BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 e36 323i engine upgrading help

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr_Loverman 
#1 ·
Hi there whoever is reading this thread.

I am sorry if this problem with tuning a e36 323 has cropped up before but i just wanted to find out a few things myself for peace of mind:)

Anyways my 323 engine has covered 138k, i just recently changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and even the coolant has been re newed thanks to a lil help from HAYNES :thumbsup lol

what im tryna put across is i am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sortin out anything on a car but this my first bimmer i want more power...obviously lol so iv read alot of things about what i can do from the net but i fort its best to hear from ya'll being the experts and i would appreciate any good advice as i am eager to get started on this engine.

so here it goes,

i was thinking of a full system from eisenmann cos i love the noise..anyone know how much that would cost? thanks

constantly...i keep hearing m50 manifold this nd that so i was thinkin one of those with a large throttle body which increases the bhp output to the 325 region. Anybody know of where i can find these nd how much? thanks

for the induction i was thinkin of the K&N typhoon or maybee the VIS from pipercross..but does anybody know of something that is better? i want a better roar than a vr6!:lol

Again iv herd of US m3 cams and also the schrick cams..what would you recommend? and any chance of prices? thanks

And finally a re-map and the only people i have in mind are the B & W chiptune guys i see al the time at the bimmerflex shows.

I also forgot to mention, is there anything i can do to keep that engine running as smoothly as possible because 138k is a lot of mileage and i wanna keep the engine running as long as possible (im sorry to doubt a bimmer engine but like i said peace of mind).

Thank you for taking the time to read this i know its a lot but again i appreciate all the advice.

Perry Singh:thumbsup

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh i almost forgot, how do i tell if the VANOS dosnt work because with a m3 3.2 evo in the family the vanos went after 65000k! anyone know how to refurb these or what to do with them?

And now the final final thing..sorry..does anyone know where i can buy an LSD for my bimmer..which one to buy and much much i should expect to pay?

again thanks alot people:thumbsup

#3 ·
M3 LSD will fit and will change the gearing from 2.93 to 3.15, alternatively get an LSD off an early 328 sport. They cost around £300.

Vanos, usually rattles when gone. If you listen in the engine bay and rev it, it should click over at about 2500-3k RPM. A diag will also show the fault.

Manifold, either do it yourself or buy a preconverted one. They pop up in the For Sale section occasionally ;)

Cams - US M3 ones are about £300 and then you need to import them! Be careful as they have the same markings as the 325 cams. Alternatively get a fresh set built to your own specifications from Cat Cams - about £300 per cam! It's what I would do as the US M3 cams are still quite mild.

Air filter's were covered well in another thread recently http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f2/323i-e36-induction-kit-t6208/

Exhaust, fit a twin-pipe 328 sports exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.