1998 E38 740i 4.4i V8 - more performance and noise - Page 2

Notices
 

Thread: 1998 E38 740i 4.4i V8 - more performance and noise

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1.  
    #11
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bigjim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    740i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone know if i remove the cats will it upset my ECU?
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #12
    Premium Member
    Car Details
    6891_seb's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    6891_seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    4,131
    Thanks
    3,851
    Thanked 3,881 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    My father gave me his old car,its 1998 E38 740i 4.4 V8,he`d had it since new,MSports seats,suspension and alloys,FSH and only 74000,its lovely old bus but would like to hear that V8 abit more and give it a bit of a power upgrade without making it vulgar or spending a fortune.Any suggestions?
    .......you got a good DAD!!!
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    6891_seb Project Thread

    6891_seb Project Thread Blog

    * Discounted BMW OEM Parts Shop *
     
     

  4.  
    #13
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bigjim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    740i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Aye he`s a good guy,but was a handfull in his younger days!He`s got himself his first diesel motor,a new black X5 and he loves it
     
     

  5.  
    #14
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ammo1980's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    740i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    Anyone know if i remove the cats will it upset my ECU?

    Not sure if it will trip your "check engine" light.

    I've de-catted mine, and it sounds awesome. Very normally quiet at anything below 2000rpm, but if you have full throttle at about 2500rpm, it sounds sweet. Otherwise it's a completely normal exhaust.

    The ECU will automatically adjust to match the increased airflow. You can speed up the process by resetting the ECU: Disconnecting the battery and connect the plus and minus wires (on your car) to each other for 10 minutes (remember to write down the stereo code etc), then re-connect the battery and drive normally for a few miles to let the ECU learn the best new values for your car.

    Not sure how it will affect your fuel economy, but you will get more power from de-catting it as well, typically about 10% more (25-30bhp). Not sure about torque.
     
     

  6. Remap 740 v8 
    #15
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Emaps Scotland's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
    Hi Bigjim,

    I think we can help also on the tuning front.

     
     

  7.  
    #16
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    dhmc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    there was a guy on the e46 fanatics forum that sent me a link to an exhaust for the v8 sounded amazing.. i'll have a dig
     
     

  8.  
    #17
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    540
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    TheEnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    8,979
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ammo1980 View Post
    Not sure if it will trip your "check engine" light.

    I've de-catted mine, and it sounds awesome. Very normally quiet at anything below 2000rpm, but if you have full throttle at about 2500rpm, it sounds sweet. Otherwise it's a completely normal exhaust.

    The ECU will automatically adjust to match the increased airflow. You can speed up the process by resetting the ECU: Disconnecting the battery and connect the plus and minus wires (on your car) to each other for 10 minutes (remember to write down the stereo code etc), then re-connect the battery and drive normally for a few miles to let the ECU learn the best new values for your car.

    Not sure how it will affect your fuel economy, but you will get more power from de-catting it as well, typically about 10% more (25-30bhp). Not sure about torque.

    Been digging?

    You are spot on about the cat removal, if you can clear gasses out quicker, the ECU will adjust for the better filling. Some later full OBD2 cars will flag up a cat efficiency check engine light though.

    There's a Birmingham meet coming up in Feb. I'd be interested to see and hear the big 7!
     
     

  9.  
    #18
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ammo1980's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    740i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic Steptronic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    Been digging?

    You are spot on about the cat removal, if you can clear gasses out quicker, the ECU will adjust for the better filling. Some later full OBD2 cars will flag up a cat efficiency check engine light though.

    There's a Birmingham meet coming up in Feb. I'd be interested to see and hear the big 7!
    Hi, It's a long story really, my 740i is on LPG and the lambda sensors were shot. Couldn't get them out - thread had completely gone - and it was "exhaust removal" job to get them out - so just had the relevant section of exhaust cut out (which included the cats as they were clogged as well) and killed too birds with one stone.

    Good thing about LPG is that the emissions test doesn't require a cat!

    Think my car will be a bit embarrassing at a bimmer meet. It's a pretty standard 740i, albeit 15 years old. Was a bargain though!
     
     

  10. 1998 E38 740i 4.4i V8 - more performance and noise 
    #19
    BFuk Mankini Crew Member #1
    Car Details
    niall_farley's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is, e39 523i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998, 1999
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, 'loon
    niall_farley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    guisbrough
    Posts
    1,884
    Thanks
    958
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Mate I had a 728 and every time I c one I can't help but have a good look! Love them
    to fast to live
    to young to die

    click hear for extreme bbw punishment......
     
     

  11.  
    #20
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    540
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    TheEnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    8,979
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 2,440 Posts
    There will be a lot of standard/ untouched cars.

    I never knew LPG escapes the emissions though... learn something new every day!
     
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts