BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 318is - Best BHP Gain Mod's

20K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  Lummox 
#1 ·
orite guys, basically i am looking into getting a bit more fun outta the coupe,

not wanting to spend a fortune on this obv, plus my gf is goin to be driving this shortly when she passes, so NO engine conversion's!!!

i am already looking into, BBTB's from a member on another forum 120 quid for an extra 5bhp, car's already lower on bilsteins feels great in corners etc so no need in that aspect, got m3 backbox, with de-cat,

is there anything else i can do and i mean anything!!! using parts from a bigger engine bmw etc, will to spend roughly no more than 500!!

cheers guys!!

#7 ·
where would you take it to get polished etc?? much and what and diff does it acheive!!!

really just wanting a rough 20bhp but more important just quicker 0-60mph!!

was going for BBTB's, maybe a CAI, but as far as i no they really don't achieve nothing?

anything like cams etc? that can be bought from another bmw model etc??

#8 ·
No need for bigger brakes if you want to gain bhp :confused :hihi

Try a larger diametre cone filter with cold air feed and a heat shield. Clean the grime off the inlet, iridium plugs, larger injectors, increase fuel pressure, ecu remap, run 0-30 oil if you feel lucky :thumbsup Should be all possible for less than a monkey.

#10 ·
No need for bigger brakes if you want to gain bhp :confused :hihi

Try a larger diametre cone filter with cold air feed and a heat shield. Clean the grime off the inlet, iridium plugs, larger injectors, increase fuel pressure, ecu remap, run 0-30 oil if you feel lucky :thumbsup
cheers matey, :thumbsup

already running the ngk plugs, was considering after bbtb's etc remap would be the last thing to do!!

larger injectors?? where and cost??

how do you increase fuel pressure??

am a novice as this lol!!:rofl

#14 ·
been told that a few times but i love this car and it suits me to a T with fuel etc and cheap to insure and now shes gonna be driving soon am not looking to buy a bigger car as fuel insurance plus a mortgage wont work lol!!

at most id be looking to spend 500 not all in the 1 shot just bit by bit slowly getting there!!

#15 ·
The most ive seen out of one of these engines (same as mine) is 160bhp on the rollers. It had a totally custom exhaust front to back for optimum back pressure, so not powerflow, or magnex, or supersprint etc, totally custom which requires some extreme maths & calculations. Lightened & balanced single mass flywheel with clutch to match. Uneccessary ancillarys removed, i.e aircon compressor, power steering pump (using a non power rack from an E30). DISA valve delete, port & polish the head and finally a remap.

These engnes are already fairly well tuned from factory, the standard exhaust system is very good, so replacing that with a random stainless system is more likely to lose you power rather than gain any. A cone filter will do next to nothing.

#22 ·
The most ive seen out of one of these engines (same as mine) is 160bhp on the rollers. It had a totally custom exhaust front to back for optimum back pressure, so not powerflow, or magnex, or supersprint etc, totally custom which requires some extreme maths & calculations. Lightened & balanced single mass flywheel with clutch to match. Uneccessary ancillarys removed, i.e aircon compressor, power steering pump (using a non power rack from an E30). DISA valve delete, port & polish the head and finally a remap.

These engnes are already fairly well tuned from factory, the standard exhaust system is very good, so replacing that with a random stainless system is more likely to lose you power rather than gain any. A cone filter will do next to nothing.
So why do most members on here (that can afford the ridiculous price) go for a Dave F kit? basically a large diamter cone filter, forced air intake pipe and a heatshield? ;)

#31 ·
Ok, i retract part of that statement.:silly It should have said "a chavy cone filter, with no heatedshield, no air feed & drawing warm air from the engine bay will do nothing, probably lose you power".:thumbsup Remember, lots more noise doesn't mean you're going faster!:hihi
I've nothing to compare to tbh, bought my car with a Scorpion fitted and k&n kit and some chip that was fitted years ago. It made 146 bhp when it was fitted and r/r'd. I've replaced the k&n with a Ramair kit fitted a heatshield and cold air feed. The shield made a noticable Improvement on pickup, no hot air as you say!

Oh and more noise does mean it's faster..
Ask any young Corsa driver about their tacked on jap backbox, they'll tell ya...

#16 ·
cheers matey,!!!i think ours are meant to be 140bhp standard from factory?? but every1 is diff so it could really be 130 - 135 bhp?? ad be quite happy with 150bhp and just alot more responsive and maybe pushing it but 1/2 sec off 0-60mhp!!!

there is sum company doing custom remaps on the m44's and they have been quoted at pushing out an extra 10bhp on the RR, for 250!!

i am not entirely sure what its called will look into this but seems a bit optimistic!!!

