BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 318is - Best BHP Gain Mod's

20K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  Lummox 
#1 ·
orite guys, basically i am looking into getting a bit more fun outta the coupe,

not wanting to spend a fortune on this obv, plus my gf is goin to be driving this shortly when she passes, so NO engine conversion's!!!

i am already looking into, BBTB's from a member on another forum 120 quid for an extra 5bhp, car's already lower on bilsteins feels great in corners etc so no need in that aspect, got m3 backbox, with de-cat,

is there anything else i can do and i mean anything!!! using parts from a bigger engine bmw etc, will to spend roughly no more than 500!!

cheers guys!!

#42 ·
you will need to check if you have a single or dual mass. some of the 318is' had a single mass.
the one i fitted shaved 50% of the weight off. its a gearbox out job, new clutch is also a good idea. i dont think you'll get much change from £300 if you DIY.

here's one i did earlier !
chromolly lightened m3 flywheel on m44 1.9 16v

with clutch, again m3 3.0

difference in clutch plate sizes

its a pig, heavy job, and you will need to re-bleed the clutch system

do the basics first. if you just want a little boost of power, why not buy a decent nitrous system ??

#45 ·
thanks matey!!

what cold air induction kits are proven on dyno runs etc for the IS to actually make a bhp gain!!

anoo some make more noise better grunt and some dnt sound good but owners have said they actually do make a better and smoother drive!!

#47 ·
i think a good mod would be some hot cams and a remap, would probably be good for 15bhp.

#48 ·
The mixture of the BBTB, exhaust and cone filter/heat shield/air feed = a much cleaner pull through the rev range. The BBTB cleans up the mid range flat spots with the exhaust and filter giving more pull for the engine. I found getting to the red line or even to the power band was a shed load quicker then with the standard sha-bang on.

Exhaust = £180
Filter/Air Feed/Heat shield = £90
BBTB = £120

You won't get a huge change in BHP but you will defo feel the difference in taking off the line so to speak :D

And yes you have a DMF :thumbsup

#52 ·
hmmm running nos through a engine that old with out a re-build is something I wouldn't be keen on doing. From spending £500 on getting the system and installing it could turn to 1000's from something going that can't handle the power due to it's age. (old part with in the engine)

If nos is the route you are going to take, wait a while till you have some more cash and go for a rebuild, sort the clutch/ fly wheel etc.. so then you can easily push the button with out the worry in the back of your mind that something is going to break.

Just my thinking :D

#65 ·
bw chip tune are a bit far away!!

i would love a turbo but probs more a supercharger but a don't think am gonna save up for 1 lol!!

defo an induction kit with heatshield, cams depending on price and what do they do??

is the manifold already on the IS pretty good??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.