1996 E36 328i Tourer - Performance & Mods Advice!!

Notices

Thread: 1996 E36 328i Tourer - Performance & Mods Advice!!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 1996 E36 328i Tourer - Performance & Mods Advice!! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bulkmeister's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hey People

Im fairly new to the world bm's and tuning them, so I thought i'd come here on ask for advice from the experts! ( you lot)

I've bought a e36 328i tourer (1996) which I love but im looking at improving it some areas. Firstly in the handling department. What lowering kits/ suspension packages would anyone recommend? I've found a Weitec package (shocks and springs with a 40mm drop) that fits my price bracket (300-400 quid). Has any one used this set up? Is it any good?

Also is it worth fitting an lsd ? Im not going drifting or anything like that. Just want to improve things sensibly where i can. What would be the best to go for? One off a 328 sport or an 'M' model ??? Lsd's are a bit of a dark art to me so any help would be appreciated

Im going to fit the usual upper strut brace, Just wondering if anyone knows of a lower brace as well that I can use. Am i right in thinking one was used on some of the cabrio models???

Last but not least wheels. Got the standard 328 16"s on at the mo. What do peeps recommend to upgrade too for best handling? 17"s or 18"s. Staggered or not?

Sorry for all the newbie questions and knowing me i've probably posted this in the wrong place but i want to get things right first time. Haven't really got the funds to make a mess of it

thanks everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,732 Posts
    Welcome to the forum. For the money you are looking at I'd be looking at an Eibach / Bilstein combo or maybe a Bilstein suspension kit.

The info you have on the lower brace is correct.

LSD depends on the sort of driving you do. Many fit the 3:15 diff of the 3.0 M3 which will give slightly better acceleration but will rev higher on the motorway.

Personally I like E36's on 17"s - loads of factory options out there as well.

Might be worth adding the M50 manifold to your list as well.

Ian

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian S For This Useful Post:

bulkmeister (12-04-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hey thanks for the quick reply,

I will defiantely look at the Bilstein kit and get some costs together.

As for the Lsd, Im not a top end junkie anyway, prefer the buzz of acceleration. So that sound like the way forward to me. How much of a pain are they to fit?

And yeah been looking into M50 manifold swap. I've read some mixed things about it. I know it definately increase HP but does it effect torque etc? Engine mods was going to be the last thing on my list really as I like to get the handling right first.

cheers

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdane36323's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs

With regards to the M50 manifold torque issue, I didnt really notice to be honest. A remap does sort this out though if you believe you can feel a lack in torque and it really compliments the new larger intake manifold

M3 exhaust manifolds are a decent mod too as yours is already a twin pipe, not sure whether it bolts straight on? Or a decent spaghetti type stainless manifold.

Induction kits and larger bore throttle body also yields power with the above mods. Its all about getting the right amount of air and fuel into the engine and allowing it to happily escape

If you dont already know about the gold tee mod for you exhaust back box then look it up in the Guides and how to's threads. It opens a butterfly in the exhaust giving it a nicer note in all rev ranges instead of just full throttle.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdane36323; 12-04-2011 at 11:31. Reason: mistake

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I take it you can change the M50 manifold over without changing over the throttle bodies then and still see an improvement? I've found a guy on The Bay of E who offers a kit (with or without the manifold included). Dont know if you guys can recommend anyone on here though?

My car's an early '96. Is the Ecu Mapable? Or would I have to replace it with a aftermarket job? How can I tell??

Oh and about Induction Kits. Everyone raves on on about the DAVE F. But I cant find one for love or money lol. Seen a few that look similar ( K+N 57??) or do the Closed induction style (BMC CDA type) work better?

Will Check out the other mods you suggested

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Early '96 should be OK, there are some ECUs from mid 1995 that had one of the most awkward chips possible, a "one time programable" chip that costs about £20, and only one expensive eprom programmer will program it.

Add to that the fact it needs to be unsoldered, so it is far easier to just find a s/h ECU that is reprogrammable.
    Anyway, In your case, you should be fine.

For induction kits, I'd recommend the Dave F first, but the K&N 57i as a good alternate kit, as the Dave F kits are out of production, and often quite highly priced second hand.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

bulkmeister (12-04-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Just had a look at a the Bilstein shocks. Seems there are couple of options that stand out ( price being a factor) These are the B10 kit (shocks and springs ) or use the B8 shocks and match with Eibach springs (Sportline range). Are these the ones you guys meant?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    alpina527's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bulkmeister View Post
    I take it you can change the M50 manifold over without changing over the throttle bodies then and still see an improvement? I've found a guy on The Bay of E who offers a kit (with or without the manifold included). Dont know if you guys can recommend anyone on here though?

I can supply you with a complete manifold and bbtb conversion that is machined and converted with custom made parts to bolt straight on with no leaks etc. It's nothing like the Ebay job either. It won't lose torque either. It just moves the torque curve up the rev band by 250rpm

pm me if you need any info.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I pm'd you

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulkmeister View Post
    Just had a look at a the Bilstein shocks. Seems there are couple of options that stand out ( price being a factor) These are the B10 kit (shocks and springs ) or use the B8 shocks and match with Eibach springs (Sportline range). Are these the ones you guys meant?
    I was thinking of the B10 kit or maybe Eibach Pro springs with Bilstein B6 dampers.

My take on the M50 manifold is if it was fine on the smaller capacity 325...

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast