BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 318is coupe - tuning guide

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  shady 
#1 ·
hi guys just wondering what power gains i can get from my bimmer without going ott, it already has an after market induction kit although this was fitted by the previous owner and it seems more noise than power is what he was looking for,

i understand that a catalytic converter can drain up to 13% of the power so that will be removed this weekend :thumbsup i have also ordered a stainless exhaust system from friend of mine who made lorry exhaust for a while(to keep cost down), i also want to uprate the ht leads,dizzy and spark plugs to improve response

basically what i would like to know is how much tried and tested methods of improvement is going to cost and what sort of power gains can be expected although i dont really want to spend more than a grand or so

cheers guys

#4 ·
I/H/E and a remap is about all I'd do myself - You're not starting with a great base to work off.. You already have the induction kit - Maybe swap it out for something more tried and tested, and more importantly if it's not already, heatshielded. Ceramic manifold, decat and s/s catback will make everything flow better and improve throttle response, but you won't see huge gains. Get a remap once all of that is done, and you'll have spent around £800 - The engine will be about as good as its going to be..

Honestly though, for the return you'll see in driving pleasure, and indeed sale value when it's time to move on, I just wouldn't bother. Steve's selling a 328 engine transplant on here for £350 - Buy that instead. Hell, if you wanna spend the cash, have someone install it for you - Much better use of the money.

If you're about to say you can't afford to insure a 328, how about putting the £1000 toward insurance instead? Sell yours, buy a comparitively priced 328, and spend the extra £1K on the insurance - Simples. If you're absolutely in love with your car, and can't stand to be parted, just wait until you are - Dropping a grand on a 318 is like hiring a high class hooker and then going to bed early and alone.

#5 ·
thanks guys, i see where your coming from with it being a waste of money spending money on it and just saving for a bigger car, i was just curious on what is possible i do have a few plans and im hoping to chip it later this month along with the exhaust.
the cat will be put back on also when it comes to M.O.T time :)
think im just going to get used to it for the next year with it being rwd i have little experience so maybe best to wait till i get a bigger engine.

thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.