.

Once it was clean I put it all back together and has made a big difference to the car again smoother and stronger below 2k rpm my next little adjustment will be adding 2 full turns of preload to the turbo actuator as it's a garret turbo this should add about 2 psi of boost enough to be noticed but not too much as to cause any problems i'll let you know how I go on.

So for the cost of £89 for the chip and a few pounds for service items along with a couple of hours labour I can honestly say that it's been transformed from when i picked it up.
    sounds good mate, are they the same chips tht are made for the 325tds in bulgaria? and has the economy changed?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jase750's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if they are the same chip i got mine off some one called toperform1 or something like that.

economy has really improved, at the moment i'm doing a 76 mile commute every day no motorways or dual carridgeways just A roads and town traffic. and I'm getting 47mpg.
    thats full tank to full tank calculation.
    I'd expect even more on a run.

I'd really recommend blanking off the EGR and cleaning it out this had a really marked effect on the economy and best of all it's free

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jamiewright1990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jase750 View Post
    I'm not sure if they are the same chip i got mine off some one called toperform1 or something like that.

economy has really improved, at the moment i'm doing a 76 mile commute every day no motorways or dual carridgeways just A roads and town traffic. and I'm getting 47mpg.
    thats full tank to full tank calculation.
    I'd expect even more on a run.

I'd really recommend blanking off the EGR and cleaning it out this had a really marked effect on the economy and best of all it's free
    thats good to hear mate, u should post some sound clips

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    jase750's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring
    Thanks
    It doesn't sound any different than the usual little turbo whistle I might take out the soot trap that usually helps on spool up without making it drone too much

8. turbo 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    hixxy299's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    hi im just asking if any 1 knows what uprated turbo i can put on my 318tds ?
    dose a 325tds turbo fit ? ? ? please help thanks

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Gols's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual transmition
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    hi guys i am new on this forum . The feetback on the chip looks good but this is 2 years ago
    so Jesi how is that engine going? I am thinking to go for that chip and also got a few ideas of upgrate on intercooler and to find a geo variable turbo or p
    ut one from a 325tds.. On a tdi forum i read someme nice up grade ex from 90 hp to 147. Our engine can handle more than that what do you think guys???i will chek the numbers on the formula and let you know. Bye