#19 ·
cheers,

aye my mate got his stock astra mk4 sri remapped and its was dyno'd with an extra 10bhp than standard and he was saying thats its not alot of bhp gain but you do notice a big diff after it was done, and i assume as 140bhp aint that massive but am sure you would majorly notice a 10 bhp gain!!!

#25 ·
haha good plan

theres a guy on my street who does remaps an he claimed hed get 10bhp n around 10nm more torque for 250 quid on my i.s i had a stream of thaught the other day but im not a hundred percent on how it would work

but the 318is is a 1.9 so theres not a large bore diffrence between that and a 325 say specially as that is a 6 cylinder so would it be possible to take four injectors from one (im assuming there larger here) and up the fuel pressure n team this with a aftermarket filter for more air intake?

#26 ·
there isnt much point in going and throwing too much money at the m44 engines as previously stated they are pretty good from the factory speak to RYM he managed to lose power after fitting an exhaust, filter, etc
the usual suspects are whats needed eg. filter, exhaust, remap and you may see 10-15 bhp if you're lucky, bbtb might be a worth while mod as well but i would do this before a remap so it can be taken into consideration
personally i wouldnt bother with larger injectors unless you are looking into forced induction or you are thinking about going down the 2.1 route but both of these require alot of work and and money to complete
there are a few more things like fitting an electric fan and removing the viscous coupling could possibly (or not) free up 1 or 2 bhp but for the work and money involved is it really worth it?

#28 ·
opinion on tuning the M44 with a small budget, but first the blah blah stuff.

There is always a lot of talk on, not worth it blah blah blah. Well if you want big power you have to pay. Its how far you want to go.

An engine swap is a cheap and easy option, but that’s missing the point. The best bit about the four cylinder is its light, all the weight behind the front axle line and it is tune-able to 300bhp, maybe more if you see some of the US tweeks.

Turbo is the big power option. It costs money though. However, I reckon with a bit of savvy you could do it at reasonable cost.

Supercharging is fun, linear power delivery and great noise. But expensive. Starts cheap but quickly develops to wonga land !

Ok. M44 on a budget

The usual tuning premises apply, you just need to combine them to get the best from the engine. The sum of the parts will create the biggest gains. You wont really ever get massive gains without a proper re-build though. But you can improve it.

Single items wont give you 50hp++ haha

Cold air feed - dead simple to do, cheap and will help
Airbox/filter - cheap enough, K&N as long as its not heavily oiled, Simota or ITG such like.
Exhaust - sports system can improve sound and will make some difference
Cat converter - go sports cat, still gets through MOT with increased flow capacity
Throttle body - Larger main butterfly and gas flowed, increase 15% flow
Cams - Will give a big gain,but can be expensive once you include followers and fitting
Remap - again can give improvements, but you need to improve the breathing, as with mods above.

Also loose some of the power sapped by the engine,
ie viscous fan – convert to electric
Duel mass flywheel – ditch this, get a single mass and have it lightened.
You could even go electric water pump, but you need to do belt changes then.

Pickup will improve with the above, it may not be a lot. But the sum of all the mods will add up.

ITS IN THE DETAIL

These are my views, you can agree/disagree. I have done most of the above and they all add up. My next trip to the rolling road should show an improvement on last time.

And to follow it did, up now to 226hp. just shy of my 230hp target.

keep rockin

#30 ·
cheers folks, well i dont have 500 sitting in my pocket am planning on just buyin bit by bit and gathering stuff, defo considering BBTB's, air filter or a CAI but along with that am going to replace standard parts etc that need done bushes, timing etc, as am not wanting to throw 300 in then sumit goes bang!!

cheers folks!!

#32 ·
nothing short of turbo conversions or similar is going to give much of a power increase, £500 isnt much much money and imho you would be better off spending money elsewhere to make your car a faster more capable machine, hence why i suggested brakes. you could also try removing weight etc which the insurance cant penalise you for but remove enough and it will increase your power to weight, have you thought about lighter panels and seats?

#33 ·
erm not really, i really like the half leathers lol!!

am not expecting much at the end of the day no matter how much power you have you always want more!!

am just looking for it to be a bit perkier!!

would rather my car was and looked mint than be a ok car and rapid!!

#34 ·
For the kind of money you are on about spending it aint gonna happen, especially if you want to keep it insurance friendly, even a exhaust and sports cat will wipe out your budget and the gains minimal, a induction kit will kill it! as you said no matter how much power you have you always want more, i would agree but in your case you are going to have alot deeper pockets for that to happen!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.